Canon 5D Infrared Photography Tests

Old June 9th 06, 09:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Canon 5D Infrared Photography Tests

Hi All,

I've been testing the Canon 5D with a Hoya R72 IR filter. The results
are up here
http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=563
or you can also find it with the other 16 cameras tested this way he
http://www.dimagemaker.com/specials/digitalir/digitalir.php

Cheers,

Wayne

Wayne J. Cosshall
Blog and Podcast http://www.digitalimagemakerworld.com/
Personal art site http://www.artinyourface.com/

Old June 9th 06, 04:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

wayne wrote:
Hi All,

I've been testing the Canon 5D with a Hoya R72 IR filter. The results
are up here
http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=563
or you can also find it with the other 16 cameras tested this way he
http://www.dimagemaker.com/specials/digitalir/digitalir.php

Wow! Some of those single channel monochromes are dynamite! Look
complete at least on size shown.

--
john mcwilliams
Old June 10th 06, 09:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Hi John,

Thanks. Provided you don't mind the long exposures you can get some
good images out of the 5D in IR.

Old June 10th 06, 05:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

I've considered having my D60 modified for IR Photography. This
involves taking it apart and replacing the hotmirror with an IR filter.
The advantage of doing it this way is that you can pretty much use the
camera's exposure meter, avoiding the long exposure times required
otherwise. The disadvantage of course is that you are now limited to
IR photography. Since I rarely use the D60 any more, I figured what
the heck.

Any thoughts on this?

Old June 10th 06, 06:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Annika1980 wrote:
I've considered having my D60 modified for IR Photography. This
involves taking it apart and replacing the hotmirror with an IR filter.
The advantage of doing it this way is that you can pretty much use the
camera's exposure meter, avoiding the long exposure times required
otherwise. The disadvantage of course is that you are now limited to
IR photography. Since I rarely use the D60 any more, I figured what
the heck.

Any thoughts on this?

If you need to, you can also purchase an external hot mirror ($$$!?),
and return the D60 to regularly scheduled programming if necessary.

I actually prefer using a good non-dslr style camera for IR. Live
preview is a big help when framing or just scoping around the area like
a drunken Borg drone.

Corry

http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net

"NSA is now funding research not only in cryptography, but in all areas
of advanced mathematics. If you'd like a circular describing these new
research opportunities, just pick up your phone, call your mother, and
ask for one." -unknown