Which one to buy Canon PowerShot SX30 IS or Leica V-Lux 2

Old April 15th 11, 03:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mulperi

Default Which one to buy Canon PowerShot SX30 IS or Leica V-Lux 2

I am going to buy Canon PowerShot SX30 IS or Leica V-Lux 2 or are there any
others to think. Or are there coming better ones in a two or three months
--
Juha Heinonen

Old April 15th 11, 07:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
jim

There's an awful lot of negativism out there on the SX30; I've got one and I
love it. Problem is it's a P&S and I guess people are buying it expecting
SLR results. I didn't expect SLR performance and results and therefore I'm
very contented with my purchase.

Old April 16th 11, 01:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
N[_9_]

On 16/04/2011, MC wrote:

If all cameras
produced the same quality image, using the same quality components and
lenses, then the only difference in cameras from the different
manufacturers would be the shape and design and all would cost around
the same.

MC

And still the results would vary dramatically.

Photographers would understand how the camera will capture a scene and
what the results will be.

Others will just snap everything in front of them without regard to
composition and colour rendition.

Old April 16th 11, 05:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
MG

"Mulperi" wrote in message
I am going to buy Canon PowerShot SX30 IS or Leica V-Lux 2 or are there
any
others to think. Or are there coming better ones in a two or three months
--
Juha Heinonen

Have a look at the Nikon P500.

MG

Old April 16th 11, 07:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Outing Trolls is FUN![_5_]

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 22:22:51 GMT, "MC" wrote:

ASCII wrote:

jim wrote:
There's an awful lot of negativism out there on the SX30;

Is that negativism from actual owners
or those who wish they were?

I've got one and I
love it. Problem is it's a P&S and I guess people are buying it
expecting SLR results.

SLR results like more weight, less features, and higher cost?

I'm very contented with my purchase.

Me too!

You forgot image/sensor quality (in the majority of cases) and the
ability to choose the quality/type of glass with which to capture that
image, rather than be stuck with inferior sensors and cheap lenses
stuck to the front of the majority of the P&Ss.

You mean like the ability to buy a 3X zoom lens for that DSLR, the lens
alone for the cost of the whole superzoom camera? Like this 3X DSLR lens
that is easily beaten by a 20X "cheap lens stuck to the front of" the
superzoom camera?

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_PowerShot_SX10_IS/outdoor_results.shtml

Do you know that it costs about $5,500 in DSLR glass just to try to EQUAL
the focal-lengths, performance, and aperture of that "cheap lens stuck to
the front of" that superzoom camera? That's no speculation, that's a hard
cold fact.

Admittedly, entry level/starter SLRs are not much better than some P&Ss
but go up the scale to the semi pro/pro versions of these SLRs and you
are talking a different ball game.

MC

Admittedly, entry level/starter newsgroup DSLR trolls are absolute morons,
as are all who promotes their archaic last-century slapping-mirror and
slow-sync shutters and crud-covered sensors that need constant cleaning
lest all your shots for weeks be ruined with no way to recreate them, but
they're not as moronic as you are.

Old April 16th 11, 11:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Outing Trolls is FUN![_5_]

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 21:23:43 +0100, Bruce wrote:

You have suggested two cameras that have slightly larger sensors, and
that are therefore likely to have better image quality.

Get it through your ****ing thick skulls. The sensor has NOTHING TO DO WITH
IMAGE QUALITY, UNLESS YOU NEED TO SHOOT AT HIGH ISOs. And even then,
smaller sensors can easily surpass the low-noise levels of larger sensors
by using stacking methods. Or, conversely, using the MUCH larger apertures
available at the long focal-lengths afforded by superzoom lenses, so high
ISOs aren't even required.

IT IS THE LENS WHICH DETERMINES IMAGE QUALITY. And in that case, compact
and superzoom cameras MUST have their lens elements figured to
diffraction-limited quality -- THE BEST THERE IS -- in order to resolve
details on those smaller photosites. THIS IS WHY THEY CAN OFTEN SURPASS THE
RESOLUTION AND PERFORMANCE OF DSLR GLASS.

DSLR glass is sloppy, for TWO reasons: 1) it is much more difficult to
figure larger diameter optics to diffraction-limited curvatures at a cost
that the consumer is willing to pay, and 2) at wider apertures they cannot
provide the required resolution to resolve details down to photosite
levels.

OWNING AND BUYING A DSLR AND DSLR GLASS IS *NO* GUARANTEE THAT YOU WILL GET
BETTER IMAGES JUST BECAUSE THEY HAVE LARGER SENSORS.

YOU ****INGLY IGNORANT AND PATHETIC MORONS.

JUST LIKE EVERY DSLR PROPONENT AND OWNER--****ING MORONS. EACH AND EVERY
LAST ONE OF YOU.

Old April 17th 11, 12:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

MC wrote:
Outing Trolls is FUN! wrote:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_PowerShot_SX10_IS/outdoor_results.shtml

Broken kit zoom lens. Broken troll record.

Do you know that it costs about $5,500 in DSLR glass just to try to
EQUAL the focal-lengths, performance, and aperture of that "cheap
lens stuck to the front of" that superzoom camera? That's no
speculation, that's a hard cold fact.

I would rather buy quality rather than quantity.

Which is wise. But you also buy quantity:

Said PowerShot SX10 IS has 5-100mm focal length, a less than
impressive quality at ISO 400 and above (yes, real photographers
only use ISO 0.5, Sybil, we know) and an aperture of 2-17.5mm.

