GPS

Old January 23rd 17, 03:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

Default GPS

On 1/22/2017 10:23 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

According to nospam, your comment is irrelevant. Don't you see that if
you refute a nospam comment your refutation is irrelevant.

according to nospam, you're once again making up ****.

You tell more lies than our President.

however many lies i tell (which is very low, i can assure you) is
nowhere near as many as you.

Thank you. Your assurance is comforting
and irrelevant

--
PeterN
Old January 23rd 17, 08:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2017-01-22 03:56, Alfred Molon wrote:
Any reason why (almost) no DSLRs or ILCs have inbuilt GPS? Sony had a
number of models with GPS in the past, but then took this feature out.

Given that cameras get more and more expensive, cost can't be the
reason. Battery life isn't impacted by GPS, at least not in the Sony
models.

Short version: there are many things about a DSLR that drive the
purchase choice. GPS is very low in priority for most DSLR buyers -
nice-to-have v. essential to making photos.

Well, it would drive my purchase choice. It's just about the only
feature that would make me think about changing my Canon 40D.

The camera will drive my choice. For GPS I carry a separate GPS
receiver and tag the photos using EXIFTOOL before editing. I'd like to
avoid that step if possible in a future camera - but the camera is more
important than it having GPS.

My next camera might be in this week. It does have GPS.

And of course GPS uses power and of course it is added cost.

I have got a Panasonic compact superzoom with GPS. Before a firmware
update GPS drained the battery very quickly. Since the update, there's
not much difference between having it switched on or off.

Apparently, pre-update, the GPS was on all the time, regardless of power
state. Now it's off when powered down, and polls a few times a minute.

That's good. But additional 'stuff' is additional power - even if a
small amount.

--
"If war is God's way of teaching Americans geography, then
recession is His way of teaching everyone a little economics."
Old January 24th 17, 10:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
Alan Browne wrote:

My next camera might be in this week. It does have GPS.

Just keep us hanging, right? Spill the beans! What did you get?
--
teleportation kills