morse contact printers

Old July 1st 06, 02:36 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Default morse contact printers

In article t,
Richard Knoppow wrote:

"Thor Lancelot Simon" wrote in message
In article
et,
Richard Knoppow wrote:

If its as slow as contact printing paper it should work
like a charm.
The lamps are arranged with separate switches for each
lamp for dodging but the lamps are also arranged with
additional switches that turn them on or off in concentric
rings. The 10x10 printer has 39 low wattage GE UV lamps.

These are rather nice for platinum printing.

I am surprized they are intense enough. Platinum printing
usually requires a very strong source such as a plate burner
or not too strong daylight, similar to printing out paper.
The UV sources in the Morse printer are about 4 watts each.
They were designed for short printing time on paper like
Azo, not for printing out papers. Have you actually used a
Morse printer for Platinum?

I took a printing class with George Tice in the early 1990s, and on
the last day he brought his platinum printing setup in and demonstrated
it. From the description of the arrangement of light sources in the
10x10 Morse I am pretty much certain that that's what he used (his printer
was 10x10 as well). I don't know whether he modified the light source
somehow for more brightness -- were these bulbs available in higher wattages?

The printer was very convenient and certainly nicer than other light
sources for platinum printing that I've used since.

Platinum emulsion is very UV sensitive. Perhaps that makes the
difference.

--
Thor Lancelot Simon

"We cannot usually in social life pursue a single value or a single moral
aim, untroubled by the need to compromise with others." - H.L.A. Hart
Old July 3rd 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

I have a Morse contact printer. I have found that I can make contact
prints on normal enlarging paper by using an enlarging timer to control
exposure. I have a timer that will do time increments of 0.1 seconds.
With all of the bulbs exposing I can usually get properly exposed
prints at times of about 0.4-0.5 seconds. When I cut the number of
bulbs down I can get a little more exposure latitude. If we added an
ND filter for 3-4 stops density decrease, and also used the timer we
would probably have a reasonable amount of print control.

Old July 4th 06, 05:10 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

"RJM" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a Morse contact printer. I have found that I can
make contact
prints on normal enlarging paper by using an enlarging
timer to control
exposure. I have a timer that will do time increments of
0.1 seconds.
With all of the bulbs exposing I can usually get properly
exposed
prints at times of about 0.4-0.5 seconds. When I cut the
number of
bulbs down I can get a little more exposure latitude. If
we added an
ND filter for 3-4 stops density decrease, and also used
the timer we
would probably have a reasonable amount of print control.

Given the speed ratio of a bout 1:100 of enalrging paper
to contact paper this sounds about right. The argon lamps
turn on and off instantaneously, one could not make shuch
short exposures with incandescent lamps.
Its quite possible that a ND filter would also work, one
would want to know its UV transmission. The problem is that
you would not be able to vary the contrast of variable
contrast paper.
I will have to experiment with this when I print next.
The last week we have had 90 degree temperatures in L.A. so
I have not been feeling much like darkroom work (no A/C).

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old July 4th 06, 12:22 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 04:10:44 GMT, "Richard
Knoppow" wrote:

The last week we have had 90 degree temperatures in L.A. so
I have not been feeling much like darkroom work (no A/C).

--
---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA

July 4, 2006, from Lloyd Erlick,

Last summer I decided against getting an air
conditioner.

This year I've learned from my silliness and
put the smallest one they sell in my window.
What a relief. As Canadians say, it's not the
heat, it's the humidity ...

regards,
--le
________________________________
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
website: www.heylloyd.com
telephone: 416-686-0326
email:
________________________________

Old July 8th 06, 04:09 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

On Sat, 1 Jul 2006 04:16:04 +0000 (UTC), (Thor Lancelot
Simon) wrote:

These are rather nice for platinum printing.

But not high enough output.

==
John S. Douglas
Photographer & Webmaster
Legacy-photo.com - Xs750.net
Old July 8th 06, 04:14 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 07:22:55 -0400, Lloyd Erlick Lloyd at @the-wire.
dot com wrote:

As Canadians say, it's not the
heat, it's the humidity ...

Humidity ? What's that ?

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...st?query=37183

16C and 82% at 10:12PM CST.

BTW, did I ever mention that I live on Spring St. ? Yeah guess what's
right down the road. 2 creeks !

==
John S. Douglas
Photographer & Webmaster
Legacy-photo.com - Xs750.net
Old July 8th 06, 04:19 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 10:16:15 GMT, "Richard Knoppow"
wrote:

They are beautifully designed and very ruggedly built
machines but paper suitable for contact printing on them is
simply not available any more (although I understand someone
may have undertaken to make a replacement for Azo).

And what about Azo ? I haven't heard anything from Michael Smith since
that APB for the Azo ordering he did with Kodak a couple of years ago.

http://www.michaelandpaula.com/mp/Azo_Notice.html

==
John S. Douglas
Photographer & Webmaster
Legacy-photo.com - Xs750.net
Old December 28th 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Nermal

I have used one of these for printing-out paper. The exposure time was
2 - 5 minutes. The heat build up during the exposure time was minimal.
I also printed to blue print paper.

If I had one of these things now, I would print some of my old negatives
to a home made silver chloride coated paper.

Richard Knoppow wrote:
"Thor Lancelot Simon" wrote in message

In article
.net,
Richard Knoppow wrote:

"murrayatuptowngallery"
wrote in message
egroups.com...

Doesn't sound like a boat anchor...sounds cool, other
than
the
unpleasantry of having to source and pay for replacement
argon lamps,
but the detail of circular placement and switches is
something that
would be a pain to implement.

How about contact print internegs onto graphic arts
film...that's slow,
right?

Old December 28th 06, 08:46 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Richard Knoppow

news

Richard Knoppow wrote:
"Thor Lancelot Simon" wrote in message

I am very surprized that you got this result. My
experience with printing out paper is that it requires a few
minutes in direct sunlight. The intensity of my Morse
printer is very much below this. They were intended for
printing aerial camera negatives on rather slow contact
paper, something like Azo, with a few seconds exposure time.
The lamps are very low power Argon lamps. BTW, I found a
bunch of the lamps at a ham radio swap meet a couple of
months ago for a dollar each! I don't think the guy selling
them knew what they were.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old December 28th 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Nermal

These Argon lamps produce a very intense UV output. A simple test will
indicate the relative intensity of the Argon lamps vs. sunlight: insert
a negative in a print frame in front of a sheet of enlarging paper (any
type for this test). Place in direct sunlight for a few minutes and
check the image on the paper. Do the same with the Argon lamps in front
of the negative. You may be surprised.

I have also used B&W paper loaded in a press camera and exposed the
paper until I got a good visible image on the paper (only a few hours at
f8). The printed out images can be fixed in regular fixer. Last
emulsion that I tried (Kodabromide F5) worked ok but the image lacked
contrast. I did not try intensifying or toning the images.

The paper negatives produced using a camera contact printed out ok (must
use a paper with out a water mark.

Richard Knoppow wrote:
news