Long term camera storage.

Old November 14th 05, 07:09 PM
Joseph Chamberlain, DDS

Default Long term camera storage.

Dear list members:

Since I have now moved entirely to digital I am left with film equipment
that is still in excellent condition and very dear to me. I don't anticipate
using film again any time soon. So this raises the question: What is the
best way to store this film equipment for an extended period of time,
avoiding premature deterioration due to moisture and other environmental
conditions ?

I thought of packing the camera and some lenses in one of those
vacuum-sealed bags (the type they show on TV where they place veggies inside
and then suck the air out to maintain them fresh). I also thought of placing
those silica gel pouches similar to the ones they use inside leather goods
to prevent moisture build-up.

What suggestions would you offer for such a task ? Where can I find these
silica gel pouches and is this really the best way to keep moisture and
fungal growth away from the equipment ?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Joseph

---

Dr. Joseph Chamberlain
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

Old November 14th 05, 08:29 PM
nick c

Joseph Chamberlain, DDS wrote:
[...]

I'm probably going to be faced with the same situation, sometime in the
future; near or distant. I made inquires at a couple of independent
camera repair centers.

I was told to wrap lenses in over-the-counter Plastic Wrap, the same
plastic wrap that used in the kitchen to wrap foodstuffs. As for camera
bodies, they shouldn't be wrapped or stored in such manner that they
can't be occasionally cycled several times and while inactive and while
inactive, the shutter should be uncocked. Naturally, batteries should be
removed while the camera remains unused. Don't store equipment on
shelves of closets or other areas that may see temperatures outside the
range of what may be considered as normal room temperature.

Old November 14th 05, 09:54 PM
Colin D

[...]

Since film is mature technology and availability is diminishing almost
daily, I would suggest that you will never use the film cameras again.
They may be dear to you, but it's time to do a reality check, and sell
them while they may be worth something. Or donate them to a school or
college photographic department for youngsters to start their
photographic adventures.

If you store them for an 'extended period', one day you will come across
them in the back of your cupboard, unpack them, fire the shutter a few
times, and put them away again.

Realize that technology - and yourself - have grown past them.

I did this with my Canon film cameras. It troubled me for a few days,
then I forgot about them, and I have no regrets at all.

Colin D.
Old November 14th 05, 11:47 PM
jaf

Hi Joe,
Vacuum works fine. Doing it twice is even better. A camera inside a bag,
inside a bag.

Desiccant is the proper term for the silica gel. Do a Google search and you
will find some.

If you want to get real serious about it first clean the equipment.
Wrap it in clean cheese cloth. Evacuate the first bag and then pressurize it
with dry nitrogen. Seal & repeat.

If a leak develops the nitrogen leaks out, but there is no vacuum to suck
moister into the packaging.

Of course you need special equiptment with one way valves...

John

.. .

Old November 15th 05, 12:36 AM
Norm Dresner

"jaf" wrote in message news:Vl9ef.60$XE1.57@trndny07...
Hi Joe,
Vacuum works fine. Doing it twice is even better. A camera inside a bag,
inside a bag.

Desiccant is the proper term for the silica gel. Do a Google search and
you will find some.

I saw it on the Adorama web site

http://www.adorama.com

Old November 15th 05, 01:24 AM
TW

Ask yourselft seriously the question whether you will ever use the film
based equipment again. If the answer is "No", then I sugges you store them
in the hands of someone else who will use them.

Old November 15th 05, 10:56 PM
Ed Mullikin

I kept my film cameras for 18 months and never used them. They were "dear"
to me but I sold them on e-bay after I realized that my sentiment was
blinding me to the facts.

Old November 16th 05, 06:24 AM
Hussam

Most of you are advising him on doing a "reality check" and selling his
film-based equipment. But what's wrong with keeping it as a collector
item for display and occasional use.. How many of you have an old
1960's or 1970's car that is stored in the garage 90% of the time and
only driven on a few sunny days per year, and it's worth it! How many
of you have antiques that you value just for the sake of being a fine
piece of piece of technical marvel (whatever it may be, a clock, a
watch, a camera!)....

For example, I absolutely love playing with and even just looking at my
Yashica Electro 35 GSN (circa 1970's). I don't use it, but it's there
on the shelf next to other decorative pieces.... Oh yeah, my Nikon
FE-2 is there too :-)

I don't intend on selling any of them.. they are beautiful pieces of
machines...

But unless you want to store and hide the camera in the depths of a
dark closet not to be seen or enjoyed in anyway, then yeah, MIGHT AS
WELL SELL IT!

Hussam

Old November 17th 05, 07:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Hussam wrote:

Most of you are advising him on doing a "reality check" and selling his
film-based equipment. But what's wrong with keeping it as a collector
item for display and occasional use..

Depends on the camera. If it's an electronic AF camera like an EOS etc, I
highly doubt it will be collectable or even be something you'd want to
display? Maybe an all metal MF vintage SLR might be interesting to collect?

--

Stacey