airport x-ray security

Old April 15th 05, 04:37 AM
Evan Jou

Default airport x-ray security

Hi there,

I am going to China next month and will carry several ISO 160 & 400
films with me. As I learned from other posts here that I should put the
films in hand-carried baggage to avoid the films being exposed by the x-ray,
but how many times can these films pass the airport x-ray security system?
My schedule is USA to Taiwan, then Taiwan to China, then China to Taiwan,
then Taiwan to USA. Will the films be safe under so much exposures as the
effect of x-ray is accumulated? Thank you!

Evan Jou

Old April 15th 05, 07:50 AM
Dr. Georg N.Nyman

Evan Jou wrote:
Hi there,

I am going to China next month and will carry several ISO 160 & 400
films with me. As I learned from other posts here that I should put the
films in hand-carried baggage to avoid the films being exposed by the x-ray,
but how many times can these films pass the airport x-ray security system?
My schedule is USA to Taiwan, then Taiwan to China, then China to Taiwan,
then Taiwan to USA. Will the films be safe under so much exposures as the
effect of x-ray is accumulated? Thank you!

Evan Jou

Well my personal experience is that in the US, the airport systems are
pretty OK - I have had no bad experiences until now with film speeds up
to 400ASA. Taiwan - I had one bad experience but it was an 800ASA film
and China - depends on where you go through security. Shanghai is OK and
Bejing as well, others I was told can be tricky.
Accumulated exposure is a problem for 400ASA but only if you get through
more than maybe 5 or 6 systems which have been not really state-of-the-art.
But again, that what I mentioned is only my personal experience - others
may have bette or worse ones.
rgds George
Old April 15th 05, 12:48 PM
Alan

"Evan Jou" wrote in message
Hi there,

I am going to China next month and will carry several ISO 160 & 400
films with me. As I learned from other posts here that I should put the
films in hand-carried baggage to avoid the films being exposed by the
x-ray,
but how many times can these films pass the airport x-ray security system?
My schedule is USA to Taiwan, then Taiwan to China, then China to Taiwan,
then Taiwan to USA. Will the films be safe under so much exposures as the
effect of x-ray is accumulated? Thank you!

Evan Jou

You can get x-ray safe boxes to store the film in for travel - may be a
safer option.

Old April 16th 05, 05:02 AM
Dan

"Evan Jou" wrote in message
Hi there,

I am going to China next month and will carry several ISO 160 & 400
films with me. As I learned from other posts here that I should put the
films in hand-carried baggage to avoid the films being exposed by the
x-ray,
but how many times can these films pass the airport x-ray security system?
My schedule is USA to Taiwan, then Taiwan to China, then China to Taiwan,
then Taiwan to USA. Will the films be safe under so much exposures as the
effect of x-ray is accumulated? Thank you!

Evan Jou

Last year I went from WI to LA, Japan, Thailand, Nepal, Tibet and back. I
was carrying 100 and 200 and picked up some 400 and 800 from someone else I
was traveling with. I forgot how many xray machines I had to pass through
including various customs checks. BTW I was carrying 30+ rolls.

I always remove the film from from the canisters and put them in a clear
ziplock. I pull the ziplock out and hand it to one of the TSA. Generally no
hassle though a little extra delay on a couple of legs. So unless I forgot
somewhere, none of my film was xray'd, except for 4 rolls of 100 that I left
in one of my bags on the way back. Unless I'm mistaken the only problem I
had with those rolls was because I shot them without a polarizer during
mid-day. The only hassels I got were because of the packs of polariods that
I carrying, the TSA spent extra time with them. good thing they were still
in the wrap. Though in LA(?) I had one TSA swab everyone of the packs and
rolls.

I don't carry the film xray bags. Mainly from the experience of others is
because the TSA will usually turn up the machine if they can't see through
something.

I was also carrying a digital camera. The thing with those is to put it in
your carry on. Make sure your CF cards are in your bags and not on your
person when going through the metal detectors. It can zap them.

Enjoy your trip.

Old April 19th 05, 06:28 AM
Carsten Schurig

Alan schrieb:

You can get x-ray safe boxes to store the film in for travel - may be a
safer option.

No, this isn't at all! It is just a common _misinformation_ that "x-ray
safe" boxes are safe!

What do they do at security if they can't look inside something first?
They'll increase the intensity of the x-rays to penetrate the object. So
you'll need a box with really thick lead walls to avoid that.

*But* what is even more disturbing is, that _you'll_ be responsible that
the films in bags of people right behind and before you will be
influenced by a much higher x-ray radation than these would have been
without your "x-ray safe" box.

So if you're really disturbed let them hand-check your films. Thats a
much better way than to use these "x-ray safe" boxes.

Old April 19th 05, 03:04 PM
James Robinson

Carsten Schurig wrote:

Alan schrieb:

You can get x-ray safe boxes to store the film in for travel
- may be a safer option.

No, this isn't at all! It is just a common _misinformation_ that "x-ray
safe" boxes are safe!

Agreed. Domke once described a test they made with lead-lined bags.
They said that for film to be safe when passed through the xray machines
used to inspect CHECKED baggage, the lead bag would be so heavy as to be
impractical for everyday use.

The bags do, however, reduce the intensity of the xrays hitting the film
when used in CARRY-ON luggage, and might gain a few extra trips through
the scanners before damage becomes a problem.

What do they do at security if they can't look inside something first?
They'll increase the intensity of the x-rays to penetrate the object. So
you'll need a box with really thick lead walls to avoid that.

The xray machines are not user-adjustable. That is a myth. The machines
are purposely set to a low dosage to reduce the risk of the machines.
The operator can adjust the contrast and brightness of the display, but
that is similar to what you would do on your computer monitor.