What is the Best Software for Fixing Pictures?

Old September 4th 07, 04:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital
Barry Goodthrall

Default What is the Best Software for Fixing Pictures?

What is the best software to quickly fix photos.

Before rushing to say Photoshop, while I agree for more complex
digital photo manipulation it can't be beat, I want something that
does common corrections the average novice often needs, such as red
eye, bluring , dust removal, lighting adjustments, etc quickly.
Ideally what program has the best "one step fix" function?

Old September 4th 07, 05:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital
loony

On 4 Sep, 16:22, Barry Goodthrall
wrote:
What is the best software to quickly fix photos.

Before rushing to say Photoshop, while I agree for more complex
digital photo manipulation it can't be beat, I want something that
does common corrections the average novice often needs, such as red
eye, bluring , dust removal, lighting adjustments, etc quickly.
Ideally what program has the best "one step fix" function?

I've been using the free program Irfanview for basic adjustments, but
I'm looking for more functionality so I'm intersted in answers to this
too. I'm currently looking at Paintshop pro X or XI. I've used a very
old version (5) and it is excellent for graphics but poor for
photographs probably because of it's age. However the new versions
seem to be highly rated and geared towards photo editing and a LOT
cheaper than photoshop. Not sure where you're from but I can pick up
Paintshop Pro X for around £30 compared to around £100 for Photoshop
elements (a cut down version of the full photoshop).

Old September 4th 07, 05:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital
Victek

What is the best software to quickly fix photos.

Before rushing to say Photoshop, while I agree for more complex
digital photo manipulation it can't be beat, I want something that
does common corrections the average novice often needs, such as red
eye, bluring , dust removal, lighting adjustments, etc quickly.
Ideally what program has the best "one step fix" function?

The best "one step fix" I've seen is implemented in Upshot
(www.upshotphoto.com), but I don't like the interface if you want to do
anything more complicated. They have a free trial download.

Old September 4th 07, 06:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital
silvercelt

On 4 Sep, 17:07, "Victek" wrote:
What is the best software to quickly fix photos.

Before rushing to say Photoshop, while I agree for more complex
digital photo manipulation it can't be beat, I want something that
does common corrections the average novice often needs, such as red
eye, bluring , dust removal, lighting adjustments, etc quickly.
Ideally what program has the best "one step fix" function?

The best "one step fix" I've seen is implemented in Upshot
(www.upshotphoto.com), but I don't like the interface if you want to do
anything more complicated. They have a free trial download.

I use Irfanview or adobe photo shop elements 4

Old September 4th 07, 06:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital
HEMI-Powered[_2_]

Barry Goodthrall added these comments in the current discussion
du jour ...

What is the best software to quickly fix photos.

Before rushing to say Photoshop, while I agree for more
complex digital photo manipulation it can't be beat, I want
something that does common corrections the average novice
often needs, such as red eye, bluring , dust removal, lighting
adjustments, etc quickly. Ideally what program has the best
"one step fix" function?

there is no best anything, I'm afraid. e.gg., what is best? a sub-
compact car, a 4x4 SUV or an exotic million dollar sports car or
anything in between. Please elaborate what subject(s) you intend to
shoot, an estimate of your skill so far with graphics and your
camera, and what you expect some software to do for you.

--
HP, aka Jerry
Old September 4th 07, 07:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital
Dennis Pogson

Barry Goodthrall wrote:
What is the best software to quickly fix photos.

Before rushing to say Photoshop, while I agree for more complex
digital photo manipulation it can't be beat, I want something that
does common corrections the average novice often needs, such as red
eye, bluring , dust removal, lighting adjustments, etc quickly.
Ideally what program has the best "one step fix" function?

Faststone will probably do all you wish and it's free from-
http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

Dennis.

Old September 4th 07, 09:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital
Dave Cohen

Dennis Pogson wrote:
Barry Goodthrall wrote:
What is the best software to quickly fix photos.

Before rushing to say Photoshop, while I agree for more complex
digital photo manipulation it can't be beat, I want something that
does common corrections the average novice often needs, such as red
eye, bluring , dust removal, lighting adjustments, etc quickly.
Ideally what program has the best "one step fix" function?

Faststone will probably do all you wish and it's free from-
http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

Dennis.

FastStone is the best I've come across for a free utility that does
almost everything. It stops short of paint brush tools, layers etc and
for that I'm using PhotoPlus. I've used PSP version 7 and if I had to
buy a package today would probably get the latest version of that, but
would still use FastStone for quick corrections.
My default viewer is Irfanview, it's good for bulk resize/resample and
file move.
Dave Cohen
Old September 5th 07, 12:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital
wohwagen

Default Serif PhotoPlus - free on CD from Serif

"Dave Cohen" wrote in message

FastStone is the best I've come across for a free utility that does almost
everything. It stops short of paint brush tools, layers etc and for that
I'm using PhotoPlus. I've used PSP version 7 and if I had to buy a package
today would probably get the latest version of that, but would still use
FastStone for quick corrections.
My default viewer is Irfanview, it's good for bulk resize/resample and
file move.
Dave Cohen

-------------

Serif are currently giving away 5 of their older programmes for absolutely
nothing (you pay 89p for the CD & P&P) They make a half-hearted attempt to
sell you the latest version when you telephone them for the free software -
but that's it.

Among the freebies is version 7 of PhotoPlus (free web update available)
which is a Photoshop clone (or maybe PS is a PhotoPlus clone Same
tools,same layout etc (I believe that you can even run PS actions in it!)

It's got to be just about the best free piece of photo software available at
the moment - I got it because it was free, although I use Lightroom, and was
very impressed.

Old September 5th 07, 07:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital
Peter J E Brunning

You could take a look at:
http://www.download.com/8301-2007_4-...ml?tag=nl.e415

Old September 5th 07, 09:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Barry Goodthrall wrote:
What is the best software to quickly fix photos.

Before rushing to say Photoshop, while I agree for more complex
digital photo manipulation it can't be beat, I want something that
does common corrections the average novice often needs, such as red
eye, bluring , dust removal, lighting adjustments, etc quickly.
Ideally what program has the best "one step fix" function?

I have found that Photoshop Elements has the best 'quick fix' feature,
which automatically fixes many problems, but it can go WAY off the track
now and then.