suggestion for Tornoto nature photography in January

Old December 6th 03, 07:53 PM
john

Default suggestion for Tornoto nature photography in January

Hello everyone:

I am visiting mu in-laws in Januaray in Toronto. Due to holiday
airline traffic and lack of available seats I'm forced to stay there a
couple of extra days more than I would like to, so I figured why not
make a photo trip out of it.

I shoot mainly 4X5 nature stuff (no buidling).

anyone has any suggestion on places I can go around Toronto? I know
Canada in general is beautiful... Any suggestions will make my visit
way more interesting and therefore I will greatly appreciate it.

thanks in advance.
John
Old December 6th 03, 10:20 PM
Mister K

In the City
High Park
Rouge River
Waterfront trail

Out of the City
Oak Ridges Moraine
Niagara Escarpment
Forks of the Credit River
Hockley Valley

Old December 7th 03, 05:34 AM
Francis A. Miniter

The Don Valley area is beautiful and can be accessed to some extent (the
West Branch at least) from Edward's Gardens on Lawrence Avenue, where a
walkway takes you into the ravine. Lower down by Bloor Street the
valley is fairly impressive too, though access is tougher there. The
islands are quite interesting and reached by ferry. It used to be
that you could walk out (from Lakeshore and Leslie) to the end of the
breakwater that creates the outer harbor, but I do not know if that is
still the case. To the east side are the Scarborough Bluffs, which can
be impressive - not to mention intimidating in bad weather. About an
hour or so to the northwest of Toronto, there is the Elora Gorge.

Francis A. Miniter

Old December 7th 03, 04:14 PM
Kin Lau

Francis A. Miniter wrote:
It used to be
that you could walk out (from Lakeshore and Leslie) to the end of the
breakwater that creates the outer harbor, but I do not know if that is
still the case.

You still can... it's called "Tommy Thompson Park", but access is
restricted to the weekends and holiday's only, there's no shuttle in the
winter months, a 2 to 3 k walk to the light house, and it's mostly
unsheltered, so if it's sub-zero, there's a slight breeze and you're
hauling a 4x5 + tripod, make sure you're well dressed.

BTW, for a visitor, be aware that Tommy Thompson Park is actually
reclaimed land using clean fill (eg concrete, bricks, dirt, not
household waste), and dump trucks are still coming in and out during the
week, but half the park is quite interesting and the other like side
looks like an abandoned construction site.

http://www.trca.on.ca/parks_and_attr...ommy_thompson/

The Rouge should be nice too, either the trails,or near Rouge Beach.

http://www.rougepark.com

There's also Niagara Falls... catch that when it's frozen and lit. The
surrounding trails can be quite beautiful, look for the trail going down
near the whirlpool.

www.niagaraparks.com

Old December 8th 03, 02:15 AM
Francis A. Miniter

Kin Lau wrote:

Francis A. Miniter wrote:

It used to be that you could walk out (from Lakeshore and Leslie) to
the end of the breakwater that creates the outer harbor, but I do
not know if that is still the case.

You still can... it's called "Tommy Thompson Park", but access is
restricted to the weekends and holiday's only, there's no shuttle in
the winter months, a 2 to 3 k walk to the light house, and it's mostly
unsheltered, so if it's sub-zero, there's a slight breeze and you're
hauling a 4x5 + tripod, make sure you're well dressed.

BTW, for a visitor, be aware that Tommy Thompson Park is actually
reclaimed land using clean fill (eg concrete, bricks, dirt, not
household waste), and dump trucks are still coming in and out during
the week, but half the park is quite interesting and the other like
side looks like an abandoned construction site.

http://www.trca.on.ca/parks_and_attr...ommy_thompson/

snip

When I walked out there (a little over 30 years ago), it was just a
breakwater, probably 3 kilomrters at that time. I am amazed at how it
has grown. And yes, I did it in winter, with the wind up and waves
breaking on the concrete and rocks. Unfortunately, I did not have a
camera with me.

Francis A. Miniter