Zion Fall colors

Old November 2nd 03, 07:10 AM
Tim Smith

Default Zion Fall colors

"JRF" wrote:

"Bill Hilton" wrote in message
From: "JoeT"

You would think the photographers amongst the forestry
group would have elected to wait until after the fall colors
to start the control fires!

It will soon be snowing up there on the north rim and the roads aren't

plowed,
so it's do controlled burns now when the park facilites are shut down and
conditions are right, or wait until the spring when a huge wildfire might

do it
for you. Can't win either way.

Bill

My gripe is that the Park Service didn't announce the burn in advance - they
blindsided everyone. They set 2 separate fires; the first generated enough
public interest that they made an announcement as they were starting the
second one. Like I said earlier, because I live in Las Vegas, I can and
will go again. But I also took the first full week vacation in 10 years to
go to the Grand Canyon, Sedona, Bryce, Zion, Cedar Breaks, etc, and got very
little good visibility. We came home earlier than planned and skipped the
Cedar Breaks/Brian Head area altogether. My wife and I still had a good
time, but the photography aspect of the trip was almost a complete bust.
Imagine the disappointment of the people from other countries, where there's
not much chance of ever getting back.

Any chance that the fires will burn out and the smoke go away by later
this week? I was planning a photo trip to Zion and Cedar Breaks this
next week, leaving (by car) from Northern CA tomorrow (Sunday), and
getting to the Cedar City area on probably Tuesday.

What a bummer!

Old November 3rd 03, 07:39 PM
Liz

In message 5JDob.38479$Rd4.5745@fed1read07
"JRF" wrote:

Imagine the disappointment of the people from other countries, where there's
not much chance of ever getting back.

Oh, I can!
And I can also imagine how I'd feel if I had booked to come within the next
few days, with no chance of a refund. :-(

Liz
--
Virtual Liz at http://www.v-liz.co.uk
Kenya; Tanzania; India; Seychelles