Sony to announce 12x ZLR at PMA

Old February 17th 05, 03:59 AM
True211

Default Sony to announce 12x ZLR at PMA

http://www.sdcard.be/Nederlands/stor...roduct=8980416

Will it have IS?

Old February 17th 05, 04:04 AM
Woodchuck Bill

"True211" wrote in
:

http://www.sdcard.be/Nederlands/stor...roduct=8980416

Will it have IS?

It looks just like the Minolta Z series...LOL. The Buck Rogers case.

--

Bill
Old February 17th 05, 04:21 AM
Ken

"Woodchuck Bill" wrote in message ...
"True211" wrote in
:

http://www.sdcard.be/Nederlands/stor...roduct=8980416

Will it have IS?

It looks just like the Minolta Z series...LOL. The Buck Rogers case.

First thing I noticed is whenever you look through the EVF your nose will smear the LCD and
they just can't get away from tiny buttons you need a screw driver to push. Lens 2.8-3.6.
Hmmm....

They will probably sell a bunch no matter how good or bad it is. It's a Sony, after all.

Old February 17th 05, 07:01 AM

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 22:59:41 -0500, "True211"
wrote:

http://www.sdcard.be/Nederlands/stor...roduct=8980416

Will it have IS?

The only information I could find, which might or might not be all
that reliable until Sony makes an official announcement about this
camera is:

-------------------------------------
5.1 Megapixel Effective
5.3 Megapixel 1 1/2.5 inch Super HAD CCD
12X optical zoom
Super Steady shot
F2.8 - 3.7, 36 - 432 mm (35 mm conversion)
2,5 inch (115K dots) LCD
EVF (118K dots)

Real Imaging Processor
32 MB internal Memory
MS / MSpro
Using NiMH (2100mAh) = 260 shots
Using NiMH (2500mAh) = 290 shots
High speed USB (USB 2.0)

Supplied accesoires :
NH-AA-DA 2X
BC-CS2
Shoulder strap
AV cable
USB cable
Lenshood
ImageMixer VCD2
USB driver
-----------------------------------

Shrug, I guess "Super Steady Shot" is supposed to be a reference to
the camera having IS. But there's no flash hotshoe on top, and the
camera body really does make it look like Sony research and design
copied heavily from the the Minolta Z2/Z3. I had hoped to see Sony
release something as distinctive as the F717 but with an upgrade to 8
megapixels and a 12x IS Zeiss lens system ...and perhaps including an
advancement in the TTL autofocus and hologram laser AF assist. I
know, I'm not asking for much am I? ;-)
Old February 18th 05, 07:50 PM

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 07:07:44 -0500, Larry

says...
Shrug, I guess "Super Steady Shot" is supposed to be a reference to
the camera having IS. But there's no flash hotshoe on top, and the
camera body really does make it look like Sony research and design
copied heavily from the the Minolta Z2/Z3. I had hoped to see Sony
release something as distinctive as the F717 but with an upgrade to 8
megapixels and a 12x IS Zeiss lens system ...and perhaps including an
advancement in the TTL autofocus and hologram laser AF assist. I
know, I'm not asking for much am I? ;-)

I dont think that is a real camera.

Sony has put a CF card slot in their last two top end cameras (F-828 & V-3)
and I dont think they are going to stop this practice on anything big enough
to have room for it.

Out of the 5 megapixel models the the V3 is CF/MSPro and the F828
CF2/MSPro. But all the others like the F88, F707, F717, DSC-M1, all
the DSC-P* series, etc., are strictly either MS, MS/MSPro, MSDuo/MSDuo
Pro. Just saying the hybrid models that can take both memory stick
and compact flash have been few when compared to the number of models
released that only support Sony's proprietary memory stick technology.
If the new model does only support one memory type then it would seem
to be reasonable for Sony to push sales of their own memory by
discarding CF2 support.

To me, this new 12x model from Sony doesn't look like it is intended
to be a top of the line model (it's definitely not in the same class
as the 8 megapixel F828). Rather it looks like, given the little
information available about it, a midrange model designed to attract
buyers that are interested in a 5 megapixel fixed lens big zoom camera
with IS technology selling for around $500-$600. In this light the
new model from Sony reminds me of Canon's sudden release of the S1 IS.
An attempt to put something on store shelves to cash in on a
recognized buying trend in the market rather than a release intended
as an upgrade to any existing line of products.
Old February 18th 05, 08:05 PM
Larry

says...
[...]

I still dont think it is a REAL camera. It just doesn't look SONY... dont
know how to explain it.

As for the cf-card slot, everything you listed came BEFORE the 828 (first
Sony to have a CF-slot) and the V-3 (Second Sony to have a cf-slot). Im
guessin' Sony will put a cf-card slot on any camera that has ROOM for it.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.
Old February 19th 05, 12:46 AM

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 15:05:24 -0500, Larry
wrote:

I still dont think it is a REAL camera. It just doesn't look SONY... dont
know how to explain it.

I don't think it looks like something I'd expect from Sony either, and
it was curious that the limited leaked specs on the new model don't
mention this camera as having a Carl Zeiss zoom lens.
Old February 19th 05, 09:41 PM
Woodchuck Bill

Larry wrote in
T:

I dont think that is a real camera.

It most certainly is. Here is the official announcement...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/05...sony_dsch1.asp

--

Bill