Modern Nikon D-SLR camera that takes standard AA batteries

Old July 29th 06, 10:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.comp.periphs.dcameras
Amanda Williams

Default Modern Nikon D-SLR camera that takes standard AA batteries

I currently own the Nikon D50 but I'm sick and tired of the stock
EN-EL3battery going dead after only a day or two on the road (I use the
flash on every shot). Even carrying an extra EN-EL3a doesn't solve the
problem as it goes dead just two days later, leaving me in the lurch not
even a week into my trip.

It wouldn't be so bad to be forced to carry the bulky MH-18a Nikon battery
charger everywhere I go when on vacation except that I have to also carry
all the other different chargers my cell phones and those of my kids, my
video camera, my computer, my PDA, my skype phone charger, my usb hub, etc.

It's just too many freakin' chargers. I'm trying to standardize on just AA
and USB for all my hand-held electronics accessorites.

So, I'm ditching the Nikon D50 for a digital SLR that takes AA batteries. I
found a few from Fuji and Pentax but none from Nikon. Did I miss something?

So, I ask:
Is there a modern D-SLR camera from Nikon (one that takes AA batteries)?
Or, at least a modern AA battery pack for the Nikon D50 D-SLR?

TIA,
Amanda W.
Old July 29th 06, 10:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
bmoag

It is unusual for batteries to take precedence over image quality in
determining camera choice, particularly if one is not taking the camera to
remote, uncivilized locations where recharging may not be available.
You may be happier with an all in one like theCanon Powershot S3 IS Digital
Camera: can use any kind of AA battery and has image stabilization.

Old July 29th 06, 10:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rudy Benner

"Amanda Williams" wrote in message
[...]

Have you considered getting a strobe?

Old July 29th 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Al Bundy

Amanda Williams wrote:
[...]

The energy required to power the screen on a digital or operate the
flash regularly will drain a set of AA cells in short order. You won't
achieve any service life at all.
It wouldn't work for everybody, but I run an external battery pack that
allows me to take 100 pictures on a charge.

Old July 29th 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Clive

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 22:07:49 +0100, Amanda Williams wrote:

[...]

I'm Looking at the Pentax K100D - because it takes 4xAA batteries or 2 CR3
units
Pantax have shown off a 10MP DSLR
http://www.digital-shot.com/50226711..._10mp_dslr.php

Suspect it will take AA batteries as well. Link above says due for launch
Autumn 2006

Clive

Old July 29th 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[BnH]

Fuji S3 Pro ? or maybe S4 Pro ?
Or you can opt MB-D70 and use CR-2 batteries ?

btw .. in regards to your usage pattern, I found it quite strange.
Once I use a friend D50 .. the battery kept going on and on and on. They
were here for a competition and the battery last them 10 days on single
charge [and made around 1000 images] Flash usage was around 10% of the time
[as I use fast glass ]

IF you use flash on 100% of your shots, BUY yourself an external flash . .ie
SB-600.
The cost to repair those flash are cheaper than you have to change the D50
built in flash.

=bob=

Old July 29th 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mark²

Amanda Williams wrote:
[...]

The Canon 20D, 30D and 5D can all be operated using AAs if you have the
vertical grip. When you buy the grip (designed to use either one or two 511
batteries), it includes a battery cartridge that holds 6 AAs. The cartridge
fits nicely into the grip...

I've heard that the 20D does operate for very long on them, but I've been
pleasantly surprised to discover that my 12.8MP 5D operates extremely well
on them! I suspect that the new 30D does as well.
I don't usually use AA, but when traveling, it is very reassuring to have
the ability of AA use since they are easy to find worldwide (should anything
happen to my charger, or if I'm unable to charge for some reason).

-Mark²
www.pbase.com/markuson

Old July 29th 06, 10:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[BnH]

"Mark²" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in message

The Canon 20D, 30D and 5D can all be operated using AAs if you have the
vertical grip. When you buy the grip (designed to use either one or two
511 batteries), it includes a battery cartridge that holds 6 AAs. The
cartridge fits nicely into the grip...

Watch out on some earlier BG-E2. It somehow does not like using rechargable
NiMH at all.
2 -5 shots .. then kaput

Old July 29th 06, 10:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mark²

[BnH] wrote:
"Mark²" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in message

The Canon 20D, 30D and 5D can all be operated using AAs if you have
the vertical grip. When you buy the grip (designed to use either
one or two 511 batteries), it includes a battery cartridge that
holds 6 AAs. The cartridge fits nicely into the grip...

Watch out on some earlier BG-E2. It somehow does not like using
rechargable NiMH at all.
2 -5 shots .. then kaput

Mine work very well.

www.pbase.com/markuson