How can I save different versions in Lightroom?

Old June 13th 08, 03:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
MaryL

Default How can I save different versions in Lightroom?

I am a brand-new user of Lightroom (just purchased this week), and I wonder
if someone on this group can offer a solution to what seems like a very
simple problem -- but I haven't been able to find the solution. That is, I
want to be able to locate pictures edited in Lightroom and later use them in
other programs or email them. I simply can't find any record of these
pictures. I can't find "save as" or anything similar. I did try renaming,
but that simply renames the *original* image and does not save the edited
version to a file. If I close and then reopen Lightroom, it does open to
the last change, but every other program I have provides a way of "saving
as" so that I can have multiple versions that are readily available through
Explorer or other searches.

Can anyone help? I did look into "export," but that seems to assume using
a DVD. I simply want to save a copy to disk.

(I am using Lightroom 1.1 and Vista Home Premium.)

Thanks,
MaryL

Old June 13th 08, 04:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , MaryL
-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

I am a brand-new user of Lightroom (just purchased this week), and I wonder
if someone on this group can offer a solution to what seems like a very
simple problem -- but I haven't been able to find the solution. That is, I
want to be able to locate pictures edited in Lightroom and later use them in
other programs or email them. I simply can't find any record of these
pictures. I can't find "save as" or anything similar. I did try renaming,
but that simply renames the *original* image and does not save the edited
version to a file. If I close and then reopen Lightroom, it does open to
the last change, but every other program I have provides a way of "saving
as" so that I can have multiple versions that are readily available through
Explorer or other searches.

you can make virtual copies of an image and modify each one separately
(photo menu, create virtual copy). lightroom references the original
file for all copies, so there's no wasted disk space.

at any time, you can export a copy of the selected images to a jpeg,
tiff, bmp or whatever format you prefer, in whatever size you need
(e.g., small for email or large for printing), and named in any way you
want. in the file menu, select export..., pick the various options and
then click export.

there are also lightroom plugins that can directly export to flickr and
other photo sharing sites, without saving an interim file.

(I am using Lightroom 1.1 and Vista Home Premium.)

you just bought it and it's version 1.1?? at a minimum, you should
update to 1.4.1, and maybe look at 2.0 beta.
Old June 13th 08, 04:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J. Littleboy

"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

I can't find "save as" or anything similar.

It's called "Export".

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old June 13th 08, 04:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
MaryL

"nospam" wrote in message
In article , MaryL
-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I had located export, but it appeared (incorrectly) that it was
only for burning to DVD. I just tried again and found that it really was
saved to the location I selected, although Lightroom had created a
sub-folder named "Lightroom Burned Exports."
there are also lightroom plugins that can directly export to flickr and
other photo sharing sites, without saving an interim file.

(I am using Lightroom 1.1 and Vista Home Premium.)

you just bought it and it's version 1.1?? at a minimum, you should
update to 1.4.1, and maybe look at 2.0 beta.

Yes, I bought it just this week from Academic Superstore (an online source
for academic discounts). It never occurred to me that I might be buying an
outdated version. Ironically, I bought Corel Wordperfect Office X4 at the
same time, and that clearly is the newest version.

Thanks, again.
--
MaryL

Old June 14th 08, 02:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

MaryL wrote:

you just bought it and it's version 1.1?? at a minimum, you should
update to 1.4.1, and maybe look at 2.0 beta.

Yes, I bought it just this week from Academic Superstore (an online
source for academic discounts). It never occurred to me that I might be
buying an outdated version. Ironically, I bought Corel Wordperfect
Office X4 at the same time, and that clearly is the newest version.

Simply go to Adobe's site and download version 1.4.1 and install. (All
updates have been free so far, but there will be a charge to update to
v2.0, which is currently in public beta.)

There's also a pretty decent user to user forum you can register for
both v 1 and the beta.

--
John McWilliams
Old June 14th 08, 06:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
MaryL

"John McWilliams" wrote in message
MaryL wrote:

you just bought it and it's version 1.1?? at a minimum, you should
update to 1.4.1, and maybe look at 2.0 beta.

Yes, I bought it just this week from Academic Superstore (an online
source for academic discounts). It never occurred to me that I might be
buying an outdated version. Ironically, I bought Corel Wordperfect
Office X4 at the same time, and that clearly is the newest version.

Simply go to Adobe's site and download version 1.4.1 and install. (All
updates have been free so far, but there will be a charge to update to
v2.0, which is currently in public beta.)

There's also a pretty decent user to user forum you can register for both
v 1 and the beta.

--
John McWilliams

Thanks! I'll do that. I also bought Adobe Photoshop Elements 6, so I have
my (learning) work cut out for me.

MaryL