Om 10 Type II Will not work in Manual or B position but fine in auto?

Old January 14th 06, 12:16 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default Om 10 Type II Will not work in Manual or B position but fine in auto?

Hi all

My Om 10 Type II Will not work in Manual or B position but works fine
in auto? Light meter self timer everything else seems fine. It all
changes with using different F-stops / lighting like it should. But
when in manual mode with adapter there is no difference in speeds at
all. And when I use "B" shutter releases by it self, not when I release
button like it should. Manual auto switch seems fine but I would guess
this may be the problem? I seems like it is just stuck in auto mode!

Thanks

Steve CANADA

Old January 14th 06, 12:54 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Not sure what type 2 is, my guess is that the switch has stoped working.

Old January 14th 06, 04:36 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Steve" wrote in
oups.com:

wrote:
Not sure what type 2 is, my guess is that the switch has stoped
working.

The Type II (two) is the later model Om 10. Serial numbers above
2,000,000 were this model from what I believe.

Taken From the CAMTEC info site: below.............

OM-10 numbers above 2,000,000 (Type II OM-10) feature a new modular
shutter with metal curtain shafts and a change in magnet position (to
the front of the shutter) which relieved some of the "oily magnet"
problems.

I have an extra OM10 Type II body I could sacrifice for parts. So I
wonder how much it would cost to have it serviced and the switch
changed/cleaned or fixed. The light seals (foam) still look very good
but it still may be worth a good cleaning, lube and any adjustments
preformed if needed.

The OM-10 is actually very easy to disassemble, and the switch is
very
straightforward. Essentially, it is a set of reed-like copper 'leaves'
set into the switch collar, that contact a circuit board in a circular
pattern. Chances are, you either have bent or corroded leaves or the
circuit board needs cleaning.

With a spare parts body, you can probably take care of this
yourself in
less than 30 minutes and save the cost of a repair shop.

The biggest concern is, the hot shoe wiring is delicate, so you
have to
be gentle in removing the top cover and it will only go so far - more
than far enough to get at the switch, though. The second biggest concern
is you have to remove the rewind crank to get the switch and top case
off, and this means the rewind shaft that fits into the spindle of your
film, which also opens the back, can fall inside the body all by itself.
If the back is closed at this point, it can be a wee bit difficult to
open (I used a crochet hook). I would recommend putting a piece of tape
over the edge of the door to prevent it from engaging the latch and
locking closed.

CLAs vary from area to area, but typical costs I've heard have been
about $120 US - servicing the switch at the same time might add to that,
and might not. If you're handy with tools, you could probably save
yourself some money and fix the switch yourself, but a CLA is never a
bad idea. Since it tends to be more than a used OM-10 body around here
anyway, it's not always worth it, but hey...

Good luck!

- Al.

Old January 17th 06, 06:10 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

In article . com, "Steve"
wrote:

My Om 10 Type II Will not work in Manual or B position but works fine
in auto? Light meter self timer everything else seems fine. It all
changes with using different F-stops / lighting like it should. But
when in manual mode with adapter there is no difference in speeds at
all. And when I use "B" shutter releases by it self, not when I release
button like it should. Manual auto switch seems fine but I would guess
this may be the problem? I seems like it is just stuck in auto mode!

Steve-

My OM 10 is in the 1.9 million range. I wasn't aware it was in production
for much longer than when I bought mine. There may not have been many of
your "Type II" built.

I've had problems similar to yours, but it was always caused by the
B-Auto-Manual switch not being turned all the way to the correct
position. Mine is difficult to operate, and it is hard for me to see when
the marks are lined-up properly.

The ON-Off switch seems to only be good for turning on the LED meter
circuit in the viewfinder. When it is off, mine appears to operate
correctly in all three positions, assuming the battery is good. I suppose
you have tried replacing the battery.

Although it may be hard to operate, giving the B-Auto-Manual switch some
exercise might clean-up the contacts enough to make it work.

Fred
Old January 17th 06, 11:31 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Fred McKenzie wrote:

The ON-Off switch seems to only be good for turning on the LED meter
circuit in the viewfinder. When it is off, mine appears to operate
correctly in all three positions, assuming the battery is good. I suppose
you have tried replacing the battery.

That's often been the problem with mine. The battey check would beep,
but the camera would not work properly. Installing fresh batteries
would fix it.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
The trouble with being a futurist is that when people get around to believing
you, it's too late. We lost. Google 2,000,000:Hams 0.

Old January 20th 06, 01:31 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article . com, "Steve"
wrote:

[...]

The ceramic board which controls auto-manual-bulb is ntorious for
getting a layer of oxidation on it that makes man-bulb not work.
Sometimes cleaning it resolves the problem, other times, circuit
replacement is necessary. Type 2 OM-10 (over 2,000,000 serial number)
has the metal modular shutter as found in the OM-G (20). In this
design, they moved the magnet up front in hopes it would stay cleaner
and not saturated with oil.

John
Olympus Service since 1977