Insane new TSA rule for film inspection

Old June 20th 04, 09:16 AM
TP

Default Insane new TSA rule for film inspection

"Bandicoot" wrote:

Sooner or later someone - a dealer, or maybe Kodak or Fuji - might start an
'order before you fly, pick it up at the destination airport' service, which
would remove the problem for the major destinations.

Sooner or later we will all use digital when we travel by air.

I did that on my last trip to New York. It was a blessed relief not
to have to worry about film, hand inspections etc..

On my last trip to Spain (I go two or three times a year to shoot real
estate) I took a calculated risk and passed the film through the hand
baggage scanners going both ways. No problems, but the fastest film I
had was ISO 100.

Old June 20th 04, 08:04 PM
ThomasH

TP wrote:

"Bandicoot" wrote:

Sooner or later someone - a dealer, or maybe Kodak or Fuji - might start an
'order before you fly, pick it up at the destination airport' service, which
would remove the problem for the major destinations.

Sooner or later we will all use digital when we travel by air.

I did that on my last trip to New York. It was a blessed relief not
to have to worry about film, hand inspections etc..

Lets just hope that the ever stronger security measures
will not introduce scanning devices harmful to electronics...

Just a thought:
For non-professionals transition to digital is not such a
straight forward decision: You will write off your gear and
gladly replace it. We observe a bit more how much still can
be done to the camera sensors and how fast the current gear
devalues. For example, there is a mass of D30's and D60's out
there, many D60 owners wish they would have a 10D... Now the
D1MkII sets fully new margins in noise/signal ratio, everybody
will be measured on this standard. Whoever travels with photo
gear for vacation only, will be likely to rather accept the
inconvenience of passing airports with film over the rather
long term consequence of owning gear of a very temporary
technical standard...

Thomas

Old June 21st 04, 01:04 AM
Frank Pittel

There's also Central Camera, Calumet Photo, Helix, etc.

wrote:
: On 16 Jun 2004 18:20:18 -0700,
(Jerry L.)
: wrote:

: Next trip, use your computer to find a camera store in
: Chicago....there has to be a few in a city that size.
: And, surprise, the camera store will probably have film for sale.

: Lots of stores, but they're the usual suspects: Wolf, Ritz, et al. The
: sales they may have at any given time may not necessarily coincide
: with my film usage. I've never seen TMax p3200 on sale, or Tri-X, for
: example.

: Most of these chain stores will, at some point, sell 4-roll promo
: packs of Fuji Superia 400/800 or Agfa Vista 400 print film in 24 or 27
: exp rolls. Usually works out to about $1.50-$2/roll.

: Chicago Camera, the city's oldest camera store, charges $83 for a
: pro-pack of Fuji Press 800 in 36 exp. That's $4.15 per roll. They get
: $5.30 per roll for TMax p3200 36 exp.

: B-H gets $59.80 for the Fuji pro-pack,= $2.99/roll. P3200 is $5.69ea
: (USA), $2.99 grey market. Today their website says they're out of
: stock on both.

: My prices from my source in New England: $38 for the Fuji pro-pack
: ($1.90ea), $3.50ea for USA TMax p3200.

: So, shopping the sales in Chicago doesn't appear to be a viable
: option. Way ditto for New Orleans, Memphis, and even San Francisco.
: New York maybe. Big Boulder, PA and Helena, AR? No way.

: Cheers,

: JJ

-------------------

Old June 23rd 04, 04:29 AM
Bandicoot

"ThomasH" wrote in message
TP wrote:

"Bandicoot" wrote:

Sooner or later someone - a dealer, or maybe Kodak or Fuji - might

start an
'order before you fly, pick it up at the destination airport' service,

which
would remove the problem for the major destinations.

Sooner or later we will all use digital when we travel by air.

I did that on my last trip to New York. It was a blessed relief not
to have to worry about film, hand inspections etc..

Lets just hope that the ever stronger security measures
will not introduce scanning devices harmful to electronics...

Yep. Given how semi-conductors work (I mean at the crystal level) one
really ought to expect x-rays to damage them. The harder the x-rays, the
faster the damage ought to accrue.

I haven't seen any research on this, but it seems logical. (Think of how
thermoluminescence happens, for example.)

Just a pessimistic thought...

Peter

Old June 23rd 04, 05:17 AM
Mxsmanic

Bandicoot writes:

Yep. Given how semi-conductors work (I mean at the crystal level) one
really ought to expect x-rays to damage them. The harder the x-rays, the
faster the damage ought to accrue.

The first thing high-energy EMR will do to chips is discharge any
accumulated charges within them by ionizing the semiconductor. So
they'll erase memory chips. It takes a lot of energy to do this, but it
can be done. Much higher energies are required to do any permanent
damage. Remember that EEPROMS can be erased by ultraviolet light, which
is much softer than x rays.