Why Olympus's anti-dust system actually works

Old June 13th 07, 12:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

Default Why Olympus's anti-dust system actually works

According to them, anyway.
http://www.olympus-esystem.com/dea/s...isode5_01.html

Old June 15th 07, 06:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Nabors

"RichA" wrote in message
oups.com...
According to them, anyway.
http://www.olympus-esystem.com/dea/s...isode5_01.html

I've taken thousands of photos with a Nikon D200 and other Nikon cameras and
never had a dust problem because I was changing the lens. If it is dusty,
or raining, and you cannot take cover inside a shelter, just change the lens
in a plastic bag that you carry in a dry pocket. I use the same procedure
with Olympus cameras.

Robert

Old June 15th 07, 06:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

On Jun 15, 1:05 am, "Robert Nabors" wrote:
"RichA" wrote in message

oups.com...

According to them, anyway.
http://www.olympus-esystem.com/dea/s...isode5_01.html

I've taken thousands of photos with a Nikon D200 and other Nikon cameras and
never had a dust problem because I was changing the lens. If it is dusty,
or raining, and you cannot take cover inside a shelter, just change the lens
in a plastic bag that you carry in a dry pocket. I use the same procedure
with Olympus cameras.

Robert

A good idea. But personally, not having to have ever faced this (I
own Olympus) I'd like to know if the facing on the sensor is
multicoated crown glass? If so, who gives a F--- about dust?
Multicoatings today are reasonably durable so cleaning the sensor
shouldn't be too much of a chore and not risky, provided you follow
the same sensible rules as with cleaning any lens. However, if the
sensor face exposed is the actual dichroic filter material, then I
would approach any touch-related cleaning very carefully. It could be
as delicate as an non-overcoated first-surface aluminized mirror,
which are extremely delicate. Maybe there is a reason why those
glorified q-tips they sell for this cost $12/ea?
The process is the same, air blower or canned air, then a brush, then
(if needed) physical wet cleaning. That process minimizes the
possibility of any physical damage.