Some different Nikon News

Old February 26th 12, 08:38 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete A

Default Some different Nikon News

On 2012-02-26 20:02:52 +0000, PeterN said:

On 2/25/2012 4:27 PM, nick c wrote:

SNIO

When I first saw the strap attaches to the camera body by the tripod
socket, and the possibility of both cameras somewhat freely dangling at
my side, that bothered me. When using a tripod, at a point during a
tripod/camera setup, the camera would be unsecured from me. Although my
long lens has a tripod collar I don't often use that lens. The lens I
most often use is the 17-35mm f2.8.

Although I don't post pictures anymore, I did a search and found
pbase.com still shows some examples of my old photo's. The site shows
old shots taken when I was primarily using Canon equipment. I've long
since sold all my Canon gear and have gone Nikon. These pictures will
show you the type of photo's I'm generally interested in taking.

When I saw these posted photo's I was taken-back by the seemingly loss
of color tone that has occurred since they were posted. When compared
with my duplicate stock photo's, my stock photo's appear to be more
color enhanced and sharper than what may be seen in the posted pictures.
My guess is the posted pictures /may/ have been severely compressed. I
have long since ceased maintaining the site.

http://www.pbase.com/nchen711

Looks like you enjoy photography. Y Our images are nice recordings of
places you've been. Image # 3 at the Marina reminds me of a setting in
a Clint Eastwood movie. Don't remember which one.

I doubt that digital images would fade the way you describe. Could yo
have gotten a brighter monitor?

Just a thought: I downloaded one of Nick's images and noticed it has no
ICC profile. If the originals were sRGB images then there should be no
colour difference in any web browser other than Safari, which for some
idiotic reason assigns the Monitor Profile to untagged images rather
than sRGB. If the originals weren't sRGB images then problem solved.

Old February 26th 12, 08:47 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 2/25/2012 5:07 PM, tony cooper wrote:
On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 10:35:36 +1300, Eric Stevens
wrote:

On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 08:08:13 -0800, Savageduck

On 2012-02-25 07:17:53 -0800, Alan Browne

On 2012-02-24 22:12 , Savageduck wrote:

Another option for the active outdoor photographer is the Cotton Carrier
system. I have not used it myself, but I know some who use it and find
it indispensable for their purposes.
http://www.cottoncarrier.com/

Looks a bit overdone to me - esp. the 'vest' version.

Agreed. It is not for me, it clashes with my sense of fashion, but
there are those who swear by it.

...and you still have the issue of the tripod socket in use by the
carrying system. I understand that a few the active rock climbing
photographers have adopted it, not much need for a tripod for some of
those folks up on El Cap.

See
http://www.soygik.com/wp-content/upl...04c6e4c668.jpg

Regards,

I've always been fairly adventurous, but there are two things I would
never consider doing: rock face climbing and cave diving. Heights
don't bother me, but being suspended would. I scuba dive, but I want
to see the way out.

One former, and younger dive buddy of mine gave up his business in NY
and opened a dive shop in Bonaire. We had lost touch, but several years
ago he was leading a cave diving expedition on a PBS special.

--
Peter
Old February 26th 12, 10:45 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 20:35:58 -0500, PeterN
wrote:
: If you or I decide to open a retail camera store we would be able to
: sell most consumer grade Nikons, but would not be authorized to sell
: the professional line.

Comical, actually, since most of us would be more knowledgeable about the
professional line than about the consumer grade cameras. What's the reasoning
behind that policy?

Bob
Old February 26th 12, 11:02 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
PeterN

wrote:
: If you or I decide to open a retail camera store we would be able to
: sell most consumer grade Nikons, but would not be authorized to sell
: the professional line.

Comical, actually, since most of us would be more knowledgeable about the
professional line than about the consumer grade cameras. What's the reasoning
behind that policy?

Bob

I can't give you a logical and informed answer. My guess is that Nikon
wants to support its existing retailing network. Of course, I could
purchase an existing store.

