Canon 5D price drops

Old March 14th 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default Canon 5D price drops

$3300 to less than $3000 now at B&H plus, a $300 rebate.
I'm wondering if the D200 Nikon has taken a big piece of
that market? Probably not, since $1200 or so still separates them
and the imagery from the 5D is arguably better in most regards.
But wasn't the 5D almost $3700 at introduction?
$1000 worth of price drops/incentives is pretty decent.
Old March 14th 06, 11:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 16:16:03 -0500, Rich wrote:

$3300 to less than $3000 now at B&H plus, a $300 rebate.
I'm wondering if the D200 Nikon has taken a big piece of
that market? Probably not, since $1200 or so still separates them
and the imagery from the 5D is arguably better in most regards.
But wasn't the 5D almost $3700 at introduction?
$1000 worth of price drops/incentives is pretty decent.

Got mine from there just a few weeks ago in part due to the price
drop. Am VERY glad I did so.

Dave Fouchey
Old March 15th 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 17:36:05 -0500, Dave Fouchey
wrote:

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 16:16:03 -0500, Rich wrote:

$3300 to less than $3000 now at B&H plus, a $300 rebate.
I'm wondering if the D200 Nikon has taken a big piece of
that market? Probably not, since $1200 or so still separates them
and the imagery from the 5D is arguably better in most regards.
But wasn't the 5D almost $3700 at introduction?
$1000 worth of price drops/incentives is pretty decent.

Got mine from there just a few weeks ago in part due to the price
drop. Am VERY glad I did so.

Dave Fouchey

It is likely to remain the imaging "king" for some time.
Nice to see "planned obsolescence" doesn't effect all cameras.
-Rich
Old March 15th 06, 12:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

In article , Rich
writes
$3300 to less than $3000 now at B&H plus, a $300 rebate.
I'm wondering if the D200 Nikon has taken a big piece of
that market? Probably not, since $1200 or so still separates them
and the imagery from the 5D is arguably better in most regards.
But wasn't the 5D almost $3700 at introduction?

Supply and demand. They were priced high when they were in short
supply. I got mine back in November when they started to become more
available and don't think I would get a better price now, even with the
rebate. I did get a very good price at the time though.
--
Kennedy
Old March 15th 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

The 5d was either $3299 or $3499 at the start, had a friend who got one
of the first ones and I'm sure he didn't spend more than $3500.

Tom

Old March 15th 06, 05:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Rich" wrote in message
$3300 to less than $3000 now at B&H plus, a $300 rebate.
I'm wondering if the D200 Nikon has taken a big piece of
that market? Probably not, since $1200 or so still separates them
and the imagery from the 5D is arguably better in most regards.
But wasn't the 5D almost $3700 at introduction?
$1000 worth of price drops/incentives is pretty decent.

Got mine the first week of availability at $3300, I never saw one priced at
$3700US, unless there was someone on ebay trying to hook the unwary.
$600 is still a pretty good drop...
--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old March 15th 06, 06:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Rich wrote:
$3300 to less than $3000 now at B&H plus, a $300 rebate.
I'm wondering if the D200 Nikon has taken a big piece of
that market? Probably not, since $1200 or so still separates them
and the imagery from the 5D is arguably better in most regards.
But wasn't the 5D almost $3700 at introduction?
$1000 worth of price drops/incentives is pretty decent.

Pretty cool. It probably won't be that long before we see a sub $2K FF.
_____
Slack
Old March 15th 06, 05:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Canon has one of the shortest "new" product marketing cycles of any vendor
out there. Price drops in the Canon line often signal the end of a product
life-cycle. Not to worry: if Canon follows its usual practice there will be
a newer and "better" 5D which, like many "new" Canon products is mostly a
new box and a tweak to the software interface. The constant appearance of
seemingly "new" products boosts the image of Canon as a relentless
innovator, and they have brought some innovative products to market, but
most of their product line is recycled and evolutionary, rather than
innovative.
That being said I would still get a 5d if I could find a way to use it with
my closet full of Nikon lenses.

Old March 15th 06, 10:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Rich wrote:
$3300 to less than $3000 now at B&H plus, a $300 rebate.
I'm wondering if the D200 Nikon has taken a big piece of
that market? Probably not, since $1200 or so still separates them
and the imagery from the 5D is arguably better in most regards.
But wasn't the 5D almost $3700 at introduction?

Well, actually the 5D is just fullframe (with all its advantages and
disadvantages). Knowing both I believe that the Nikon D200 is better at
basically everything else; much of it for purely technical reasons
(sealed body) and some of it for rather personal reasons (better user
interface).

However, the D200 is clearly taking away a lot of business from
Canon... and Canon does what it does best. They have the power and
endurance to basically lower the price so much that nobody will buy the
Nikon anymore... and I am sure that we will see a few price reductions
or limited time offers from Canon on the 5D, now that the 20D successor
30D is clearly not what people were expecting