Kodak EasyShare 4.0.2 vs. 3.2 Software - Feedback Wanted - DX 6490 Digital Cam

Old December 15th 04, 01:42 AM
Frank ess

Ron Baird wrote:
Greetings Jeremy,

The Kodak Updater is an added advantage for you and not Malware. It
is not much different in terms of backweb than the virus protection
that is delivered to your Symantec program or updates from Microsoft.
It simply works in the background to download any new updates offered
by Kodak. It is used by millions of quite happy EasyShare owners. You
have nothing to fear from the Kodak Updater feature. I will stand
behind it 110%

I understand "110%" is hyperbole, but usinig it puts a few scratches on
your credibility.

--
Frank ess

Old December 16th 04, 06:30 PM
Sadie Jenson via PhotoKB.com

Hi Ron,

Thanks for your advice and encouragement. Those extra few seconds could make a big difference! I often end up with un-centered, blurry photos.

I did get a card reader and a memory card. Amazing how small the memory card is, and the reader is ... well, cute! I am looking forward to my trip and seeing what results I get.

Sandy

Old December 17th 04, 07:28 PM
Ron Baird

Greetings Jeremy,

I understand why you might be upset, Jeremy, and I am glad to offer some
information that might help you understand.

Kodak offers you the choice of whether or not you want to install the Kodak
Updater during the installation.
It is not hard to uninstall and the instructions that follow provide the
process.
As I understand it, Back Web is a tool that is used by many companies such
as Microsoft, Symantec, and others to deliver updates similar to how Kodak
is doing it.
Kodak is not meddling in your computer in anyway. If you do not want to use
the Update service, delete it or turn it off. No information about you or
your system is collected.

Truth is, Jeremy, the Kodak Updater was included and offered to you as an
added feature, not for any other reaon. It simply offers an easy way to
update your the program, as Kodak is always working on new and enhanced
features of its free software.

We welcome you to the Kodak family, Jeremy, and would not want you to have
any other feeling other than enjoying your camera, or the features of the
software. We have no interest in anything else you might have on your
computer, and would never intrude on your privacy. I can't imagine any
billion dollar company that would entertain such an idea.

Please enjoy the program and have no fear about using the Kodak Updater
feature, it is quite safe an unintrusive.

Following is the removal instructions.

To uninstall the Kodak Software Updater, follow the instructions below.

1. Open the Control Panel.
2. Open Add/Remove Programs.
3. Select "Kodak EasyShare software" and choose Add/Remove (for Microsoft
Windows 98, ME operating systems), or Change/Remove (for Microsoft Windows
2000, XP operating systems). The KODAK EASYSHARE Software Setup Wizard will
begin installation.
4. Click Next and continue until a window is displayed with choices for
Modify, Repair, or Remove.
5. Select Modify and click Next.
6. When the window showing the different components to modify is displayed,
click the drop-down next to the Kodak Software Updater and choose Remove.
7. Click Next and follow the rest of the installation.
8. Restart the computer when finished.

To turn off the Kodak Software Updater, follow the instructions below.

1. Navigate to the Kodak Software Updater setup window

Start/Programs/Kodak/KodakSoftwareUpdater/KodakSoftwareUpdatersetup

2. Select the No radio button to disable the Kodak Updater Service.

Talk to you soon, and happy holidays.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

"Jeremy" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Ron Hunter" wrote in message

Have you any proof that backweb has ever done you any harm? If not,
then how can you call it 'malware'. ANY program that communicates over
the internet can do evil things. This doesn't make it malware.

The fact that it is surreptitiously installed as part of a bundle makes me
suspect.

The fact that it is virtually impossible to de-install, because

instructions
for removal are suppressed, makes me suspect.

The fact that the BackWeb web site admits that it is an advertising popup
application (albeit a "polite" one, as they out it) proves it!

Some of us don't like it when outsiders meddle in out computers. There is

bill pending in Congress that would require FULL disclosure before

anything
like that can be downloaded, and would also require that removal
instructions be made readily available. Violators would be fined.

Kodak should be ashamed for bundling BackWeb into its "free" software, and
failing to make adequate advance disclosure to users. I guess Kodak feels
that the users of their software have no choice in what goes into their
systems.

Now they couldn't pay me enough to install any of their software. I

really
dislike being taken advantage of, and I vote with my pocketbook. When
enough other consumers think the same, it has an impact.

Old December 17th 04, 08:40 PM
Ron Baird

Good luck Sadie,

Enjoy your trip and holiday season. Great time for pictures. Let me know
if you think I can help you.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

. ..

Old December 20th 04, 12:49 PM
William Jackson

"Jeremy" wrote in message
ink.net...

The popups that you experience are courtesy of BackWeb, which is loaded
onto
your computer along with EasyShare. BackWeb, on their website, states
that
their popups are "polite," meaning that they only come up after a period
of
inactivity, rather than disturb you when you are actively engaged in using
your computer.

I presume that makes it OK, in BackWeb's view. I am opposed to any
attempt
to seize control of my computer, or to force-feed any unwelcome and
intrusive advertising message to me. BackWeb is just SPAM.

Try to delete it. If you go to BackWeb's web site, they refer you back to
the software vendor that bundled it. Try going to the Kodak website and
finding instructions on how to delete BackWeb--please let us know if you
find it, because if it is there at all, they have obscured it very well!

It has completely soured my on the Kodak brand--to have been victimized
like
this--all so Kodak can make a buck.

how many times do I have to say this: Backweb is a tool, nothing more. The
vendor who uses it, Kodak, uses it in a very benign and polite way. The
ONLY time that you will see a popup if you are an EasyShare user is when an
upgrade is available for you. We even restrict that notice to display ONLY
when you are shutting down EasyShare software.

Backweb is used for nothing else other than delivering updates to software.
Older versions of software don't get the updates automatically delivered but
refer to the web download. Newer versions get the upgrades delivered as
incremental updates and they are on your system ready to be installed when
the notice comes.

Oh, if youw ant to turn it off: go to EasyShare preferences and remove the
check in the "notify me when updates are available" Not complicated, pretty
straightforward, no cloak-and-dagger.

Old December 20th 04, 12:55 PM
William Jackson

"Jeremy" wrote in message
ink.net...

The fact that it is surreptitiously installed as part of a bundle makes me
suspect.

The end user license agreement is very clear in this area that an updater is
being installed.

The fact that it is virtually impossible to de-install, because
instructions
for removal are suppressed, makes me suspect.

Clicking on preferences, unchecking the "notify me when updates are
available" seems pretty straightforward to me. Kodak has these instructions
on our web site as well.

The fact that the BackWeb web site admits that it is an advertising popup
application (albeit a "polite" one, as they out it) proves it!

But Kodak doesn't use the advertising popup part. All we use is the
capability to deliver software updates.

Kodak should be ashamed for bundling BackWeb into its "free" software, and
failing to make adequate advance disclosure to users. I guess Kodak feels
that the users of their software have no choice in what goes into their
systems.

Again, Backweb is a hammer. I can hit nails with it and make things, or I
can hit people with it and do harm.