Congratulations Roger Clark for "Nature's Best" image

Old November 15th 04, 05:21 PM
Bill Hilton

Default Congratulations Roger Clark for "Nature's Best" image

The fall issue of "Nature's Best" magazine is, in my opinion, the best magazine
of the year for nature photographers since it is dedicated to the winners of
their annual nature photography contest.

This year frequent newsgroup participant Roger Clark has one of the winning
images, an egret landing at the Venice Rookery. So congratulations to Roger.
There were over 15,000 entries (many by some of the best known professional
photographers in the field) and only 142 images were chosen in the various
categories, so this is Very Big Deal. Most pros consider the "BBC Wildlife
Photographer of the Year" and the "Nature's Best" contest the two top annual
competitions in this field.

If you see the magazine in a book store Roger's shot is full-frame on pg 21.

Bill
Old November 16th 04, 01:10 AM
Al Denelsbeck

dy (Bill Hilton) wrote in
:

The fall issue of "Nature's Best" magazine is, in my opinion, the best
magazine of the year for nature photographers since it is dedicated to
the winners of their annual nature photography contest.

This year frequent newsgroup participant Roger Clark has one of the
winning images, an egret landing at the Venice Rookery. So
congratulations to Roger. There were over 15,000 entries (many by some
of the best known professional photographers in the field) and only
142 images were chosen in the various categories, so this is Very Big
Deal. Most pros consider the "BBC Wildlife Photographer of the Year"
and the "Nature's Best" contest the two top annual competitions in
this field.

If you see the magazine in a book store Roger's shot is full-frame on
pg 21.

Bill

Sight unseen, I have to offer sincere and enthusiastic
congratulations to Roger! This is because I know what kind of standards
Nature's Best has.

If you're looking for excellent pics, or a significant challenge to
aspire to with your own photography, there's no better guideline. If you're
just starting out or thinking about nature photography seriously, avoid the
magazine like the plague, because it will crush your spirit and convince
you that you can never measure up ;-)

I'm envious, Roger, you scum... ;-)

- Al.

--
To reply, insert dash in address to match domain below
Online photo gallery at

Old November 16th 04, 05:30 AM

Bill Hilton wrote:

The fall issue of "Nature's Best" magazine is, in my opinion, the best magazine
of the year for nature photographers since it is dedicated to the winners of
their annual nature photography contest.

This year frequent newsgroup participant Roger Clark has one of the winning
images, an egret landing at the Venice Rookery. So congratulations to Roger.
There were over 15,000 entries (many by some of the best known professional
photographers in the field) and only 142 images were chosen in the various
categories, so this is Very Big Deal. Most pros consider the "BBC Wildlife
Photographer of the Year" and the "Nature's Best" contest the two top annual
competitions in this field.

If you see the magazine in a book store Roger's shot is full-frame on pg 21.

Bill

Thanks, Bill. I'm honored to make the cut, and I'm sure
there were many other spectacular images, so I feel lucky too
have made through what must be very difficult decisions.

One minor correction: the bird was taking off,
flying right at the camera. I've put a link to it
on my home page at: http://www.clarkvision.com

Also, the image was done in "single shot" mode as I found the
D60 (and 10D) cameras couldn't track the speed of these birds
in AI mode. The 1D Mark II does much better at tracking
fast subjects, but only after the AI tracking is set to
its fastest (not the camera default). I can't wait to get
back to the rookery this winter, to try again with the
1DII. I hope the rookery survived the hurricanes ok.

Roger

Old November 19th 04, 04:11 PM
Liz

In message
wrote:

Congratulations on both the award & the lovely shot, Roger!

Me2!
Excellent shot!

Liz

--