Nikon F4 doesn't load film

Old November 21st 06, 03:40 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
mr

Default Nikon F4 doesn't load film

I have a Nikon F4 which doesn't load film: when I put in a roll, close
the back cover and press the shutter release button, the shutter fires,
but the spool does not rotate and the alert LED starts blinking. I have
changed batteries and cleaned (with due care) all visible contacts,
tried in DX and manual sensitivity mode.

I've looked at the service manuals and it could be almost anything,
ranging from a faulty switch to a defective FPC

I'm going to take it to a trusted repair shop anyway but I was
wondering what the most likely cause could be, from your experience.

Thanks

Marco

Old November 21st 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Nicholas O. Lindan

"mr" wrote

I have a Nikon F4 which doesn't load film: when I put in a roll, close
the back cover and press the shutter release button, the shutter fires,
but the spool does not rotate and the alert LED starts blinking.

It sounds like the film isn't engaging the rubber take-up
roller because one of the pressure springs/rollers on the
back is bent/jammed.

If this is the only roll of film you have tried I would suspect a
jammed cassette.

You are taking the film leader tongue all the way to the orange
mark and no further?

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.nolindan.com/da/index.htm

Old November 21st 06, 11:10 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
mr

Nicholas O. Lindan ha scritto:

"mr" wrote

I have a Nikon F4 which doesn't load film: when I put in a roll, close
the back cover and press the shutter release button, the shutter fires,
but the spool does not rotate and the alert LED starts blinking.

It sounds like the film isn't engaging the rubber take-up
roller because one of the pressure springs/rollers on the
back is bent/jammed.

Actually they look fine and the camera is clean and without apparent
signs of damage

If this is the only roll of film you have tried I would suspect a
jammed cassette.

I tried several rolls, some I usually rewind and use for similar tests
and also brand-new ones

You are taking the film leader tongue all the way to the orange
mark and no further?

Yes, I know this camera is a bit picky wrt to film alignment so I tried
different positions, unfortunately to no avail.

Thanks

Marco