Photoshop CC problem(s)

Old January 13th 21, 06:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Photoshop CC problem(s)

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

The first thing I did was update the GPU driver. Didn't seem to make a
difference. It was less than a year old.

no reason why it would, since what you described is not a gpu issue.

Then in quick succession I found Windows doing an update and no sooner
than I got through that Adobe CC updated PS, LR and ACR! Nothing is
the same as it was but I still have the problem. i have found out
that when I start PS, Windows explorer seems to go mad and uses more
of the processor capacity than everything else put together. Disk
ussage does not look excessive. I know this is a known problem but I
do not as yet know what to do about it.

photoshop taking 2 hours to open a photo is not a known problem.

More to come.

by that, you mean even more problems.
Old January 13th 21, 07:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
gray_wolf

On 12/01/2021 3:18 pm, Savageduck wrote:
On Jan 12, 2021, Alfred Molon wrote
(in s.net):

In ,
says...

I've been running Photoshop CC for years without any trouble. I have
not used it for the last few weeks or so and in the mean time there
have been several upgrades of PS and Windows 10. For whatever reason I
now find that while PS starts OK it now always downloads files in
Camera Raw. I don't mind that but I have not been able to turn that
feature off. To compound the problem, it takes more than 2 hours to
load an image. I don't actually know how long as I give up at that
point. When I load a 30Mb NEF file the image may appear after 2 or 3
minutes but the editing sliders remain locked and unresponsive. The
Windows task manager shows that one processor core (out of 12) is
running at 100% and it will continue to do this until I shut down
Photoshop. Most times I cannot shut down Photoshop in the usual manner
but have to end the task in Task Manager. On occasion I can close
Camera Raw and then I can shutdown Photoshop normally.

I have tried contacting Adobe Tech Support but an afternoon of being
passed from person to person in the hope that the next person would
know about the problem, and after waiting for an hour for what might
have been the last person I gave up.

I then tried the adobe community and quickly received the suggestion
that I should turn off GPU support. GPU setting was previously on Auto
and is now Off. [GPU = GeForce GTX 1070]. That possibly made a
difference, but only minimal. The image still opened in ACR but maybe
more quickly. Fully functioning editing sliders were still not
available even after about ten minutes. One CPU core only, continued
to be fully at work. Some of the graphics memory was in use and there
were occasional barely visible twitches of activity in various parts
of the GPU.

As far as I can tell I have the same problem irrespective of whether I
am using PS 2020 or 2021.

Has anyone encountered or heard of a similar problem and if so what
was the cause/cure?

No such problem here with PS 2020 on a Win 10 PC. But I noticed
when I open RAW files I have to wait for a few seconds until
Camera RAW kicks in, then everything runs smoothly.

Why are you still on PS 2020? It was updated to PS 2021 weeks ago.

Do you perhaps use an old, underpowered PC?

Perhaps something is broken. You could uninstall PS (completely
remove all files), then make a clean install.

Clean install worked for me. Make sure you uninstall the Adobe files
the get installed in the OS system folders.

Old January 13th 21, 12:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 12, 2021, Bill W wrote
(in ternal-september.org):

On Jan 12, 2021, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 12:44:40 -0600, Bill
wrote:

[...]

Go into task manager, and check for 100% (or close) CPU, memory, or disk
read/write usage. The problem will be that it might take forever just to get
into task manager, but it’s helpful, so wait. If it’s Adobe tying
everything up, then take nospam’s advice, and reinstall everything. If
something else is responsible, let us know what it is. I have had very
similar problems from Malwarybytes, Foxit Reader, and one or two others. If
it something else, then you have to kill those programs, or uninstall them,
and then talk to their customer support. My problems tended to come after
updates to programs, and reinstalling them will not fix that.

I have PS 2020 and 2021 installed on the machine and I have been
experimenting.

The first thing I did was update the GPU driver. Didn't seem to make a
difference. It was less than a year old.

Then in quick succession I found Windows doing an update and no sooner
than I got through that Adobe CC updated PS, LR and ACR! Nothing is
the same as it was but I still have the problem. i have found out
that when I start PS, Windows explorer seems to go mad and uses more
of the processor capacity than everything else put together. Disk
ussage does not look excessive. I know this is a known problem but I
do not as yet know what to do about it.

More to come.

The explorer thing is indeed a known issue (but I believe an old one), and a
simple fix, I think. It might have been as simple as taking the recent files
out of the view, or indexing, or something along those lines. I can’t
remember right now. I also think the LR catalog was modified once again with
a recent update, and that might have something to do with it. Are you sharing
the catalog with another location or PC?

