This guy mattered more than Jobs the Toymaker

Old October 20th 11, 04:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default This guy mattered more than Jobs the Toymaker

On 2011-10-19 04:54:09 -0700, Bruce said:

"Neil Harrington" wrote:
Bruce wrote:
"Neil Harrington" wrote:
Actually the French had considerable reason to be more ****ed
off than anyone else about the whole 1914-18 war, since (in the
European theater at least) the war was fought almost entirely
on French soil, with enormous destruction to the country --
while no comparable destruction occurred in Germany.

French and Belgian soil, surely?

Well, it took the German army about three weeks to go through
Belgium. They did considerable damage on the way through, to be
sure, Belgian resistance proving greater than they had expected.
But after that, for the four years of the war, the fighting on
the western front was mostly in France. Trench warfare that just
went on and on, the front moving back and forth with one advance
or another, but always remaining in France. The destruction
caused by heavy and sometimes continuous artillery fire was
tremendous. It changed landscapes.

Remember Belgium:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Remember_Belgium.jpg

That's one of the best-known British WWI propaganda posters.
Here's an even less, er, subtle one:

http://www.dhm.de/lemo/objekte/pict/pl003967/index.html

The British turned out a lot of these things for American
consumption as well as the folks at home, because they were
desperate to get the U.S. into the war.

The Rape of Belgium:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_of_Belgium

"The Rape of Belgium" early in the war was probably the most
popular propaganda theme, "rape" often referring to the actual
physical act as well as the analogy. Primarily (if not entirely)
these stories were products of the British propaganda apparatus,
and became wilder and more outrageous as they went on, often
combining rape with various kinds of mutilation, disembowelment,
etc. The next most popular theme was the cutting off of Belgian
children's and babies' hands and other parts by fiendish German
soldiers, nailing them to doors and walls with bayonets, etc.
Such accounts were as numerous as they were imaginative.

During and after the war, large numbers of these stories were
investigated and found to be completely baseless. They certainly
served their purpose very well during the war, probably being
critical in bringing America into the war on the side of the
Allies. Unfortunately the hatred and revulsion they inspired
against Germans innocent of those acts continues today, nearly a
century after the propaganda had accomplished that purpose, as
the pages you've linked to illustrates so well. Arthur Ponsonby, a
British M.P. who was well acquainted with these
investigations, wrote a small book on the subject which was
published in 1928. Now entitled "FALSEHOOD IN WAR-TIME:
Propaganda Lies of the First World War," it is fortunately
available in its entirety online:
http://www.vlib.us/wwi/resources/arc...nsonby.html#21

It should be required reading for anyone with any interest in the
subject of wartime alleged atrocities.

Lord Ponsonby was the man who also gave us the famous
observation, "When war is declared, truth is the first casualty."
This is something we forget at our peril.

In 1924 Hitler expressed great admiration for British propaganda
in the Great War, calling it far superior to German propaganda
which he regarded as foolish and ineffectual. German propaganda
merely made the enemy appear as buffoons. British propaganda
demonized the enemy, and did that job very well.

Thanks Neil. I have read quite a lot about WW2, and watched many
films and television programmes, but virtually nothing about WW1,
other than its role in setting the scene for WW2.

WW2 appears to have been an almost inevitable consequence of how
the ending of WW1 was (mis)handled, together with what followed. The
contrast between the way the victors handled the aftermath of
the two wars is stark. In terms of what followed WW2, Europe has
much to thank America for, because without massive US funding
(mostly via grants, with some loans) there would not have been a
lasting peace.

There is some great reading to be done on WWI, two of the most
important deal with events before the outbreak of war. They are
historian Barbara W. Tuchman's "The Proud Tower" & "The Guns of
August". Then worth reading on the subject of WWI, in no particular
order
a John Keegan, "The First World War"
Paul Fussell, "The Great War and Modern Memory"
G. J. Meyer, "A World Undone; The Great War 1914-1918"
Siegfried Sassoon, "Memoirs of an Infantry Officer"
Ernst Jünger, "Storm of Steel" (an interesting take from the German
side)

Also worthwhile from the German side is the fiction of Erich Maria Remarque,
largely based on his own experiences. Not just "All Quiet on the Western
Front," but his novels about post-WWI Germany such as "Three Comrades" and
"The Road Back."

