Re : Any SD memory cards that come with a USB reader?

Old September 13th 08, 08:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
milsabords

Default Re : Any SD memory cards that come with a USB reader?

a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion
: ...
I know some of the SanDisk SD cards come with a Micro Mate USB
reader. Do any other brands of SD memory include a USB reader?

The SanDisk come with MicroMate because they are SDHC. Most card readers
only support SD.

Old September 13th 08, 09:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jürgen Exner

"milsabords" wrote:
a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion
I know some of the SanDisk SD cards come with a Micro Mate USB
reader. Do any other brands of SD memory include a USB reader?

The SanDisk come with MicroMate because they are SDHC. Most card readers
only support SD.

The SDHC standard is over 2 years old. By now word should have spread to
the manufacturers about it and most card readers you can buy today do
support SDHC.
Of course older models bought over 2 years ago won't and those purchased
within the past 2 years are maybe/maybe not.
I got one 1 1/2 years ago and it did support SDHC already.

jue
Old September 14th 08, 12:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
cliff davenport

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 13:39:19 -0700, Jürgen Exner wrote:

"milsabords" wrote:
a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion
I know some of the SanDisk SD cards come with a Micro Mate USB
reader. Do any other brands of SD memory include a USB reader?

The SanDisk come with MicroMate because they are SDHC. Most card readers
only support SD.

The SDHC standard is over 2 years old. By now word should have spread to
the manufacturers about it and most card readers you can buy today do
support SDHC.
Of course older models bought over 2 years ago won't and those purchased
within the past 2 years are maybe/maybe not.
I got one 1 1/2 years ago and it did support SDHC already.

jue

I still have one of those old readers and found something interesting.

Longish story to get to the point later...

I was trying to increase the card-size available for an older, but exceptional
still-can't-be-beat-by-any-camera-made-today, camera that takes the older Memory
Stick Pro cards. Originally the cards used to cost $90 for 256MB. I figured with
the low low price of MicroSD cards out there that I would try an experiment. I
got a Memory Stick Pro to Memory Stick Pro Duo adapter, then a Memory Stick Pro
Duo to MicroSD card adapter. Piggybacked a 4GB MicroSDHC card into the two
nested adapters. Works flawlessly in the camera. 4GB of very fast memory in my
older, but fantastic, camera for less than $20, not counting the one-time
overhead adapter price. If I tried to buy that much memory for my camera back
when I got it it would have cost me over $1,400 in 16-256MB chunks. If I recall,
the 1GB Memory Stick Pro cards back then were still over $280 each, it would
have still been over $1100 in the largest cards available at the time to get the
same capacity, at even less speed. Quite the price savings and what a nice
upgrade to a camera that's still very much worth having and using today.

Here's the card-reader pertinent part. I still couldn't read the 4GB MicroSDHC
card in my card-reader by using a standard MicroSD to SD adapter, the card being
SDHC. So I thought I'd try an experiment. When piggy-backed into the Memory
Stick Pro Duo adapter and using the Memory Stick slot instead of the SD slot
then the non-SDHC card-reader sees the MicroSDHC just like any other Memory
Stick.

Thought I'd pass on this little bit of info. Someone may enjoy finding out that
they don't have to pay outrageous prices for Memory Stick Pro/Duo cards. As well
as a unique work-around for older non-SDHC card-readers if you are investing in
the newer high-speed MicroSDHC cards. My other reason for supplementing my SD
stash with MicroSD cards is that my MP3 player likes them. When out shooting
photos while listening to tunes if I run out of memory for images I can always
sacrifice a MicroSD MP3 card for photos, erase/reformat for camera use. I can
always replace the songs later when I get back home. But I might never get those
shots again if I don't have some memory for them at the time.

If anyone is interested in more info to get these adapters, I found the
MicroSDHC 4GB Class-6 card bundled with a MS Pro Duo adapter. It is made by
Transcend, their part # TS4GUSDHC6-MS. The Memory Stick Pro Duo to Memory Stick
adapter bundled with a 1GB Memory Stick Pro Duo card is made by Lexar, label on
the packaging says "Platinum II", ISBN label on the back has a part # of
MSDP1GB-40-664. I got both from Newegg.com.

As long as I was on the hunt for more memory for all my cameras and MP3 player I
didn't mind if the adapters that I was after were already bundled with the very
cards that I wanted. I found that you could get just the adapters alone from
"unknown" retailers on Amazon for much lower prices without any bundled memory
cards. Though one of the adapters could only be found in an "adapter kit" that
cost as much as the one I got bundled with a memory card. I didn't want to take
the chance on giving any untested-stores my credit numbers.
Old September 15th 08, 11:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Sneddon

In message , Jürgen Exner
writes
"milsabords" wrote:

The SanDisk come with MicroMate because they are SDHC. Most card readers
only support SD.

The SDHC standard is over 2 years old. By now word should have spread to
the manufacturers about it and most card readers you can buy today do
support SDHC.

I bought a couple of cheap SD card readers from my local Pound Store (2
bucks US). The price was, as it says on the sign, a pound UK. They are
SDHC-compatible as well as handling MMC cards -- I've used everything in
them from a 32Mb MMC up to a couple of different 16Gb Class 6 SDHC cards
and had no problem.
--
To reply, my gmail address is nojay1 Robert Sneddon