I might be wrong, but given all Eric has said, I suspect that he doesn’t use LR, or Bridge, just a direct 1:1 PS workflow. So I doubt that the LR catalog, If it exists on Eric’s PC, is an issue. There is something else going on.
Perhaps Eric can confirm what his actual workflow is. As I have said many times, I for example use an LRc to PS workflow, but I am sure that there are those who just drop RAW, & JPEG files directly into PS without a thought of using LR.

Savageduck

Old January 13th 21, 08:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Jan 13, 2021, Savageduck wrote
(in iganews.com):

wrote:

[...]

I think that he has LR, but doesn’t use it - it’s just part of CC. But it
still exists on his PC. Regardless, I think I’m confused about the windows
explorer issue - I believe it was just tying up itself, and not the whole PC.
In other words, when you opened it, it would take too long to populate. But I
suppose it could tie up the PC, anything is possible with Windows. And I’m
sure he’s been told this before, but he would probably benefit greatly from
completely redoing that PC. He has a strange approach to a few things, and
I’ve learned my lesson about that. Putting out fires and finding
workarounds is not a good long term approach. He could reinstall windows and
then CC, and then adopt a normal workflow, including the matter of importing
photos. I admit I did not follow this advice myself, but then few people are
stupid enough to want to spend the time I did learning how to reconfigure an
SSD and its boot and other partitions manually. But I did also learn on
another computer the miracle an SSD can perform on even a piece of crap PC.

Old January 15th 21, 10:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 20:48:34 +1300, Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

I have made progress since writing the above but still have not solved
my problem.
From the beginning I noticed that Photoshop seemed to be using only
one core (out of 12) of the processor but then I discovered that when
I started to load a raw file into PS Windows Explorer would start
running and placing a significant load on the rest of the cores. I
also discovered that Windows Error Reporting was running at a high
rate with its power usage described as ‘high'. Eventually I tracked
down Intel TBMT (Turbo Boost Max Technology) as being the source of
the pat of my problem. With TBMT turned off the CPU uses all cores and
Windows Explorer does not run wild. But even so PS is still slow. Even
when it loads an image the action of ACR sliders is slow and and
sticky, and the use of ACR is nowhere near as easy as it is working on
the same file with Lightroom. My basic problem remains that PS always
opens files in ACR and takes forever to become useable.

This only a recent problem. It does not lie in ACR which runs
prefectly well in Lightroom. It has something to do with TBMT but the
problem is specific to PS. Any thoughts will be welcome although I
suspect there is probably nothing I can do about it until either Adobe
of Microsoft come up with a fix.

Eric Stevens
Old January 15th 21, 10:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 13:38:33 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Alfred
Molon wrote:

[...]

camera raw doesn't 'kick in' and a few seconds delay to open any photo
is not normal, regardless of which app or what format.

I agree. It also may be significant that I do not have the same
problem with ACR in Lightroom. It seems to be a Photoshop problem.

Eric Stevens
Old January 15th 21, 01:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_8_]

wrote:

[...]

From the beginning I noticed that Photoshop seemed to be using only
[...]

Why does this sound more, and more like an isolated problem directly related
to your particular, and apparently unique set up?

If this was a PS problem it should have been reported in multiple CC
installations by now. It seems to me that you are missing something peculiar
to your Win configuration that is choking PS.

Is there something that you typically set in your machine that only you might
consider doing?

In the meantime, since LR isn't showing signs of the problem, why not consider
an LR/PS workflow? Millions of us do.

Savageduck

Old January 15th 21, 02:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

that's because you have correctly not identified the problem.

From the beginning I noticed that Photoshop seemed to be using only
one core (out of 12) of the processor

photoshop uses as many cores as is appropriate. not everything benefits
from multiple cores. the obvious one is file i/o.

but then I discovered that when
I started to load a raw file into PS Windows Explorer would start
running and placing a significant load on the rest of the cores. I
also discovered that Windows Error Reporting was running at a high
rate with its power usage described as Œhigh'. Eventually I tracked
down Intel TBMT (Turbo Boost Max Technology) as being the source of
the pat of my problem. With TBMT turned off the CPU uses all cores and
Windows Explorer does not run wild. But even so PS is still slow. Even
when it loads an image the action of ACR sliders is slow and and
sticky, and the use of ACR is nowhere near as easy as it is working on
the same file with Lightroom. My basic problem remains that PS always
opens files in ACR and takes forever to become useable.

that's a symptom of a bigger problem.

This only a recent problem. It does not lie in ACR which runs
prefectly well in Lightroom. It has something to do with TBMT but the
problem is specific to PS. Any thoughts will be welcome although I
suspect there is probably nothing I can do about it until either Adobe
of Microsoft come up with a fix.

the problem is not adobe or microsoft, but rather something specific to
your setup.
Old January 15th 21, 02:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

you're confusing symptoms with problems.