ambient light portrait

Old February 23rd 04, 03:11 PM
Peter Fauland

Default ambient light portrait

Hi,

http://www.fauland-fotografie.de/Bildkritik.html

this shot was taken in the staricase of an old house using ambient
light. I was trying with and without additional flash, but like this
version better. Comments are welcome.
bye
Peter
Old February 23rd 04, 04:13 PM
Don

I like the shot very much, perhaps it is the model also. She is very
intriguing .

Your website is another story, too dark!!

Old February 23rd 04, 05:33 PM
Peter Fauland

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 10:13:08 -0500, "Don"
wrote:

I like the shot very much, perhaps it is the model also. She is very
intriguing .

Thank you :-))

Your website is another story, too dark!!

too dark ? The background colors or the photographs ? :-) Or maybe
it`s me ?

bye
Peter
http://www.fauland-fotografie.de

Old February 23rd 04, 09:14 PM
Phil Stripling

In article , Peter Fauland
wrote:

SNIP
this shot was taken in the staricase of an old house using ambient
light. I was trying with and without additional flash, but like this
version better. Comments are welcome.

Hi, Peter,

I like a great deal about the photo. The subject is in the light
and in focus, while the background recedes into shadow and out
of focus -- a very nice touch on making the subject really stand
out.

My only hesitation is that the light on the model does not model
her face at all. She has no shading to give roundness and depth
to her face. Her nose, at least on my monitor, does not extend
from her face; it seems to be a part of her cheekbones. The
collar of her jacket, her turtleneck sweater, and her chin also
appear to be on the same plane. It may be that my monitor is
just not showing any shading, and in any event, this is a
minor quibble which I bring up because the photo is so well
done in separating the model from the background -- excellent
composition and striking subject.

Old February 24th 04, 02:00 PM
Peter Fauland

Hi Phil,

I like a great deal about the photo. The subject is in the light
and in focus, while the background recedes into shadow and out
of focus -- a very nice touch on making the subject really stand
out.

Thank you. The location was kind of "backup solution" because the
weather was bad ...

My only hesitation is that the light on the model does not model
her face at all. She has no shading to give roundness and depth
to her face. Her nose, at least on my monitor, does not extend

I agree with you, the light situation could be improved. I plan to go
tere again and use external fill-flash plus reflector ...

minor quibble which I bring up because the photo is so well
done in separating the model from the background -- excellent
composition and striking subject.

Thanks again ... I will let her know ... :-)))

bye
Peter
http://www.fauland-fotografie.de
Old February 24th 04, 04:42 PM
Jack Germsheid

Peter,
Quite nice really. I see a small highlight in the bottom of her left
eye. Is this a reflector or some other reflective surface nearby? You
said you tried some with flash and some without. Just wondering.
Jack

Old February 24th 04, 07:38 PM
Peter Fauland

Hi Jack,

Quite nice really. I see a small highlight in the bottom of her left
eye. Is this a reflector or some other reflective surface nearby? You
said you tried some with flash and some without. Just wondering.

You really looked carefully. In this shot I just used a 5in1 refelctor
with the golden surface (reflecting the little natural light
available). All shots with flash were too outshined, even after
reducing by 2 stops. I guess the distance model - flash was too short
using the available space.
Of course one could use a flash - 5in1 reflector setup .... There are
many ways to go for .... :-)))

http://www.fauland-fotografie.de/Bildkritik.html

Thanks for commenting ....

Peter
http://www.fauland-fotografie.de
Old March 13th 04, 08:05 PM
Alan Browne

Peter Fauland wrote:

Hi,

http://www.fauland-fotografie.de/Bildkritik.html

this shot was taken in the staricase of an old house using ambient
light. I was trying with and without additional flash, but like this
version better. Comments are welcome.
bye
Peter

Excellent composition and subject placement.

The flat lighting doesn't work, however. Something needs to done to
give depth to her face.

-1.5 to -2 Fill light from the left to cast a weak shaddow from her hair
and nose, as well as put stronger catchlights in her eyes, perhaps.

Cheers,
Alan

--
e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.