OT Name of Photographer that did flash shots of steam trains?

Old October 16th 04, 03:11 PM
Scott in Florida

Default OT Name of Photographer that did flash shots of steam trains?

I've seen some excellent pictures of steam trains taken at night.

It is obvious that the photographer fired a LOT of flash bulbs to
create the picture.

One that pops to mind shows a drive in movie with a steam train in
the background.

Does anyone know the name of the photographer and where his works
can be viewed/purchased?

I know it isn't digital...but we all came from film (or at least most
of us g)

--
Scott in Florida
Old October 16th 04, 03:43 PM
Charlie Self

Scott in Florida asks:

I've seen some excellent pictures of steam trains taken at night.

It is obvious that the photographer fired a LOT of flash bulbs to
create the picture.

One that pops to mind shows a drive in movie with a steam train in
the background.

Does anyone know the name of the photographer and where his works
can be viewed/purchased?

I know it isn't digital...but we all came from film (or at least most
of us g)

O. Winston Link, and there's a museum of his works in an old railroad station
in Roanoke, VA. I'd imagine you could google up some sources of his photos for
sale, including at the museum.

Never mind. I got curious: http://www.linkmuseum.org/

They've got a store.

Enjoy.

Charlie Self
"There are two ways of exerting one's strength: one is pushing down, the other
is pulling up." Booker T. Washington

Old October 16th 04, 06:02 PM
Tony

O Winston Link. He died last year - in his 90s. He was teh master of the
multiple flash set-up back in the days when you had to replace every bulb
after each shot.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

news

Old October 16th 04, 08:55 PM
Jer

Tony wrote:

O Winston Link. He died last year - in his 90s. He was teh master of the
multiple flash set-up back in the days when you had to replace every bulb
after each shot.

Winston served as inspiration for my older Aussie spelunker brother. BJ
used this technique to shoot a wideangle multiple exposure of a large
cave scene. Using an IR remote, the image showed him standing next to
all ten flashpole units (only one that was moved for each exposure),
with all interior surfaces well illuminated regardless of the flash
angle. IIRC, this image won him some sorta club award about 15 years ago.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Old October 17th 04, 07:24 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

O Winston Link. He died last year - in his 90s. He was teh master of the
multiple flash set-up back in the days when you had to replace every bulb
after each shot.

I think it was back in the late 50s that Sylvania used to have an
ongoing contest for suggestions of large subjects, details were on the
back of every carton of Press 25-b bulbs.

No AG1Bs back then? :)

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com