Glass quality and f stop question.

Old September 5th 09, 03:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

Default Glass quality and f stop question.

I often see lenses that have "special glass" elements, and some that don't. They
claim better transparency.

My question is, if you set up a certain shot with certain parameters, and then
switch to a better lens, would you have to change the f stop or speed or
something to match the better glass?

I'm just wondering about things like "rule of sun on grass" - would that be
wrong with a better lens?

It just seems odd to me that two, 50mm lenses, set at f8 for example, would give
different amounts of light. Is this considered when the manufacturer makes the
lens? Do they compensate somehow?

Curious !

Old September 5th 09, 03:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Me

wrote:
I often see lenses that have "special glass" elements, and some that don't. They
claim better transparency.

My question is, if you set up a certain shot with certain parameters, and then
switch to a better lens, would you have to change the f stop or speed or
something to match the better glass?

I'm just wondering about things like "rule of sun on grass" - would that be
wrong with a better lens?

It just seems odd to me that two, 50mm lenses, set at f8 for example, would give
different amounts of light. Is this considered when the manufacturer makes the
lens? Do they compensate somehow?

Curious !

Perhaps you mean these types of glass:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SLD_glass
called different things by different makers, "ED" glass by Nikon etc.
It's about refractive index and properties not necessarily related to
"quantity" of light transmission, but reducing aberrations.
Lenses should give more or less the same exposure at the same f-stop
setting, but subject to some variability, misalignment of stop-down
mechanisms or aperture blades, uneven light across the frame
(vignetting), and rounding-off of maximum aperture (a nominal f2.8 100mm
lens may not be exactly f2.8 at widest setting, nor exactly 100mm).
Old September 5th 09, 03:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Floyd L. Davidson

wrote:
I often see lenses that have "special glass" elements, and some that don't. They
claim better transparency.

The "special glass" is not for transparency, but to help
control various focusing distortions for different
wavelength of light.

But yes different kinds of glass have different light
transmission characteristics. Likewise the number of
elements (chiefly the number of air to glass
transitions) affects light transmission, and so do the
coatings of some elements. The overall effect of one or
two elements made from "special glass" might be small;
but the overall differences from all effects might well
be significant!

My question is, if you set up a certain shot with certain parameters, and then
switch to a better lens, would you have to change the f stop or speed or
something to match the better glass?

For still photography that is rarely significant, if for
no other reason than the common use of through the lens
metering systems. But for cinematography it can be very
important. Because of that is not uncommon for their
lenses to be calibrated in "T-Stops". F-Stops are the
physical parameter, and T-Stops are the actual light
transmission characteristics.

I'm just wondering about things like "rule of sun on grass" - would that be
wrong with a better lens?

It just seems odd to me that two, 50mm lenses, set at f8 for example, would give
different amounts of light. Is this considered when the manufacturer makes the
lens? Do they compensate somehow?

Curious !

I'm sure the designers give it "consideration"... but
not much! If there is, say, 1/2 an f-stop difference in
actual light transmission, what difference would that
actually make to you personally?

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

Old September 5th 09, 04:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jürgen Exner

wrote:
I often see lenses that have "special glass" elements, and some that don't. They
claim better transparency.

Well, not so much "better transparency" as rather a different refractive
index which allows, when used in the right combination with ordinary
glass, to significantly reduce chromatic abberation.

My question is, if you set up a certain shot with certain parameters, and then
switch to a better lens, would you have to change the f stop or speed or
something to match the better glass?

In theory maybe yes, but in real life no. The differences are just too
small to make any impact. If you reduce the light loss from let's say 5%
per element to 3% per element (which is a lot), then with e.g. 10
elements (which is a lot) the total light passing is about 60% versus
74%. That's less than 1/4 f-stop difference.

I'm just wondering about things like "rule of sun on grass" - would that be
wrong with a better lens?

It just seems odd to me that two, 50mm lenses, set at f8 for example, would give
different amounts of light. Is this considered when the manufacturer makes the
lens? Do they compensate somehow?

The difference is just not significant enough to make a big deal out of
it.

jue
Old September 5th 09, 01:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
jaf

wrote in message ...

I often see lenses that have "special glass" elements, and some that don't. They
claim better transparency.

My question is, if you set up a certain shot with certain parameters, and then
switch to a better lens, would you have to change the f stop or speed or
something to match the better glass?

I'm just wondering about things like "rule of sun on grass" - would that be
wrong with a better lens?

It just seems odd to me that two, 50mm lenses, set at f8 for example, would give
different amounts of light. Is this considered when the manufacturer makes the
lens? Do they compensate somehow?

Curious !

Two 50mm lenses set at f8 are two 50mm lenses set at f8.
Same focal length.
Same aperture.
Same amount of light.

John
Old September 5th 09, 03:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

wrote:
I often see lenses that have "special glass" elements, and some that don't. They
claim better transparency.

My question is, if you set up a certain shot with certain parameters, and then
switch to a better lens, would you have to change the f stop or speed or
something to match the better glass?

I'm just wondering about things like "rule of sun on grass" - would that be
wrong with a better lens?

It just seems odd to me that two, 50mm lenses, set at f8 for example, would give
different amounts of light. Is this considered when the manufacturer makes the
lens? Do they compensate somehow?

The variance is less than 1/3 of a stop. With good photometry you would
measure a difference. The variance in in-camera meters is of the same
magnitude (between models or manufacturers) so you're well in the
tolerance basket.

More importantly though, is that unless you're shooting some specific
target in controlled lighting, and instead using your camera for actual
photography, then the variance on exposure is even greater due to your
metering mode, the camera implementation of that mode and technique.

There are a few idiots around who believe "high speed glass" refers to
the glass transparency rather than the whole lens system, usually of
course wide and constant (with zoom) aperture. eg: a 70-200 f/2.8 is
"high speed glass" but not because of the composition of the lens elements.
Old September 5th 09, 03:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_11_]

"jaf" wrote in message
[]
Two 50mm lenses set at f8 are two 50mm lenses set at f8.
Same focal length.
Same aperture.
Same amount of light.

John

Not so. f/8 is a mechanical measurement relating to aperture and focal
length. It actually says nothing about the actual amount of light, simply
the /maximum/ light possible. The less than 100% transmission of the
glass will reduce the actual amount of light (albeit, perhaps only by a
small amount).

Two lenses with the same T-stop would pass the same amount of light. See:
http://photonotes.org/cgi-bin/photo-entry.pl?id=Tstop

Also: consider a standard and a mirror lens both at f/8. The mirror lens
typically has a central obstruction which reduces the light....

Cheers,
David