Neil Hanson, "Unknown Soldiers"
T. E. Lawrence, "The Seven pillars of Wisdom"

There is a well known route to knowledge, and usually it involves
reading. While some WWI documentaries exist they will only give you
the "Cliff notes" version of the history, and not without an
element of bias.

Yes, and that's the main reason I dislike TV documentary series such as Ken
Burns's. They are well made, and entertaining, but designed for audiences
essentially ignorant of the subject(s) who will be satisfied with a very
superficial treatment. Such people watch the series with rapt attention and
then believe they now know all about the Civil War (or whatever), while
actually they have only touched on some of the high points and have no real
understanding of the politics, motivations, economic and other pressures,
etc., that would really explain the reasons for the thing.

They remind me of those guided tours -- "See Europe! Six Countries in Eight
Days!" or something like that.

"Goodbye to all that" by Robert Graves is one I would add to that
list.

Absolutely!
That was an unintentional omission on my part, it is in my library and
might actually be a good first read as an introduction to some of the
WWI writers without the morbid sentimentality of the work of the dead
War poets. It is a very good read.

Yes. I was going to add it to your list myself but Irwell beat me to it.

Somewhere (but where?) I have a rather massive four-volume set of "The World
War," published one volume at a time through the war years. I think the
author's name was Simmons, or Simmonds. I bought it many years ago in an
antiques store that had a lot of old books, for some ridiculously low price,
just a few dollars. It has loads of contemporary information on the
continuing war, the campaigns, etc., with maps. Also much coverage of the
war at sea. Lots of photographs.

Now I not only cannot find the books, I cannot even find any mention of the
series online. I cannot understand this. It was in its day well regarded,
and I recall seeing it mentioned elsewhere. "The World War," four volumes,
the last volume published probably in 1918 or '19. This exasperates me.

I've really got to do something about my apartment

I found, "Through the Wheat, The US Marines in World War I" by Brig.
Gen. Edwin Simmons USMD (Ret.)

The only WWI multivolume history of the "Great War" I know of was Hew
Strachan's "The First World War - The complete Series". However he is
one of our contemporaries.
He was commissioned to write that history by Oxford University Press to
replace C.R.M.F Cruttwell's "A History of the Great War, 1914-1918.

Cruttwell was himself a WWI veteran who was severely wounded in 1916.
He went on to write of his own war experience and various historic
tomes. He never fully recovered from his war injuries and suffered a
mental breakdown and died in 1941. Oxford wanted a definititve WWI
history without the taint of Cruttwell's war related mental issues.

Savageduck

Old October 20th 11, 05:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
irwell

On 2011-10-19 04:54:09 -0700, Bruce said:

"Neil Harrington" wrote:
Bruce wrote:
"Neil Harrington" wrote:
[...]

A good read, if you can find a copy is 'The Sunken Fleet" by Helmut Lorenz,
translated by Samuael H.Cross. It is fiction but has tons of factual
scenes of the Battle of Jutland.
Old October 20th 11, 03:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 10/20/11 8:00 AM, in article
,
"Whisky-dave" wrote:

On Oct 18, 8:11*pm, "Neil Harrington" wrote:
Whisky-dave wrote:
On Oct 17, 9:12 pm, "Neil Harrington" wrote:
otter wrote:
On Oct 15, 7:57 pm, Rich wrote:
The underpinning of our computer world rides on this fellow's and
his colleague's efforts, not Apple adult toys.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/14/tech/i...hie-obit-bell-
labs/index.html

As much as I respect Dennis Ritchie and invention of the C
programming language, it was really just one thing, and not without
warts.

Steve Jobs and Woz brought us the first useful personal computer,
the Apple II. And then they stole some ideas and gave us the Mac,
which

I don't think the Woz had much (if anything) to do with the Mac,
though apparently the Apple II was almost entirely his creation.

The Mac, as I recall, was originally intended to be just an economy
version of the $10,000 Lisa -- which was a flop.

led to Windows, and the windowing guis in the unix/linux world. Then

I think the first version of Windows appeared at about the same time
as the Mac,

About a year after the first mac.

*though that Windows was unworkable for practical purposes and pretty
much remained so for a few years, until 3.0.

