best panorama stitching software?

Old February 14th 05, 01:32 PM
jmc

Default best panorama stitching software?

I commonly use the panorama option of my Nikon CP8700... currently I'm
using either Archsoft Panorama Maker 3.0, or the stitching capability of
Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0.

I create panoramas enough that it might be worthwhile to look for more
capable options. I like Panorama Maker, but sometimes I wish I could
combine the way each program approaches manual stitching. Elements
allows manual rotation and positioning, while PM utilizes a three-point
system. I find PM does usually produce the more accurate, seamless
panos, but not always.

So, I'm looking for recommendations for both free and paid panorama
creation software. If it costs, preference is towards products with
free trial software, preferably time-limited rather than crippleware.

Thanks!

jmc
Old February 14th 05, 02:02 PM
David J Taylor

jmc wrote:
[]
So, I'm looking for recommendations for both free and paid panorama
creation software. If it costs, preference is towards products with
free trial software, preferably time-limited rather than crippleware.

http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html

Cheers,
David

Old February 14th 05, 02:32 PM
jmc

David J Taylor wrote:
jmc wrote:
[]

So, I'm looking for recommendations for both free and paid panorama
creation software. If it costs, preference is towards products with
free trial software, preferably time-limited rather than crippleware.

http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html

Cheers,
David

David, thank you. I looked at the examples, and have to say I wasn't
impressed. A lightpole in the city image is way wrong, and I don't like
the blurring of the top and bottom on the green image. Mount Garibaldi
does look nice though. The results from this program don't seem any
better than what I'm getting with my two 'free' proggys:

http://www.jodi.ws/scotland/tattoo04...toopanos_.html

(comments welcome, btw)

These are from this summer, I'm still working on my Paris photos and
panoramas.

jmc
Old February 14th 05, 04:27 PM
David J Taylor

jmc wrote:
David J Taylor wrote:

[]
http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html

Cheers,
David

David, thank you. I looked at the examples, and have to say I wasn't
impressed. A lightpole in the city image is way wrong, and I don't
like the blurring of the top and bottom on the green image. Mount
Garibaldi does look nice though. The results from this program don't
seem any better than what I'm getting with my two 'free' proggys:

http://www.jodi.ws/scotland/tattoo04...toopanos_.html

(comments welcome, btw)

These are from this summer, I'm still working on my Paris photos and
panoramas.

jmc

Well, my impression is that AutoStitch gives better results, and I suggest
you try it. Of course, its major advantage is speed - open the images and
everything else is done. Perhaps those other free programs are as good
and we should be looking at them as well!

Your unknown Edinburgh hill is Calton Hill, by the way - about 5km north
of here.

Cheers,
David

Old February 14th 05, 05:21 PM
Pete Fenelon

jmc wrote:
I commonly use the panorama option of my Nikon CP8700... currently I'm
using either Archsoft Panorama Maker 3.0, or the stitching capability of
Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0.

I create panoramas enough that it might be worthwhile to look for more
capable options. I like Panorama Maker, but sometimes I wish I could
combine the way each program approaches manual stitching. Elements
allows manual rotation and positioning, while PM utilizes a three-point
system. I find PM does usually produce the more accurate, seamless
panos, but not always.

So, I'm looking for recommendations for both free and paid panorama
creation software. If it costs, preference is towards products with
free trial software, preferably time-limited rather than crippleware.

Smoky City Design's 'The Panorama Factory'. I got some very nice results
from it, with a bit of work.

http://www.panoramafactory.net/

pete
--
"there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas"
Old February 14th 05, 06:26 PM
jmc

Pete Fenelon wrote:
jmc wrote:

So, I'm looking for recommendations for both free and paid panorama
creation software. If it costs, preference is towards products with
free trial software, preferably time-limited rather than crippleware.

Smoky City Design's 'The Panorama Factory'. I got some very nice results
from it, with a bit of work.

http://www.panoramafactory.net/

pete

Thanks, Pete! The user's gallery is quite impressive. I've downloaded
the trial version and will check it out.

jmc
Old February 14th 05, 09:03 PM
jmc

jmc wrote:

So, I'm looking for recommendations for both free and paid panorama
creation software. If it costs, preference is towards products with
free trial software, preferably time-limited rather than crippleware.

Thanks!

So far I have received two recommendations - AutoStitch and Panorama
Factory.

To help document my research, and to fish for comments from the experts,
I've created a webpage at:

http://www.jodi.ws/panotests/panoramatests.htm

Please feel free to offer your opinions, and continue to offer
suggestions on products I can trial - I'll add them to the page as I
test them.
Old February 15th 05, 12:01 PM
David J Taylor

jmc wrote:
[]
So far I have received two recommendations - AutoStitch and Panorama
Factory.

PanoTools is another free tool you should try. There are some front-ends
like HUGIN (free, I've not used it) and PTGui (shareware).

http://www.path.unimelb.edu.au/~dersch/

http://hugin.sourceforge.net/

http://www.ptgui.com/

Cheers,