New group needed?

Old February 6th 05, 02:51 PM
The Wogster

Default New group needed?

Okay, that's enough already....

There are more off topic posts to this group then on, out of 106
messages, only 24 actually had anything to do with Photography, never
mind 35mm equipment. Of those 24, 16 were one group member spouting
insults and profanities about another. Only 8 posts were actually on
topic, out of 106. That is a signal to noise ratio of 1:13.25

Would anyone be interested in a moderated 35mm equipment group, maybe on
Yahoo groups or Google groups? I wouldn't mind setting one up on yahoo,
if there are at least 10 people who would be willing to use it.

All in favour?

Old February 6th 05, 03:24 PM
Jean

The Wogster wrote:
Okay, that's enough already....

There are more off topic posts to this group then on, out of 106
messages, only 24 actually had anything to do with Photography, never
mind 35mm equipment. Of those 24, 16 were one group member spouting
insults and profanities about another. Only 8 posts were actually on
topic, out of 106. That is a signal to noise ratio of 1:13.25

Would anyone be interested in a moderated 35mm equipment group, maybe on
Yahoo groups or Google groups? I wouldn't mind setting one up on yahoo,
if there are at least 10 people who would be willing to use it.

All in favour?

I favor a moderated newsgroup instead of this "troll haven". I've been
reading this group for 7 or so years, and it has really degenerated to
the point of being useless.

So please go for it - set up a moderated group on Yahoo...

Jean
Old February 6th 05, 03:51 PM
me

"The Wogster" wrote in message
Okay, that's enough already....

There are more off topic posts to this group then on, out of 106
messages, only 24 actually had anything to do with Photography, never
mind 35mm equipment. Of those 24, 16 were one group member spouting
insults and profanities about another.

I have had to defend myself 11 times against unprovoked attacks during
2/5/05.

Only 8 posts were actually on
topic, out of 106. That is a signal to noise ratio of 1:13.25

Would anyone be interested in a moderated 35mm equipment group, maybe on
Yahoo groups or Google groups? I wouldn't mind setting one up on yahoo,
if there are at least 10 people who would be willing to use it.

All in favour?

I would gladly participate in a moderated NG providing that it be (as this
NG is *supposed* to be) a film camera *only* NG.
Film best,
me

Old February 6th 05, 04:24 PM
Bandicoot

"The Wogster" wrote in message
Okay, that's enough already....

There are more off topic posts to this group then on, out of 106
messages, only 24 actually had anything to do with Photography, never
mind 35mm equipment. Of those 24, 16 were one group member spouting
insults and profanities about another. Only 8 posts were actually on
topic, out of 106. That is a signal to noise ratio of 1:13.25

Would anyone be interested in a moderated 35mm equipment group, maybe on
Yahoo groups or Google groups? I wouldn't mind setting one up on yahoo,
if there are at least 10 people who would be willing to use it.

All in favour?

There is a moderated RP group already - doesn't get much traffic. The
signal to noise ratio goes back to where it should be with a little
filtering.

Peter

Old February 6th 05, 04:26 PM
Alan Browne-

The Wogster wrote:
Okay, that's enough already....

There are more off topic posts to this group then on, out of 106
messages, only 24 actually had anything to do with Photography, never
mind 35mm equipment. Of those 24, 16 were one group member spouting
insults and profanities about another. Only 8 posts were actually on
topic, out of 106. That is a signal to noise ratio of 1:13.25

Would anyone be interested in a moderated 35mm equipment group, maybe on
Yahoo groups or Google groups? I wouldn't mind setting one up on yahoo,
if there are at least 10 people who would be willing to use it.

All in favour?

I'm not against it, but past participation in moderated groups has left
me very cool to the idea. The sponteneity factor is too low, IMO.

Old February 6th 05, 06:14 PM
Tony

learn to use filters and learn to stay on topic. Or go to
rec.photo.moderated and play with yourself.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

Old February 6th 05, 06:53 PM
The Wogster

Alan Browne- wrote:
The Wogster wrote:

Okay, that's enough already....

There are more off topic posts to this group then on, out of 106
messages, only 24 actually had anything to do with Photography, never
mind 35mm equipment. Of those 24, 16 were one group member spouting
insults and profanities about another. Only 8 posts were actually on
topic, out of 106. That is a signal to noise ratio of 1:13.25

Would anyone be interested in a moderated 35mm equipment group, maybe
on Yahoo groups or Google groups? I wouldn't mind setting one up on
yahoo, if there are at least 10 people who would be willing to use it.

All in favour?

I'm not against it, but past participation in moderated groups has left
me very cool to the idea. The sponteneity factor is too low, IMO.

I was thinking more along semi-moderated, new members are moderated,
until we see whether they are going to behave themselves, and then
moderation can be turned off, something that can not be done with an NG.
Participants who then don't behave themselves, can be either kicked
out, or put back on moderated status later on.

The troll would not be able to join under 50 different names, and post
all kinds of OT male bovine manure, as he can here. Because he would
not get passed the moderation stage.

So far I have 3 yes and one maybe, I need 10 people before I am willing
to set it up. As soon as it hits 35 participants, then a second
moderator would be appointed from the group members. At 70 a third
moderator, etc.

OT posts would not be illegal, but could be limited if the participants
got out of hand.

Old February 6th 05, 07:33 PM
Steve Young

"The Wogster" wrote

Alan Browne- wrote:

The Wogster wrote:

[...]
[...]

This is about a notch or 2 further than Alan Brooks is beginning with a
moderated misc.writing.screenplays. You might want to read the threads
Alan has posted to in MWS and news.groups. A wealth of where to begin.

Old February 6th 05, 08:38 PM
me

Alan Browne- wrote:
The Wogster wrote:

[...]

That would be Shoot In Walt not shoot-off. Shoot-Off is what this NG is now
primarly composed of.
Film best.
me

PS: Welcome to the newly consolidated rec.photo.digital,
rec.photo.equipment.35mm where *nothing* is OT!