Yep.

But at least Windows had color from the beginning, unlike the early
Macs with their funky little blue monochrome screens.
#
I was usiong colour on my BBC micro in 1982. *4 years before windows.

I don't know what a BBC micro is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Microcomputer

Those macs had monochrone screens not blue.

Monochrome and blue. Black writing on a pale blue screen. That's what it was
on every early Mac I ever saw.

Then you're colour blind ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_128K
The built-in display was a one-bit black-and-white, 9 in (23 cm) CRT
with a resolution of 512×342 pixels, establishing the desktop
publishing standard of 72 PPI

I could print in colour fromm a Macplus.
The first PCs we had were green and black or orange and black displays
no real colour.

IBM quickly brought out the CGA card for the PC to compete with Apple's
color. The CGA card provided "eight colors," but normally only four at any
one time, same as the Apple II. And those eight colors included two blacks
and two whites, again the same as Apples. For example, on the Apple II you
had a choice of red, blue, black and white -- or the other palette: green,
purple, black and white. And for both makes, only at horrible resolution -- *
320 x 200 for the PC, and less than that for the Apple.

I really don;t remmeber PCs being able to print graphics at that time,
the first laser printer
we hadt was an AppleLaserwriter , anyone that wanted anything other
than text at
standard res. came to me., I used to do all the notices as PCsd could
print much beyond 18pt
I could get 144pt quite easily then emlarge that on teh print dialogue
if need be.
I could print 1 character per A4 sheet.

That was know as Aldus PostScript. That made Apple far greater in the
graphics industry than any PC back in the late 80's.

Old October 20th 11, 05:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Neil Harrington[_6_]

On 2011-10-19 19:47:49 -0700, "Neil Harrington" said:

[...]

I just now found it, finally -- or at least three of the volumes. I had the
title slightly wrong.

It's "History of the World War" by Frank H. Simonds.

Looking at the frontispiece of the last one I see it's Volume FIVE. Hmpf. So
either I don't have the complete set, or I was wrong about the number. This
is definitely the final volume, (c) 1920. The other two I've found so far
are Volumes Two and Three.

I'm glad of this discussion -- I hadn't seen or even thought about the
Simonds books for decades. Now I'll see if I can find the remaining
volume(s).

Old October 20th 11, 06:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-10-19 19:47:49 -0700, "Neil Harrington" said:

[...]

Interesting;
Here is volume #1;

http://www.questia.com/library/book/...-h-simonds.jsp

A search on Amazon for "Frank H. Simonds" finds various individual
volumes, no complete sets, and some other interesting related books he
had authored.

Savageduck

Old October 20th 11, 06:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-10-19 19:47:49 -0700, "Neil Harrington" said:

[...]

....and here is another of his books, "They Shall Not Pass" from
Gutenberg Press;
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/28171...-h/28171-h.htm

Savageduck

Old October 20th 11, 06:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Neil Harrington[_6_]

otter wrote:
On Oct 15, 7:57 pm, Rich wrote:
[...]

Yes, one-bit black and white, but the "white" was pale blue.

Look at that 128K Mac photo again. That screen doesn't look pale blue to
you? I'll agree the higher intensity parts look closer to white.

with a resolution of 512×342 pixels, establishing the desktop
publishing standard of 72 PPI

I could print in colour fromm a Macplus.
The first PCs we had were green and black or orange and black
displays no real colour.

IBM quickly brought out the CGA card for the PC to compete with
Apple's color. The CGA card provided "eight colors," but normally
only four at any one time, same as the Apple II. And those eight
colors included two blacks and two whites, again the same as Apples.
For example, on the Apple II you had a choice of red, blue, black
and white -- or the other palette: green, purple, black and white.
And for both makes, only at horrible resolution -- 320 x 200 for the
PC, and less than that for the Apple.

I really don;t remmeber PCs being able to print graphics at that time,

I don't remember them having that ability either.

the first laser printer
we hadt was an AppleLaserwriter , anyone that wanted anything other
than text at
standard res. came to me., I used to do all the notices as PCsd could
print much beyond 18pt
I could get 144pt quite easily then emlarge that on teh print dialogue
if need be.
I could print 1 character per A4 sheet.