--
Peter
Old February 27th 12, 01:05 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

On 2012-02-25 07:17:53 -0800, Alan Browne

On 2012-02-24 22:12 , Savageduck wrote:

[...]

If you're suspended on a long enough rope there are always two visible
ways out -- abseiling down the rope, or climbing up it (using
ascenders of your preferred kind which of course you always carry when
being suspended).

--
Chris Malcolm
Old February 27th 12, 03:38 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
nick c[_5_]

PeterN wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I do. Being somewhat of a history buff, I look upon a camera as
being a tool that records events as a passing part of history. Ghost
Towns and other windows of history will physically disappear but
pictures of the past last as long as they can be viewed.

But I don't do weddings, parties, or portraits.

Y Our images are nice recordings of
places you've been. Image # 3 at the Marina reminds me of a setting in a
Clint Eastwood movie. Don't remember which one.

I doubt that digital images would fade the way you describe. Could yo
have gotten a brighter monitor?

Getting back to the camera rig, I will see if my local camera store has
such a type rig in stock.

Old February 27th 12, 03:55 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nick c[_5_]

Pete A wrote:
On 2012-02-26 20:02:52 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

Posted pictures were taken with different cameras. I think there's a mix
of Canon's D30 and 1D, and a mix of Nikon's D100 and F4 (or 5). One set
of pictures was scanned from transparencies. /Generally/ I discard sRGB
and use Adobe or Nikon RGB.

I'm happy you found one you liked.
Old February 27th 12, 09:09 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete A

Pete A wrote:
On 2012-02-26 20:02:52 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

Nikon RGB will work correctly. Uploading Adobe RGB images will give a
faded appearance: the saturation will be lower and the shadow areas
will be lighter.

I'm happy you found one you liked.

I liked too many to list, thanks for sharing them.

Old February 27th 12, 03:39 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

Savageduck writes:

I also recommend the Black Rapid Strap. Use one and you will wonder
where the pain from hanging a DSLR around your neck went. I use the
RS-4 carrying one D300s. The only hassle is having to undo the
fastener from the tripod socket for tripod use. I usually just carry a
QR plate in my pocket and switch if I need to use a tripod.

The camera hangs upside down, but can be brought into play very
quickly from that position.
http://www.blackrapid.com/product/camera-strap/rs-7/

I just this weekend received a Lens Loop strap
http://www.lensloop.com/ which seems quite similar to the Black Rapid
Strap. Its connector will screw into the tripod threaded hole in my RRS
L-bracket, so I don't even have to take off the quick-release to use
it.

On a very quick test, the camera hangs nicely at my side (I was using it
across the opposite shoulder, rather than just on the one side) where I
can keep my hand on it and bring it up to shooting position very quickly
and easily. With the 24-70/2.8 lens it's a little lens-heavy; attached
to the tripod foot of a 70-200/2.8 it balances very nicely.

We'll see if I find it the love of my life with some serious use :-) .
--
David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
Old February 27th 12, 04:17 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-02-27 07:39:04 -0800, David Dyer-Bennet said:

Savageduck writes:

[...]

Yup!
It is a similar idea, slightly different execution. It seems the strap
is unpadded web which might cause a bit of discomfort over the long
haul. The Black Rapid has a padded cushion to the "shoulder" section of
the strap.
Being right handed I wear mine slung to the right, where I find it
comfortable, and I am also able to bring the camera into action easily
& quickly from that side.
With fat lenses, it is always best to attach to the tripod foot.

Savageduck

Nikon non-news Me Digital SLR Cameras 14 July 10th 10 07:59 AM
NoComment News collects photos of actual news - call for pictures N 35mm Photo Equipment 0 July 6th 07 11:33 AM
NoComment News collects photos of actual news - no comment or media censorship N Digital Photography 0 July 5th 07 09:19 PM