Except for the 5mm all are easily beaten by a DSLR (warning:
this is a hard, cold fact) --- and the 5mm do not confer a
particularly wide angle due to the tiny sensor.

So you'd buy quality and quantity. Try 28mm aperture. Or
111mm aperture. Or 214mm aperture. All available for DSLRs.
Some for less, some for more money.

-Wolfgang
Old April 17th 11, 08:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Outing Trolls is FUN![_5_]

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 13:27:01 +0200, Wolfgang Weisselberg
wrote:

MC wrote:
Outing Trolls is FUN! wrote:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_PowerShot_SX10_IS/outdoor_results.shtml

Broken kit zoom lens. Broken troll record.

Do you know that it costs about $5,500 in DSLR glass just to try to
EQUAL the focal-lengths, performance, and aperture of that "cheap
lens stuck to the front of" that superzoom camera? That's no
speculation, that's a hard cold fact.

I would rather buy quality rather than quantity.

Which is wise. But you also buy quantity:

Said PowerShot SX10 IS has 5-100mm focal length, a less than
impressive quality at ISO 400 and above (yes, real photographers
only use ISO 0.5, Sybil, we know) and an aperture of 2-17.5mm.

Can you get any more trollishly deceptive?

Except for the 5mm all are easily beaten by a DSLR (warning:
this is a hard, cold fact) --- and the 5mm do not confer a
particularly wide angle due to the tiny sensor.

Huh, funny that. I have posted 9mm and 16mm EFL photos with ZERO CA in
them, sharp, edge to edge, taken with a superzoom camera. Too bad you
missed those. Other's didn't. That's why they have now shut the **** up
with displaying the very same ignorance that you are displaying now.

So you'd buy quality and quantity. Try 28mm aperture. Or
111mm aperture. Or 214mm aperture. All available for DSLRs.
Some for less, some for more money.

-Wolfgang

Yes, let's see you haul around and take handheld shots with 214mm (8.5")
aperture. LOL!!!!!!! Not to mention all the other required lenses to try to
equal the image quality of superzoom cameras. What's that going to set you
back? About $200,000 now?

You're slipping as a pretend-photographer troll.

YOUR FIRED!

LOL!!!!!!

Old April 18th 11, 04:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 14:44:12 -0500, Outing Trolls is FUN!
wrote:

Yes, let's see you haul around and take handheld shots with 214mm (8.5")
aperture. LOL!!!!!!! Not to mention all the other required lenses to try to
equal the image quality of superzoom cameras. What's that going to set you
back? About $200,000 now?

You're slipping as a pretend-photographer troll.

YOUR FIRED!

I have to admit that Mothboy doesn't make a lot of stupid errors in
his writing. (Just stupid comments.)

However, here he's signing the post as the person who was fired. If
only Wolfgang could!
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old April 19th 11, 04:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

MC wrote:
Outing Trolls is FUN! wrote:

Broken kit zoom lens. Broken troll record.

No answer is an answer.

Said PowerShot SX10 IS has 5-100mm focal length, a less than
impressive quality at ISO 400 and above (yes, real photographers
only use ISO 0.5, Sybil, we know) and an aperture of 2-17.5mm.

Can you get any more trollishly deceptive?

I could try to pretent some unsharp fuzz was a rare moth, but
you do it much better.

I guess you don't like hard facts like straight numbers.

Except for the 5mm all are easily beaten by a DSLR (warning:
this is a hard, cold fact) --- and the 5mm do not confer a
particularly wide angle due to the tiny sensor.

Huh, funny that. I have posted 9mm and 16mm EFL photos with ZERO CA in
them, sharp, edge to edge, taken with a superzoom camera.

At 200x300 pixels and high JPEG compression they might appear
"sharp" and "without visible CA". Of course, you would have to
buy extra lenses for that.

Too bad you
missed those.

So you copied some DSLR shots, noised them, unsharpened them and
overcompressed the JPEG? No wonder they are taken down by the
police faster than one can look at them.

If they were genuine, they'd be available permanently, and since
your magical superzoom can do anything, you'd present them in full
resolution or at least 100% crops to show off the image quality.

Other's didn't. That's why they have now shut the **** up
with displaying the very same ignorance that you are displaying now.

Mu-ha-ha. They are just ignoring you troll. (if not,
they'd be posting long diatribes correcting me! See?)

So you'd buy quality and quantity. Try 28mm aperture. Or
111mm aperture. Or 214mm aperture. All available for DSLRs.
Some for less, some for more money.

Yes, let's see you haul around and take handheld shots with 214mm (8.5")
aperture. LOL!!!!!!!

Let's see you take any shots with a 28mm aperture on your
soup-zoom camera first. After all, that's just a cheap 50mm
f/1.8 --- you sure can match it's shallow DOF and light
gathering capabilities with your superzoom, right?

Not to mention all the other required lenses to try to
equal the image quality of superzoom cameras. What's that going to set you
back? About $200,000 now?

Mo I'd have to get lenses designed to be as bad as soup-zoom
camera lenses. Or less: just smear vaseline on a filter and
put it in front of a perfectly good lens.

After all, you said image quality, not angle of view. (not
that *you'd* be able to produce anything worthwile with 560mm
EFL.)

You're slipping as a pretend-photographer troll.

YOUR FIRED!

Your mixing up of "your" and "you are" (aka "you're") shows your
mastery of the English language is better than your soup-zoom's
quality.

LOL!!!!!!

See? Six exclamation marks? A sure sign of someone who
wears his underpants over his head. Opera can do that to a
man. Or soup-zooms.

-Wolf'I have a new superzoom and an old DSLR. Guess.'gang