Does mixing your own chemicals save money?

Old December 8th 04, 12:40 PM

Default Does mixing your own chemicals save money?

Hi,

I have been doing a lot of shooting and printing lately and am
bewildered at how quickly I am going through chemicals (yes I use my
fixer and stop by to exhaustion but insist on using developer on a
one-shot basis). Previous discussions on the archive have focused on
the flexibility benefits of mixing your own, but I am wondering about
cost. Does the cost of the raw materials make it more econmical?
Thanks!

--Phil

Old December 8th 04, 01:44 PM
Tom Phillips

Hi,

I have been doing a lot of shooting and printing lately and am
bewildered at how quickly I am going through chemicals (yes I use my
fixer and stop by to exhaustion but insist on using developer on a
one-shot basis). Previous discussions on the archive have focused on
the flexibility benefits of mixing your own, but I am wondering about
cost. Does the cost of the raw materials make it more econmical?

I don't think so. Plus I'm not sure what you mean by the
flexibility, Phil. Generally, I mix my own only when it
benifits the results I want to achieve. Example: mixing
my own print developer (which I have done) was never as
efficacious IMO than using standard packaged Dektol.

I had a professor in college who insisted Amidol was
artistically "better" (for him) than dektol. I never
found this to show in my own prints and quit mixing
it. Much cheaper to use the school lab's premixed
Dektol.

It really depends on what you want/need, and/or are
wanting to achieve. I mix my own negative developers
but only to a point. Example: if I'm developing Tech
Pan I use my own pyro-phenidone mixture because I think
I get better curves than with packaged Technidol or
TD-3. If I'm using T-max I prefer Rodinal, HC110,
or some other commercial developer.

I would say that rather than 'flexable', you rather
should be aware of just what results you expect when
you mix your own. BTW, developer should IMO always be
used one shot, but I never any chemistry (especially
fixer) to exhaustion. As soon as fixer shows any
concentration of silver compounds (fixer test) I
discard it or use it for work prints. Likewise I
never use stop to exhaustion.

I consider rapid fix, acetic acid, and hypo clear to
be relatively cheap.
Old December 8th 04, 01:51 PM
Gregory Blank

Tom Phillips wrote:

but I never any chemistry (especially
fixer) to exhaustion. As soon as fixer shows any
concentration of silver compounds (fixer test) I
discard it or use it for work prints. Likewise I
never use stop to exhaustion.

Fixer, I use two times to print; first bath is last times
second bath, I always mix a second fresh bath and fix
three minutes before toning.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old December 8th 04, 02:09 PM
Tom Phillips

Gregory Blank wrote:

In article ,
Tom Phillips wrote:

but I never any chemistry (especially
fixer) to exhaustion. As soon as fixer shows any
concentration of silver compounds (fixer test) I
discard it or use it for work prints. Likewise I
never use stop to exhaustion.

Fixer, I use two times to print; first bath is last times
second bath, I always mix a second fresh bath and fix
three minutes before toning.

I never fix that long (B&W), but instead use a 1 bath
archival fix (rapid fix 1:3 for 1 minute.) No second
bath. When a fixer test reveals precipitate, I use it
for work prints or mix fresh 1:3 for good prints. Don't
really care about the cost, but efficaiousness and
convienence.

Tests indicate 1:3 rapid fix fixes Seagull (my standard
paper) in 25 seconds _even_ when a light precipitate
forms.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

Old December 8th 04, 02:36 PM
PATRICK GAINER

Nick Zentena wrote:

wrote:

Hi,

I have been doing a lot of shooting and printing lately and am
bewildered at how quickly I am going through chemicals (yes I use my
fixer and stop by to exhaustion but insist on using developer on a
one-shot basis). Previous discussions on the archive have focused on
the flexibility benefits of mixing your own, but I am wondering about
cost. Does the cost of the raw materials make it more econmical?
Thanks!

Depends on what you're using. But my answer is going to be no. The
cheapest method is usually to buy bigger packages/bottles of pre mixed
chemicals. The bigger sizes aimed at commerical labs are much cheaper then
the smaller sizes aimed at home users.

OTOH you can go to say:

www.jdphotochem.com

And work out the costs yourself. The cheapest way is to buy the big
packages of chemicals. Some will get used in almost every thing [sodium
sulfite] but even the stuff you only use a little of will keep quite awhile.

Nick

It depends a lot on what you are mixing. Anything with lots of sulfite
in it is going to cost about $4 a quart. I can make film developer that
is better than most for about $0.25 a gallon. I can make a stock
solution for about $20 a liter that is diluted 1+50 for film.

Old December 8th 04, 02:52 PM
Michael A. Covington

The cheapest reliable film developer that I know of is HC-110 mixed from the
syrupy concentrate. If you take only the amount of concentrate you need for
one-shot use, the rest of it will keep for years. See:

www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110

As for mixing your own, D-23 has been recommended as especially simple. I
don't know how economical it is. Try to get a formula measured in spoonfuls
rather than grams (there are people who have worked it out that way).

--
Clear skies,

Michael A. Covington
www.covingtoninnovations.com/astromenu.html

Old December 8th 04, 03:17 PM
Richard Knoppow

Hi,

I have been doing a lot of shooting and printing lately and am
bewildered at how quickly I am going through chemicals (yes I use my
fixer and stop by to exhaustion but insist on using developer on a
one-shot basis). Previous discussions on the archive have focused on
the flexibility benefits of mixing your own, but I am wondering about
cost. Does the cost of the raw materials make it more econmical?
Thanks!

--Phil

There isn't a simple answer. It depends on how much you use. For
large volumes it may be cheaper. If you search Google for "photographic
chemicals" you will find a number of sources. Check the prices. Then
calculate what it costs to mix some common processing solutions which
have published formulas. Sometimes you will wind up paying hazardous
materials shipping charges, these make otherwise cheap chemicals
expensive and must be taken into account.
Pushing stop bath and fixer to the limit is not good practice.
Stop bath will become neutralized by the developer fairly rapidly
especially when printing. This is one solution that I can say flatly is
cheaper to mix yourself. A liter of glacial acetic acid will make about
65 liters of stop bath, so is much cheaper than buying 28% or even
Kodak Indicator Stop Bath, which is about double this concentration.
Fixing baths should not be overused because the resulting images
will not be permanent. The most economical way to do fixing is to use
two successive baths. The capacity is four to ten times that of a
single bath.
For large enough volumes of film a replenished system is very
economical and will produce very consistent results if managed right.
Some developers are their own replenishers, for instance Kodak T-Max
RS.
Again, it depends on how much work you do.
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA