Warm tone papers and developers

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 29th 06, 03:54 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default Warm tone papers and developers

"Bogdan Karasek" wrote in message
Hi,

What should I know about this Agfa 120? It can't be
available anymore since Agfa gave up on us, unless you
have a stash. The warm tone developer I use is AGFA
Neutal WA. I'm down to my two 500ml bottles Neutal WA.
For me Neutal WA and Agfa Classic and 1:9 Selelium is the
wand for making magic.

Now Agfa is kaput. Have to get a new wand

Cheers,
Bogdan

Lew wrote:

The instruction sheets for the two papers I'll be trying
(Arista & Forte) recommend Dektol, why not a warm tone
developer (like Agfa 120)? Also, I goofed and mixed
the120 with sodium, not potassium carbonate. Will this
make a big difference?
-LS

Bogdan Karasek
Montr‚al, Qu‚bec e-mail:

Canada

Agfa/Ansco 120 is not so much a warm tone developer as a
"soft" developer, meant to produce somewhat lower contrast
than standard developers. I employs Metol as the sole
developing agent. Kodak Selectol Soft is probably nearly
identical.
Most warm tone developers, like Kodak D-52, are simply
less active than neutral/cold tone ones like Dektol/D-72.
However, there are some special developers, like the Agfa
Hydroquinone and Hydroquinone and Glycin developers I posted
a day or so ago, that produce noticably warmer tones than
the low activity ones. I am pretty sure Neutol WA is one of
these but can't be sure because Agfa MSDS often leave out
some ingredients. If you can mix your own, and can obtain
Glycin, I suggest trying Agfa/Ansco 115, which I posted
earlier. If you can't find it I will post again or send it
to you via e-mail.
As far as commercially packaged developers, Ilford now
has a warm tone and a cold tone developer sold under the
Harmon name. I have no idea of what is in these but they are
certainly worth a try. Check the Ilfordphoto web site for
details.

--
---
Richard Knoppow