Duck: did you snag Endeavour?

Old September 24th 12, 01:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN

Default Duck: did you snag Endeavour?

On 2012-09-22 12:44:50 -0700, Bruce said:

the Legend of LAX wrote:

I was standing literally feet from touchdown

How many feet was that, er, literally?

Go and check Dale's work

I'm not remotely interested in hearing your opinion of Dale's work, or
of anyone else's work for that matter.

What a pity Dale doesn't seem to possess a voice of his own, and that
you feel obliged (as always) to dominate the thread instead.

Actually, I do have a voice of my own. It's just that I only check
this group once a day & didn't realize there was a flame war going on.
It's one reason I rarely (never) post here. Somebody asked if the Duck
got pictures & I thought I'd share. I make no apologies for that.

I was about 50 feet from the edge of the runway. Of course, even if I
were 1000 feet away, I would still be literally feet from the
touchdown. It just would have been lots of them. Perhaps I exaggerated
a slight amount, but I was excited to have been where I was.

There were supposed to be three pics in that link, only one showed up.
Here are the other two pics. Hope they're not quite so controversial.

http://tinyurl.com/9eqyxwj
http://tinyurl.com/93zp7hm

Glad you joined the fray. ;-)

We will see if "Tony/Bruce" has anything more to say now.

Nice historical images.
I'm jealous. I had the chance here in NY, but was too lazy. Can't blame
anyone but myself.

--
Peter
Old September 24th 12, 09:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 2012.09.23 18:36 , NM5K wrote:

BTW, I think it's a damned shame none of those shuttle got to stay
at JSC..

I found that odd myself.

I think it was a mistake to retire the things before we had something
up and running to replace it. Depending on other countries to bus
us back and forth to the ISS rubs me the wrong way.

The US is more interested in spending trillions on wars than billions on
manned space flight. There's that debt thing too.

Space-X's first contracted cargo delivery is next month having proven
able to do the mission last spring.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2012/09...-crs-iss-nasa/

It's a brave new world and the Russians offer reliable transport at a
reasonable price. That gives the US time to develop some great technology.

Not to mention, having the shuttle could come in very handy if there
were ever a major emergency on that thing.

At any given time, shuttles on the ground could be months away from
ready to launch due to mission fitting, waiting on parts and so on.

So similar from the Ruskies has about the same delay.

The ISS has "safe zones" where the occupants can go when under threat or
during an emergency. They are stocked with food, water and air. It's
used whenever an object (debris) approaches the space station.

--
"There were, unfortunately, no great principles on which parties
were divided – politics became a mere struggle for office."

Old September 24th 12, 09:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 2012.09.23 18:38 , the Legend of LAX wrote:

I was about 50 feet from the edge of the runway. Of course, even if I
were 1000 feet away, I would still be literally feet from the touchdown.
It just would have been lots of them. Perhaps I exaggerated a slight
amount, but I was excited to have been where I was.

I would have loved to see that too.

There is absolutely no need to explain yourself
to Tony Polson (aka "Bruce").

Everyone knew what you meant but he had to throw stones because it's
what he does.

Of course you committed the one sin that Tony Polson (aka "Bruce")
cannot tolerate: you posted photos and announced them via this NG.

Something he is abjectly terrified of doing. From what we've seen of
his photos, for good reason.