Adobe being punished for predatory marketing tactics

Old September 30th 10, 11:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default Adobe being punished for predatory marketing tactics

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 13:10:49 -0500, Doug McDonald
wrote:

On 9/25/2010 11:55 AM, wrote:

So, Rich.... what Adobe products do you own legally and use daily?

Personally I own Photoshop CS4 and have had every version since it's
initial release. I also use Illustrator, LightRoom although I don't
have the mose recent versions but I use each several times a week.
I have used Adobe products on both Mac and PC platforms and have met
several Adobe developers and designers and attended countless Adobe
presentations. On top of that, I have had direct dealings with Adobe
customer support AND tech support many times over the decades and
never ONCE had a bad experience. TO INCLUDE the time I asked if there
was anything they could do to replace a stolen Photoshop CD which they
did without question, comment and even sent it to me free of shipping
charges!

Never once did they EVER force me to upgrade.

But did you every buy a new camera and find that Photoshop could not
open the raw files?

This has happened numerous times.

Doug McDonald

Ya. There is that. I have found though that PS has done a fair job of
keeping up with the different standards. The problem here is that so
many manufacturers want exclusivity in their product OR that they go
cheap and don't want to pay for the license to use a more standard RAW
format. In these cases I think it's MORE the camera manufacturers
being less than forthcoming in the RAW format that they use and
letting the buyer know.

That's why I love the internet so. You can usually find out that
information fairly quickly.

Old September 30th 10, 11:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 14:43:44 -0700, Savageduck

On 2010-09-25 11:10:49 -0700, Doug McDonald said:

On 9/25/2010 11:55 AM, wrote:

[...]

I can only speak of my experience;
When I was using CS2 and I bought my D300. Adobe had moved on to CS4 by
then and I could not update the version of ACR built for CS2. However I
got by by converting the NEF's to DNG via LR2.
About a year later I upgraded to CS4, and I have since upgraded to CS5,
because of what both of those versions offered.
I am not a fan of the Nikon software.

I was an early G11 buyer and ACR had yet to catch up, so I converted
the CR2 files to DNG. Within 3 weeks there was an ACR update which
brought the G11-CR2 files into the fold.
I tried the Canon DPP software for my G11 CR2 shots, but I was not
happy using it.

Much the same story with my original Rebel. I was not a real fan of
the Canon software and I will admit it did take Adobe about a year to
become more 'accomadating'. It was a tough year.
Old September 30th 10, 12:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 18:58:28 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

On 10-09-25 14:10 , Doug McDonald wrote:
On 9/25/2010 11:55 AM, wrote:

[...]

For recent versions there are always raw updates coming out and
otherwise DNG converter will save the day.

Yep.

In short I have been following the print (paper and uneven substrait
print) long before the digital revolution. I actually go back to the
melted zinc.lead typesetter machines! When you look at the rapid
switchover from that to the digital technology I think Adobe has done
an admirable job in driving the advancement of the technology forward.

You gotta remember. Photoshop has covered a TREMENDOUS range of
applications from print pre-press, screenprinting, web development,
photography....... just in those areas the number of products and
machines the program has to support is unbelievable. I know, I have
worked in most of those areas over the years and it's staggering.

I think the only reason we have the level of standardization that we
DO have across the spectrum of needs today is because of Adobe and
Photoshop! And we ain't even CLOSE to universal standardization.