Kid's camera

Old June 27th 04, 03:25 PM
Giorgio Preddio

Default Kid's camera

Frank wrote in message . ..

Does anybody have a suggestion of a dcamera for a 10-year old who is
pretty responsible and careful? It can't be too expensive because of
the possibility of loss or damage (she is responsible, but her friends
may not be.) Flash capability would be desirable.

The Sigma SD10 is a great camera for learning photographers. I
recommend this camera to my students all the time. Check out the
following professional review:

http://dpreview.com/reviews/sigmasd10/
Old June 27th 04, 04:15 PM
Chris

Canon A-series (A70, A60, etc..)

They aren't too expensive, have built-in flash, and you can get lens
converters should she need to take photos beyond the factory spec
(telephoto, macro).

It's not an SLR, but it performs very well for a learning photographer.

Old June 27th 04, 05:48 PM
John McWilliams

Default [OT] [GP] Kid's camera

Giorgio Preddio wrote:

Frank wrote in message . ..

Does anybody have a suggestion of a dcamera for a 10-year old who is
pretty responsible and careful? It can't be too expensive because of
the possibility of loss or damage (she is responsible, but her friends
may not be.) Flash capability would be desirable.

The Sigma SD10 is a great camera for learning photographers. I
recommend this camera to my students all the time. Check out the
following professional review:

http://dpreview.com/reviews/sigmasd10/

The person posting under the name of George or Georgette Preddy (and
other pseudonyms) has an ungrounded but zealous faith that current
implementation of the Foveon chip is superior to all other chip
technologies. He will cite portions of reviews to ostensibly support his
claims, and will repeat, ad naseum, complete lines of out-of-context
material.

His claims may well be ignored, or at the very least verified since most
of them are extreme distortions and some are out and out fabrications."

Moreover, "Mr." "Preddy" has claimed to be a photographer (pro!), but
cannot bring himself to post a single picture with EXIF info that he
shot himself, in spite of repeated requests and challenges to do so.

Apparently he loathes anything related to Canon and loves everything
about Sigma cameras and lenses. His "claims" may be ignored, and he is
doing Sigma, and anyone related to the Foveon chip, no good at all by
arousing ire, increasing the N/S ratio, and generally spamming this
newsgroup.

--
John McWilliams
Old June 27th 04, 06:27 PM
richardsfault

Great camera, but a bit pricey for a beginner?

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame, but I think it's all...

Richard's fault!

Visit the Sounds of the cul-de-sac at www.richardsfault.com
Old June 27th 04, 06:42 PM
Tony Spadaro

False post - and all lies

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
"Giorgio Preddio" wrote in message
m...

. ..

Old June 27th 04, 10:06 PM
Deathwalker

http://dpreview.com/reviews/sigmasd10/

In all fairness the above review does find the sensor working as advertised.
as far as per pixel resolution is concerned. However it is closer to double
not triple the pixels so is therefore only equivalent to a 6 megapixel
camera. This is still impressive. At iso 100 the colour accuracy is good.
Not only that but grey card noise is far superior. The actual colour noise
isn't so good above 100.

As i expected having read the review is that the foveon system isn't as good
as boasted or as crap as people say. The resolution is as good as a 6.3
megapixel camera.
Its reasonably well made. It'll run on AA batteries. previous versions of
foveon will work on the new raw converter so a very cheap upgrade indeed.

Noise levels are higher than rivals at this price point. Colour accuracy
drops at higher iso too.

All in all a good effort but the traditional cmos and ccd bayer type sensors
have far more momentum in the market. I expect continual improvements
further along the road.

Old June 27th 04, 10:38 PM
Mike Kohary

Giorgio Preddio wrote:
Frank wrote in message
. ..

Does anybody have a suggestion of a dcamera for a 10-year old who is
pretty responsible and careful? It can't be too expensive because of
the possibility of loss or damage (she is responsible, but her
friends may not be.) Flash capability would be desirable.

The Sigma SD10 is a great camera for learning photographers. I
recommend this camera to my students all the time.

He asks for something not "too expensive", and you point him to a $1200
camera. For a 10-year-old. Way to go, corporate pimp!

Obviously this is an inappropriate camera for a 10-year-old, as is any SLR
(unless the kid is some kind of prodigy). I'd recommend the Canon A series,
which are excellent point-and-shoots, or even a used Canon Powershot G2 or
G3, which are high-end point and shoots that can probably be found in the
$200-400 range on Ebay and such. My own 7-year-old uses my old G2 and has a
blast with it; since it can be set to full auto, she doesn't have to worry
about any advanced features, but if she really takes to it, it's a camera
she can grow into over time. Olympus also makes some nice point-and-shoots.

Mike

Old June 28th 04, 01:04 AM
Bandicoot

"Giorgio Preddio" wrote in message
m...

[SNIP]

The Sigma SD10 is a great camera for learning photographers. I
recommend this camera to my students all the time.

Your Students? LOL!

Peter

Old June 28th 04, 02:02 AM
Ted Azito

For a ten year old there's a lot to be said for letting him or her run
a couple of rolls through a garage sale camera that takes 120 or (yes,
you can)620 or 127 film, then buying a $25 rangefinder 35mm-sometimes
you can get a SLR with lens for little more-and a Vivitar flash on a
bracket. You may spend more on the bracket than the camera! Or bend
one up ,cut a slot for a thumbscrew, and put a shoe on it.
Old June 28th 04, 02:04 AM
Ted Azito

Oh sorry-you waned a digital camera. Some penis head crossposted to the /.35mm group
Belay that
No data, except a cheap one.