A PC with the new EGA card was the most amazing thing I'd ever seen.
Sixteen colors on the screen all at the same time, and in 640 x 350
resolution. Wow! That was in 1985.

With my BBC I had what was called 16 colours abefore the end of 1982

I'm not sure when the EGA card appeared. 1985 was just the first time I saw
it, when I was shopping for my first PC. I didn't buy mine with EGA as it
was too expensive.

after upgrading from 16K to 32k
you had an extra 8 flashing colours (8 stanbdard 16k) which meant for
games you could make things appear and disapear

I remember flashing colors on the PC. The youngsters who ran BBSs in those
days loved to decorate their sites with every conceivable combination of
color, flashing, bold and normal text. That would have been by the time most
of us had gone to EGA. I don't recall CGA having any of that stuff.

much faster by changing their logical colour rather than redrawing the
image.
I could also play the 'close encounter of the 3rd kind' beeps through
ther internal speaker, all PCs could do at the time was beep.

Well, PCs could play tunes by clicking the speaker at different frequencies.
I'm not saying it was high fidelity sound, but it worked.

It had 4 programmable sound channels, outp[uts for RS423 adn a
modulator so you could connect it to a TV.

Old October 20th 11, 07:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Neil Harrington[_6_]

On 2011-10-20 10:21:13 -0700, Savageduck

On 2011-10-19 19:47:49 -0700, "Neil Harrington"
said:

[...]

Thanks a lot. I'd never heard of Questia before.

search on Amazon for "Frank H. Simonds" finds various individual
volumes, no complete sets, and some other interesting related books
he had authored.

...and here is another of his books, "They Shall Not Pass" from
Gutenberg Press;
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/28171...-h/28171-h.htm

Thanks.

Gutenberg is always a great source, and a good thing about books published
during and shortly after WWI is of course that they will be pre-1923, and
therefore almost certainly no longer protected by copyright, at least in
this country.

Looking through Vol. 2 of Simonds' "History" I found it has articles by
several other contributors, including one on British minesweeping by Rudyard
Kipling ( ! ) . . . being a lifelong Kipling fan I read that one right away.
Somewhat disappointing compared to his more familiar works, but then I don't
think he ever had been a war correspondent or anything in that line.

Old October 20th 11, 07:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-10-20 10:21:13 -0700, Savageduck

On 2011-10-19 19:47:49 -0700, "Neil Harrington"
said:

[...]

Actually Kipling had been a war correspondent before, most notably
during the Boer War 1898-1902, that was pretty much as a favor to his
friend Rhodes.
He was personally effected by WWI when his son was killed in 1915, and
was a changed man from then until his death in 1936.

Savageduck

Old October 20th 11, 08:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

otter wrote:
On Oct 15, 7:57 pm, Rich wrote:
The underpinning of our computer world rides on this fellow's and
his colleague's efforts, not Apple adult toys.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/14/tech/i...hie-obit-bell-
labs/index.html

--- snip ---

I really don;t remmeber PCs being able to print graphics at that time,
the first laser printer

I've seen an early Apple Imagewriter used for outputting CAD from an
Apple computer.

we hadt was an AppleLaserwriter , anyone that wanted anything other
than text at
standard res. came to me., I used to do all the notices as PCsd could
print much beyond 18pt
I could get 144pt quite easily then emlarge that on teh print dialogue
if need be.
I could print 1 character per A4 sheet.

A PC with the new EGA card was the most amazing thing I'd ever seen. Sixteen
colors on the screen all at the same time, and in 640 x 350 resolution. Wow!
That was in 1985.

Well before then was the 1976 Cromemco 'Dazzler' color system which
was used to generate many of the US weather reports on TV.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cromemco_Dazzler

With my BBC I had what was called 16 colours abefore the end of 1982
after upgrading from 16K to 32k
you had an extra 8 flashing colours (8 stanbdard 16k) which meant for
games you could make things appear and disapear
much faster by changing their logical colour rather than redrawing the
image.
I could also play the 'close encounter of the 3rd kind' beeps through
ther internal speaker, all PCs could do at the time was beep.
It had 4 programmable sound channels, outp[uts for RS423 adn a
modulator so you could connect it to a TV.

Regards,

Eric Stevens