Problem with Sandisk 512 cf card in Sandisk Dual card reader sddr-75

Old December 20th 04, 06:51 PM
Colin

Default Problem with Sandisk 512 cf card in Sandisk Dual card reader sddr-75

Hi,
This is a reply to previous poster (couldn't respond to his message.)
He had trouble with a new sandisk 512 compact flash card in his
Sandisk Imagemate dual card reader # SDDR-75. IT ALSO HAPPENED TO ME!

I just bought a 512 compact flash card. I've been using the SDDR-75
Sandisk dual card reader for a few years with a 256 simpletech card
with absolutely no problems.

I put the new 512 card in my Canon A70, format it, and shoot away. No
problem. I put the card in the reader, no problem. I try to copy the
files.... It hangs the computer. I try again - it copies some, and
corrupts some of the files on the card. (This is on Win 2000.) I view
the card on the camera - some photos will not display.

I reformat the card, reshoot, reboot the computer, then try again.
Same deal.

So, I call Sandisk, give the tech support dude the model numbers. His
reply? "Oh, yeah, that card reader is one of our early models. Your
new memory card is likely pretty new. (I didn't have it with me.)
You'll probably need to buy a new card reader." I ask "Have the
Compact flash standards changed?" "Um, no, but you know technology.
Yesterdays best stuff is todays ....."

So, what to do? I'll try downloading from the camera, to see if the
card is ok. I'll probably try a new card anyway. After that, I am not
sure. The card reader is too old to take back.

Does anyone know why an older reader will not read a newer card?
Nothing else has changed in my camera or pc configuration.

Thanks,
Colin

Old December 20th 04, 11:06 PM
dvus

Colin wrote:

[...]

Here's what they told me:
"We have seen some problems with our Newer Cards not reading correctly in
the SDDR-75. (Extreme) (Ultra2) (All new Cards) These newer cards are much
faster then our older cards and the reader may be having problems reading
these faster cards."

I wasn't told if my reader was one of the ones that was problematical even
though they asked for serial numbers for the 512 MB card *and* for the
SDDR-75 reader. They went on to say:
"Please check out our website on the link below for more information about a
reader.
http://www.sandisk.com/retail/im-12in1.asp"
Which I guess means if your existing reader won't read your card, here's
where you can buy one of our new ones.

dvus

Old December 21st 04, 10:41 PM
colin

dvus wrote:
Colin wrote:

[...]

I called back Sandisk today. Tech. asked me for my address, etc to send
me a replacement reader. I had to call back to give him my serial
number from the reader (didn't have it with me.) I call back, and I get
"Sorry - can't help you." I talk to a supervisor, with no luck. His
story: The new cards have a newer controller in them. I take it to mean
that they are NOT backwards compatable. For a card that is "Guaranteed
Compatable" I think it is very poor.

The end of the story: He'd give me 30% off their website. Yeah, like
I'm going to give them business. I'm returning the card, and will deal
with this after Christmas. So if someone wants a discount code for 30%
off anything on their site, email me.
Colin

Old December 26th 04, 03:59 PM
dvus

colin wrote:
dvus wrote:
Colin wrote:

[...]

I think that you'll have that problem with any of the newer, faster cards.
The SDDR-75 just can't read them, according to SanDisk.

with this after Christmas. So if someone wants a discount code for 30%
off anything on their site, email me.

Heh, too late, I already went and got an SDDR-92. It reads the new card at
super-sonic speeds and cost less than $20.00.

--
dvus