Why don't crop sensor cameras have crop weight bodies?

Old February 6th 11, 05:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Why don't crop sensor cameras have crop weight bodies?

On 2011-02-06 09:32:02 -0800, C J Campbell

On 2011-02-04 14:41:16 -0800, Me said:

Sure - they could probably make a "digital FM" (or IMO, a "digital FA"
would be better with PASM metering modes). Some people have been
whining about this for years, and so far none of the makers have come
up with one.

Consider me one of the whiners. I would buy one of these in a heartbeat.

If available, I would rather buy mine in a camera store.

Hmm. Good point.

I once tried leaving in a huff, but I never got anywhere.

You have a Huffmobile! ??
(Apologies to Hupmobile owners)

Savageduck

Old February 6th 11, 07:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article , Paul Furman
wrote:

BTW, this is what I was comparing in my head: D700 vs EM:
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=d700...21068427%40N08
-notice all the extra bulk on the bottom (why?)

the d700 is closer to an f100 or f5 class of camera, not an em or fm.

the type of person who bought an em or fm is satisfied with a nikon d40
class camera, nothing too fancy.

and the f5 was rather hefty too:

http://imaging.nikon.com/products/im...hives/history-
f5/index.htm

and who can forget the kodak behemoths:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lback_dcs420_0
1.jpg

http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/kodakdcs520/images/front_view.jpg

http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/KodakDCS760/Images/frontview.jpg
Old February 6th 11, 09:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Peter N[_2_]

On 2011-02-04 14:41:16 -0800, Me said:

Sure - they could probably make a "digital FM" (or IMO, a "digital FA"
would be better with PASM metering modes). Some people have been
whining about this for years, and so far none of the makers have come
up with one.

Consider me one of the whiners. I would buy one of these in a heartbeat.

If available, I would rather buy mine in a camera store.

Hmm. Good point.

I once tried leaving in a huff, but I never got anywhere.

Did you put gas in it?

--
Peter
Old February 6th 11, 10:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Peter N[_2_]

On 2/6/2011 2:03 PM, nospam wrote:
In articlea_ydnXHk0fYMJtPQnZ2dnUVZ5vGdnZ2d@giganews. com, Paul Furman
wrote:

BTW, this is what I was comparing in my head: D700 vs EM:
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=d700...21068427%40N08
-notice all the extra bulk on the bottom (why?)

the d700 is closer to an f100 or f5 class of camera, not an em or fm.

the type of person who bought an em or fm is satisfied with a nikon d40
class camera, nothing too fancy.

Not necessarily. I owned an F3, FM, FE, together with a Bronica and
Rollie TLR. Each had different uses. The FE & FM were used primarily as
backups and to minimize lens changing.

and the f5 was rather hefty too:

http://imaging.nikon.com/products/im...hives/history-
f5/index.htm

and who can forget the kodak behemoths:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lback_dcs420_0
1.jpg

http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/kodakdcs520/images/front_view.jpg

http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/KodakDCS760/Images/frontview.jpg

--
Peter
M, FE
Old February 7th 11, 06:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell[_2_]

On 2011-02-04 14:41:16 -0800, Me said:

Sure - they could probably make a "digital FM" (or IMO, a "digital FA"
would be better with PASM metering modes). Some people have been
whining about this for years, and so far none of the makers have come
up with one.

Consider me one of the whiners. I would buy one of these in a heartbeat.

If available, I would rather buy mine in a camera store.

Hmm. Good point.

I once tried leaving in a huff, but I never got anywhere.

Did you put gas in it?

I recall there being a lot of hot air at the time. Does that count?

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old February 8th 11, 02:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Peter N[_2_]

Old February 8th 11, 06:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell[_2_]

On 2011-02-04 14:41:16 -0800, Me said:

Sure - they could probably make a "digital FM" (or IMO, a "digital
FA"
would be better with PASM metering modes). Some people have been
whining about this for years, and so far none of the makers have come
up with one.

Consider me one of the whiners. I would buy one of these in a
heartbeat.

If available, I would rather buy mine in a camera store.

Hmm. Good point.

I once tried leaving in a huff, but I never got anywhere.

Did you put gas in it?

I recall there being a lot of hot air at the time. Does that count?

Did it work?

Seemed to work better than leaving in a snit.

Old February 8th 11, 07:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Peter N[_2_]

On 2011-02-04 14:41:16 -0800, Me said:

Sure - they could probably make a "digital FM" (or IMO, a "digital
FA"
would be better with PASM metering modes). Some people have been
whining about this for years, and so far none of the makers have
come
up with one.

Consider me one of the whiners. I would buy one of these in a
heartbeat.

If available, I would rather buy mine in a camera store.

Hmm. Good point.

I once tried leaving in a huff, but I never got anywhere.

Did you put gas in it?

I recall there being a lot of hot air at the time. Does that count?

Did it work?

Seemed to work better than leaving in a snit.

Snit for snot

--
Peter
Old February 9th 11, 09:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Eric Stevens

On 2011-02-04 14:41:16 -0800, Me said:

Sure - they could probably make a "digital FM" (or IMO, a "digital FA"
would be better with PASM metering modes). Some people have been
whining about this for years, and so far none of the makers have come
up with one.

Consider me one of the whiners. I would buy one of these in a heartbeat.

If available, I would rather buy mine in a camera store.

Hmm. Good point.

I once tried leaving in a huff, but I never got anywhere.

Your spelling let you down. You would have done much better in one of
these: http://tinyurl.com/4h6557s
Old February 11th 11, 10:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Alfred Molon wrote:
Go ahead and keep talking nonsense. The reality is that compact cameras
dominate the market. Size matters.

Cell phone cameras dominate. Everyone has one or three.
Many people don't have a compact camera.

Of course, for sunshine shots your average compact or phone camera
does very well, and good ones are excellent. Indoors most need
flash already during the day.

BTW, utilizing a huge dewar flask full of liquid nitrogen
and a tripod you *can* make available light portraits with
compact cameras. Even on a summer's night outside, where just
a small campfire or a single candle adds light to a moonless,
overcast night. You'll still need some effective noise and hot
pixel supression for your compact camera. Maybe even dark frames
to combat thermal glow.

Been there, done just that. With a big camera, sometimes using
a big lens, handheld, and without the participants being frozen
to death. And it's much more portable and long term storable
than the liquid nitrogen.

Yes, if you know what you are doing --- which may mean multiple
flash units placed and balanced just right and a willing subject
with time and tolerance (and the ability to act) --- you can pull
off flash shots that look natural and spontaneous. But most
compact cameras can't even adjust flash power, much less tilt
and swivel the head. A few cameras have at least a hot shoe,
but even if the owners have flash unit(s) they usually don't
carry them casually like cameras.

All of which means that I'll keep my big camera and use it whenever
there's something special. Especially as I carry 'casual' cameras
(plural by now) and know what they cannot do.

-Wolfgang