Faster and better pictures in PS CS4

Old April 17th 09, 05:15 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,uk.rec.photo.misc

Default Faster and better pictures in PS CS4

"Savageduck"

| | Here take a look at this: http://tv.adobe.com/#vi+f15629v1001
|

| thanks, yes - 3D rendering.
|

| not impressed.
|

| Interpolating images for viewing *while I'm editing* is the silliest
idea
| ever. and moves the software along with the modern video cards further
away
| from being graphics editing cards than ever before
|

| There's a reason image editing programs other than Adobe zoomed by
factors,
| it was to avoid interpolating.
|
| There are somethings I like about CS4 and some I have to still get
| familiar with. I am using the Standard version,
| I don't need or use the 3D or video stuff.
|
| Overall It works pretty well for me. I am using it on a PowerBook Pro
| 17 2.93G with the dual switchable option NVIDIA GeForce 9400M and 9600M

it sounds like something you can't avoid, unless you manually zoom by a
factor of 4, everything else is interpolated - as to whether the
interpolation extends further than this I don't know. Can it be turned
f? - the whole using the GPU aspect that is.

The powerbook uses a current MAc OS? Something i've been keen to find out
but have not yet got a definative answer on is, can the Quartz engine be
turned off? that too uses 3D rendering to render 2D, again hiding image
faults like jaggies, banding, moire and the like..

For a 2D imaging program the last thing I'd want is the OS or the graphics
program trying to make my inages look better than they are. I would need to
see every fault, every glaw so I could fix them..

A scenario: I had some serious banding and moire issues in an image sent to
me which the creator assured me was perfect. he was not seeing the moire or
banding in his browser or in any other program he used on his mac. Didnt
matter how bad the pic was, he was sure the fault lay at my end..

not a problem I figure, if he wants to tell the rest of the world his image
is fine when it's clearly not, good luck to him. I just felt it a shame he
was blindly adopting 'pro' tools without being logical or critical in his
choice.

Personally I think MS, Apple and Adobe have abandoned those striving for
image quality and instead trying to make everything they handle look better
to the user in the hope they'll enjoy the *experience* more

...kinda like, make it easy for everyone to get rooly good images then
they'll buy our software..

but then again, how many folks are running real 2D cards like Matrox's
anymore?

Old April 17th 09, 06:47 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,uk.rec.photo.misc
Savageduck

On 2009-04-16 21:15:12 -0700, "k" said:

"Savageduck"

| | Here take a look at this: http://tv.adobe.com/#vi+f15629v1001
|

| thanks, yes - 3D rendering.
|

| not impressed.
|

| Interpolating images for viewing *while I'm editing* is the silliest
idea
| ever. and moves the software along with the modern video cards further
away
| from being graphics editing cards than ever before
|

| There's a reason image editing programs other than Adobe zoomed by
factors,
| it was to avoid interpolating.
|
| There are somethings I like about CS4 and some I have to still get
| familiar with. I am using the Standard version,
| I don't need or use the 3D or video stuff.
|
| Overall It works pretty well for me. I am using it on a PowerBook Pro
| 17 2.93G with the dual switchable option NVIDIA GeForce 9400M and 9600M

it sounds like something you can't avoid, unless you manually zoom by a
factor of 4, everything else is interpolated - as to whether the
interpolation extends further than this I don't know. Can it be turned
f? - the whole using the GPU aspect that is.

Here is the CS4 Prefs window for Mac showing OpenGL Enabled; Advanced
Settings window open;
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/CS4-Prefs_01.jpg

The powerbook uses a current MAc OS?

Current OS Mac OS X 10.5.6

Something i've been keen to find out
but have not yet got a definative answer on is, can the Quartz engine be
turned off? that too uses 3D rendering to render 2D, again hiding image
faults like jaggies, banding, moire and the like..

The Quartz engine appears to be derigeur. All adjustments are made via
ColorSync Utility

For a 2D imaging program the last thing I'd want is the OS or the graphics
program trying to make my inages look better than they are. I would need to
see every fault, every glaw so I could fix them..

Currently GeForce 9600M GT is active;
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechut...em-Info_02.jpg

A scenario: I had some serious banding and moire issues in an image sent to
me which the creator assured me was perfect. he was not seeing the moire or
banding in his browser or in any other program he used on his mac. Didnt
matter how bad the pic was, he was sure the fault lay at my end..

I cannot speak for the creator of the image you had to deal with, but I
have been able to detect moire on this and older G4 Macs I have.

not a problem I figure, if he wants to tell the rest of the world his image
is fine when it's clearly not, good luck to him. I just felt it a shame he
was blindly adopting 'pro' tools without being logical or critical in his
choice.

Personally I think MS, Apple and Adobe have abandoned those striving for
image quality and instead trying to make everything they handle look better
to the user in the hope they'll enjoy the *experience* more

..kinda like, make it easy for everyone to get rooly good images then
they'll buy our software..

but then again, how many folks are running real 2D cards like Matrox's
anymore?

My needs are probably less demanding as I certainly don't use my
photography or printing at anything that could be described as a
professional level. Regardless it is all very interesting and
informative.

Savageduck

Old April 17th 09, 02:10 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,uk.rec.photo.misc
nospam

In article , Bob Larter
wrote:

Currently GeForce 9600M GT is active;
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechut...em-Info_02.jpg

The PC version of PS (CS3) has a similar dialog, but with fewer options.

cs3 only used the gpu for 3d acceleration. cs4 uses the gpu for quite
a bit more, including pixel bender which few people seem to know
exists.

Old April 18th 09, 05:25 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,uk.rec.photo.misc

"Bob Larter" wrote in message
| k wrote:
| but then again, how many folks are running real 2D cards like Matrox's
| anymore?
|
| Me, for one. A Matrox APVe.

got the parhelia and G450 duals myself

Faster and better pictures in PS CS4 Focus[_5_] Digital SLR Cameras 14 April 18th 09 05:25 AM
Taking pictures faster SebNoker Digital Photography 10 September 10th 08 02:26 AM
f1.8 or faster Jay Digital Photography 1 January 9th 06 03:41 AM
Why are DSLRs faster? Charlie Digital Photography 38 February 28th 05 11:14 PM
10D still faster fs Digital Photography 18 August 16th 04 06:28 PM