Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX07 - noise problems

Old January 22nd 07, 10:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
BuzzyBee

Default Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX07 - noise problems

I have read many reviews about the noise problems with the 7.1MP
Panasonic FX07. My husband bought me one yesterday as I've been
wanting to get a P&S for some time, and I'm not sure about it now after
seeing so many unfavourable reviews whether I should take it back and
swap for something else.

Thanks in advance.

Jenny

Old January 22nd 07, 11:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On 22 Jan 2007 14:13:00 -0800, BuzzyBee wrote:

I have read many reviews about the noise problems with the 7.1MP
Panasonic FX07. My husband bought me one yesterday as I've been
wanting to get a P&S for some time, and I'm not sure about it now after
seeing so many unfavourable reviews whether I should take it back and
swap for something else.

It's really only a concern if you think that you'll be taking lots
of pictures in low light conditions. If most of your pictures use
the flash or are daylight pictures, where the ISO can be kept at 200
or less, noise shouldn't be a problem. Reviewers sometimes latch
onto obvious differences, and Panasonics have more noise than most
cameras at high ISOs. But *many* cameras (even DSLRs) allow for the
use of high ISOs that will produce horribly noisy shots. All
cameras have some limitations, and Panasonic's is only a problem if,
as I said, you'll want to take a lot of lot light shots. It that's
the case, you probably wouldn't be happy with any P&S, and should
look for a good, low noise DSLR instead. But even they can produce
noisy shots if you aren't careful.

Why not try using your new camera for a few days in all kinds of
typical lighting conditions, both indoors and outdoors, to see what
*you* think of the camera? Unless you have them printed, it won't
cost you anything. Whatever noise you get might not even be seen in
smaller 4"x6" prints, so while a reviewer might be concerned about
noise appearing in 8"x10", you might not be. Or if you will be
making large prints, you'll just want to make sure that the pictures
selected weren't taking in dim lighting conditions.

Old January 23rd 07, 12:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
if

"BuzzyBee" wrote:

I have read many reviews about the noise problems with the 7.1MP
Panasonic FX07. My husband bought me one yesterday as I've been
wanting to get a P&S for some time, and I'm not sure about it now after
seeing so many unfavourable reviews whether I should take it back and
swap for something else.

Since you've got it now, surely you can make your mind up for yourself?
As noted in my response to your other post, try taking some shots and
printing them out at the size you prefer and see if they're good enough.

It's easy to be hypercritical when peering closely at your computer
monitor, but I find the panasonic FX01 is capable of making a perfectly
sharp A4 print from a well exposed picture. I believe the FX07 has more
heavy handed noise reduction but I would be surprised if it's much worse
than the FX01, where the noise is only really evident when you are looking
for it up close on the computer monitor.
Old January 23rd 07, 01:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Little Juice Coupe

Why don't you try it and decide for yourself instead of listening to people
that have nothing more to do than panic over nothing. I have owned several
Panasonic cameras and have gotten great images from all of them, save the
super crappy FZ50 which has too aggressive noise reduction.

ljc

--
Do not assume that because I didn't reply to your comments that you are
correct or that I am wrong or that I am correct and your are wrong. You

ps.com...

Old January 23rd 07, 01:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Little Juice Coupe

If you want low light never go for a point and shoot. They have too small a
sensor to do any real justice to low light. You need and dSLR with a very
fast lens to do low light any kind of justice.

ljc

Old January 23rd 07, 02:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 17:47:01 -0800, Little Juiced Coupe wrote:

If you want low light never go for a point and shoot. They have too small a
sensor to do any real justice to low light. You need and dSLR with a very
fast lens to do low light any kind of justice.

If I want good advice, I sure won't get it from you. You
obviously didn't bother to read what I wrote. Maybe you just need
to open your eyes a bit more or increase your monitor's brightness.
That will take care of the "seeing" part, but understanding . . .

Old January 23rd 07, 02:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Douglas W Hoyt

I have read many reviews about the noise problems with the 7.1MP
Panasonic FX07.

You should be able to set the ISO at 100, or 200, or 50, so that the camera
never goes into ISO 400 or worse mode. Then, in lowish light, simply take
pictures with the camera held tight against a firm surface (e.g. on a table
or against a wall or column). Your pictures will not have the noise/grain
problem. It helps too to take multiple or consecutive shots, so that you
get multiple bursts with one press. If you keep the ISO set at something
below 400 and take multiple shots at a press with the camera firmly
positioned, you won't get any of the high-ISO noise and you will likely get
one or more pictures that are great. In fact, taking multiples is always a
good idea--if you are photographing people one of several shots is always
best since people constantly shift micro-expressions, besides other things
that can happen in fractions of seconds when you are taking a picture.

Old January 23rd 07, 02:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
BuzzyBee

Thanks for everyone's constructive comments. I wanted a point and
shoot purely to have something light and small to take around with me
on a daily basis. I have Nikon digital and film cameras which I use
for any "proper" photographic and certainly for low light work.

The reason I haven't rushed out to try it myself yet, is purely for the
reason that I can't take the camera back once it has been opened and
used, of course otherwise I would try some test shots myself. I was
just interested to hear feedback from others who have used the camera
and your comments have been useful, thank you.

Jenny

Old January 23rd 07, 04:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Toby

"Little Juice Coupe" wrote in message
If you want low light never go for a point and shoot. They have too small
a sensor to do any real justice to low light. You need and dSLR with a
very fast lens to do low light any kind of justice.

Fuji Finepix F30 or F31fd.

Toby

Old January 23rd 07, 05:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Harbin Osteen

Check out some photos here from the FX07:
http://www.flickr.com/cameras/panasonic/dmc-fx07