Considering a Benbo or Uniloc tripod

Old September 5th 04, 11:19 PM
Ray Creveling

Default Considering a Benbo or Uniloc tripod

Do Uniloc tripods still exist. From what I've read in old posts they seem
like a big improvement over the Benbo's but, I am unable to find them on the
web. While I'm asking. Can anyone give me opinions on using a benbo. How are
the trekkers? or should I stick with a Model 1&2's
--
Ray Creveling
http://www.blackcatblog.com

---

Old September 6th 04, 09:46 AM
Ben Micklem

in article , Ray Creveling at
wrote on 5/9/04 11:19 pm:

Do Uniloc tripods still exist. From what I've read in old posts they seem
like a big improvement over the Benbo's but, I am unable to find them on the
web. While I'm asking. Can anyone give me opinions on using a benbo. How are
the trekkers? or should I stick with a Model 1&2's

I have a Uniloc Major System 1220. It is very short, and extremely heavy for
its height. But it is very, very stable. I don't carry it very far in the
field. It is good if you already have a tall tripod, and/or a light tripod.
It is not very good as one's only tripod (from my experience of not being
able to carry it when I really needed a tripod, but couldn't carry the
weight).

Here in the UK, Jessops- a large retailer, has all the uniloc products
available, but with a 4-6 weeks wait. I'm not sure they are still in
production. As far as I know, the Benbos and Unilocs used to be made in the
UK. Benbo has now outsourced production to the far east (I think).

About a year or so ago, the Benbos were updated (the Trekker 2 was released,
and new ball heads). I think a few of the improvements may have moved up to
the Models 1 and 2s.

If you have a light camera/lens and will be using it while walking a fair
distance, the Trekker is good (I have used one for a while). If you don't
intend to do a lot of macro work, a normal tripod, or one with a central
column that can be moved to the horizontal (e.g. Some models of Manfrotto,
Gitzo, Giottos, etc) may be a better idea, especially if this will be your
only tripod. I didn't think the Trekker was stable enough for my
lenses/cameras- especially the head that used to come with the Trekker
(mk1).

Ben

Old September 6th 04, 10:41 AM
Roger Whitehead

In article , Ben Micklem wrote:
I didn't think the Trekker was stable enough for my
lenses/cameras- especially the head that used to come with the Trekker

That was my experience, too. It couldn't cope with all the macro gear I was
using at the time, so I reverted to the full-sized Benbo.

I also got my wife to sew extra shoulder padding inside my photo waistcoat.
Didn't lighten the load but saved a lot of soreness.

Roger

Old September 6th 04, 12:47 PM
Ray Creveling

Thanks guys. I was able to get a Model #2 off of ebay for about a $100 US
even with shipping from the UK it's a lot lower the $199.00 from B&H. I'm
glad I decided not to by the Trekker on cost.

Speaking of Trekkers... Do you know if a standard Benbo #1 or 2 will fit in
a LowePro MiniTrekker's Tripod loop

--
Ray Creveling
http://www.blackcatblog.com