looking for honest critique

Old March 3rd 05, 11:35 PM
crazylikedat

Default looking for honest critique

Hi all....

I have some of my pics up on a website and have asked those close to me
to look and critique. Problem? either they don't say much or they get
all gooey. I want some real honesty. Anyone out there willing to lend
a hand?

http://www.pbase.com/crazylikedat/galleries

Brutal honesty only please.

Thanks a ton!!!

Tanya

Old March 4th 05, 12:09 AM
Rudy Benner

"crazylikedat" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all....

I have some of my pics up on a website and have asked those close to me
to look and critique. Problem? either they don't say much or they get
all gooey. I want some real honesty. Anyone out there willing to lend
a hand?

http://www.pbase.com/crazylikedat/galleries

Brutal honesty only please.

Thanks a ton!!!

Tanya

Perhaps its your style, I find them all a bit dark. I will try to be more
brutal next time.

Old March 4th 05, 12:12 AM
Krystian Polak

Hi,

Here we are, some genui honesty:

DSC_0256.JPG - almost there, lift up sky and brown building color, make it
more vivid, nice composition, maybe except snow in foreground on the left,
you could compose it without it

DSC_0269.JPG - hugely underexposed

DSC_0250.JPG - focus on board behind, nothing to see here, I would like to
see close up photos, it is such a subject

DSC_0234.JPG - lift up levels, bring life, it could be good shot

DSC_0257.JPG - nothing here

P1010011.JPG - line up perspective, crop it as blue, glass wall will fill
whole frame, it could be good, now it is a snapshot

DSC_0268.JPG - nice composition, a bit too soft, levels againg

DSC_0197.JPG - nothing here, just pet

etc ect

Check you monitor, try to calibrate it a least a bit, it seem that it is too
bright.

Regards,

K.Polak

Old March 4th 05, 12:53 AM
Ben Thomas

crazylikedat wrote:
Hi all....

I have some of my pics up on a website and have asked those close to me
to look and critique. Problem? either they don't say much or they get
all gooey. I want some real honesty. Anyone out there willing to lend
a hand?

http://www.pbase.com/crazylikedat/galleries

Brutal honesty only please.

You won't get any of that here....

--
Ben Thomas
Old March 4th 05, 01:34 AM
Frank ess

crazylikedat wrote:
Hi all....

I have some of my pics up on a website and have asked those close to
me to look and critique. Problem? either they don't say much or
they get all gooey. I want some real honesty. Anyone out there
willing to lend a hand?

http://www.pbase.com/crazylikedat/galleries

Brutal honesty only please.

Thanks a ton!!!

Tanya

I like your eye for subjects. You've made plenty of good choices among
myriad opportunities that are much more ignorable than these. We have in
common a difficulty in bringing the inspiring view into full play when
we push the button.

Tilted horizons, mis-framed subjects off by just a few percent,
inclusion of distracting elements that flew right past the cortex while
in full view of the eye, unpleasant location of frame-edges, too much
dependence on subject in valuing photos - all errors I have committed
and will perpetrate again to be sure.

A very few people have perfect pitch from the git-go; some of us have to
work hard and verbalize everything we do just to hum a recognizable
tune. Another lucky few plug away at it until one day it all falls into
place and what was difficult and laborious becomes natural, even
inevitable, the stuff of divas.

I'm in the middle category, trudging into each day's offerings with my
always-improving toolkit, hoping for the flash of revelation that
transforms my tentative, ugly duckling yodelings into a true, effortless
swan of an operatic baritone.

If the process weren't rewarding in itself I'd probably have given up
rather than persist for well more than half a century.

Which is to say: It's just a matter of a few degrees, millimeters,
lumens, Herz between a snapshot and a _photograph_, and it is work,
finding them.

PS: San Diego is a great place for photo-ops, isn't it?

--
Frank ess

Old March 4th 05, 03:12 AM
crazylikedat

Thanks Frank. You are right...I seem to live for the moment that I put
my stuff on the pc and see something half-way decent. I am very new at
digital and am struggling with some of the more rudimentary skills ie
exposuure. I think I am heading towards a digital class and soon. I do
wish I had it as easy as some that point, shoot and create a wonderful
photo. It almost seems that the harder I try the more problems I have.
I do not have as trained of an eye as some and miss little details that
they quickly pick up. It is true that the camera sees everything in
the frame not just what we want it to see. I am having fun and that is
what it is all about.

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it!!!!

Tanya

Old March 4th 05, 05:09 AM
Sheldon

"crazylikedat" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all....

I have some of my pics up on a website and have asked those close to me
to look and critique. Problem? either they don't say much or they get
all gooey. I want some real honesty. Anyone out there willing to lend
a hand?

http://www.pbase.com/crazylikedat/galleries

Brutal honesty only please.

Thanks a ton!!!

Tanya

Honestly? I really like the shot of the baby's foot in the towel. You
could have done an entire series on parts of the baby and it would have been
quite interesting. Otherwise, nothing here excites me. Very dark. Not
much color.

Old March 4th 05, 05:11 AM
Derek Fountain

I posted my version and yours at: .....
http://tinyurl.com/6dwq6 (slow to load sometimes)

....says I'm not logged in as the owner!

--
The email address used to post is a spam pit. Contact me at
http://www.derekfountain.org : a
Old March 4th 05, 05:29 AM
TheNewsGuy

On 3 Mar 2005 15:35:22 -0800, "crazylikedat"
wrote:

I have some of my pics up on a website and have asked those close to me
to look and critique. Problem?

I like a lot of your compositions and subjects but I would suggest
some digital enhancements to get the real emotion of the subject
across to the viewer...
=======================

sd51010004.JPG

I'd rotate the image about 2 degrees to make the lines vertical,
add some saturation to the sky - I'd remove the people moving out of
the frame at the bottom and crop the image more tightly I would
sharpen the image.

I posted my version and yours at: .....
http://tinyurl.com/6dwq6 (slow to load sometimes)

============
P1010010.JPG
Nice, strong,

Remove the distraction of the person on the bottom
lens flare - use PhotoShop and edit it out.
====================

01/02.JPG
Nice
I'd add some saturation and contrast to the colors
I'd remove the distracting two white sticks(?) in the relfection

================
P1010053.JPG
No center of interest and a bit washed out.. The skyline merges with
the horizon line
(not a keeper)
=================
P1010054
I'd crop to the lower left quarter and make the bridge the strong
element and add contrast and saturation to the image

That's a start...

+ The News Guy(Mike) - Seinfeld Lists
+ (two mirrored sites)
+ http://membres.lycos.fr/tnguym