Some different Nikon News

Old February 25th 12, 06:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
me[_5_]

Default Some different Nikon News

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 19:12:30 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

I also recommend the Black Rapid Strap. Use one and you will wonder
where the pain from hanging a DSLR around your neck went. I use the
RS-4 carrying one D300s. The only hassle is having to undo the fastener
from the tripod socket for tripod use. I usually just carry a QR plate
in my pocket and switch if I need to use a tripod.

The camera hangs upside down, but can be brought into play very quickly
from that position.
http://www.blackrapid.com/product/camera-strap/rs-7/

FWIW, I've been trying one for 14 months now and am not totally
pleased with it. I'm using it with a D200/D300 and the 18-200mm and
70-200 f/2.8 lenses. In both cases I find the camera and lens bounces
and swings around too much. The 18-200mm is the worse of the two as I
find the lens bounces against my body and it unlatches the catch which
keeps the lens from extending as I walk. I agree that it's great for
the quickness it allows to bring the camera into shooting position.
Previously I've used the Nikon straps or two different LowePro straps
set to their utmost length and carried the cameras cross body ala the
Black Rapid strap but with the camera body turned into my body. This
provided a more secure posture of the camera from walking/hiking at
the expense of ease of bringing up to shooting position.

For the 200-400mm f/4 I'm still using the Nikon strap attached to the
lens. I walked almost three hours this morning with that mounted on
the D300 over one shoulder while the D200/18-200 on the RS-7 was over
the other. I needed a fair dose of ibuprofen when I got back home.
Old February 25th 12, 06:49 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 2/24/2012 9:47 PM, nick c wrote:
PeterN wrote:
On 2/23/2012 7:19 PM, nick c wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
Snip

I've never carried more than 2 and even that's a PITA.

It's been my habit, when shooting difficult areas such as in Ghost
Towns, abandoned buildings, or harbor scenes, etc... I generally carry
two Nikon cameras. To limit my equipment, a 17-35 f2.8 lens goes on the
D700 and a 24-120 f4 lens goes on the D300. A belly-pack is used to
carry favored 77mm filters and a flash with an accessory extension
cable.

Yes, it has been a PITA at times, in fact more times than not because
they are heavy, but when culling my shots the inconvenience once felt
seems to fade way. If I were a lot younger, I probably would carry my
bag.

I know the feeling. I carry two Nikons using a Black Rapid R strap.
It's seems easier to carry two with that strap, than just one.

I didn't know (by brand name) what a Black Rapid R strap looked like so
I look it up and found the following. Look at the last picture of the
girl with two cameras. Does that rig look like the rig you use? My
cameras have battery packs and quick release plates attached to the
bottom of the battery packs. I've never run out of power and I often use
one of two lightweight tripods. I've found readily affixed quick release
plates to be a speedy tripod setup advantage.

It looks like the illustration shows the cameras are being carried
upside down. I guess I have to see one of those rigs to see if I would
be comfortable using such a strap and still keep my camera setups.

Thanks for telling me what you use.

http://www.ppmag.com/web-exclusives/...d-r-strap.html

What I have been using are two cameras slung around the neck and
shoulder (like bandoleers) with each camera draped at my sides. I tie a
separate chord around the midriff keeping each camera in place at each
side until they are being used. It may not look good but it seems to
work fairly well. If I were to complain about anything it would surely
be weight.

Again, thanks for the insight.

The R strap attaches to the tripod socket. With telephotos this is not
an issue as I mount camera on the tripod using the collar on the lens.
With the W/A I have to unscrew it. That is a bit of a pain, but a
reasonable compromise.

--
Peter
Old February 25th 12, 07:20 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2012-02-25 07:17:53 -0800, Alan Browne

On 2012-02-24 22:12 , Savageduck wrote:

Another option for the active outdoor photographer is the Cotton Carrier
system. I have not used it myself, but I know some who use it and find
it indispensable for their purposes.
http://www.cottoncarrier.com/

Looks a bit overdone to me - esp. the 'vest' version.

Agreed. It is not for me, it clashes with my sense of fashion,

Didn't you say you despised fashion? Or was that just haute couture?

but there
are those who swear by it.

...and you still have the issue of the tripod socket in use by the
carrying system. I understand that a few the active rock climbing
photographers have adopted it, not much need for a tripod for some of
those folks up on El Cap.

Rock climbers have a number of interesting equipment tradeoffs to make.

I said I didn't know."
-Samuel Clemens.
Old February 25th 12, 09:27 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
nick c[_5_]

Alan Browne wrote:
[...]

When I first saw the strap attaches to the camera body by the tripod
socket, and the possibility of both cameras somewhat freely dangling at
my side, that bothered me. When using a tripod, at a point during a
tripod/camera setup, the camera would be unsecured from me. Although my
long lens has a tripod collar I don't often use that lens. The lens I
most often use is the 17-35mm f2.8.

Although I don't post pictures anymore, I did a search and found
pbase.com still shows some examples of my old photo's. The site shows
old shots taken when I was primarily using Canon equipment. I've long
since sold all my Canon gear and have gone Nikon. These pictures will
show you the type of photo's I'm generally interested in taking.

When I saw these posted photo's I was taken-back by the seemingly loss
of color tone that has occurred since they were posted. When compared
with my duplicate stock photo's, my stock photo's appear to be more
color enhanced and sharper than what may be seen in the posted pictures.
My guess is the posted pictures /may/ have been severely compressed. I
have long since ceased maintaining the site.

http://www.pbase.com/nchen711

Getting back to the camera rig, I will see if my local camera store has
such a type rig in stock.

Old February 25th 12, 09:35 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 08:08:13 -0800, Savageduck

On 2012-02-25 07:17:53 -0800, Alan Browne

On 2012-02-24 22:12 , Savageduck wrote:

Another option for the active outdoor photographer is the Cotton Carrier
system. I have not used it myself, but I know some who use it and find
it indispensable for their purposes.
http://www.cottoncarrier.com/

Looks a bit overdone to me - esp. the 'vest' version.

Agreed. It is not for me, it clashes with my sense of fashion, but
there are those who swear by it.

...and you still have the issue of the tripod socket in use by the
carrying system. I understand that a few the active rock climbing
photographers have adopted it, not much need for a tripod for some of
those folks up on El Cap.

See
http://www.soygik.com/wp-content/upl...04c6e4c668.jpg

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Old February 25th 12, 09:49 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 10:15:00 -0500, Alan Browne

On 2012-02-24 21:47 , nick c wrote:

I didn't know (by brand name) what a Black Rapid R strap looked like so
I look it up and found the following. Look at the last picture of the
girl with two cameras. Does that rig look like the rig you use? My
cameras have battery packs and quick release plates attached to the
bottom of the battery packs. I've never run out of power and I often use
one of two lightweight tripods. I've found readily affixed quick release
plates to be a speedy tripod setup advantage.

It looks like the illustration shows the cameras are being carried
upside down. I guess I have to see one of those rigs to see if I would
be comfortable using such a strap and still keep my camera setups.

Definitely a system to try before buy. And I mean try for a full day if
possible.

The main thing I dislike about the rapid system (as shown) is that it
would slow down plopping a camera onto a tripod using a quick plate.
You'd have to unscrew the "knob-loop" from the bottom of the QR plate
(and not all QR plates have tapped 1/4 or 3/8" holes - mine do).

The Manfrotto adaptor plate I use on my D300 has a swinging loop built
into the screw which attaches the plate to the camera. See
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31088803/IMG_1504.JPG
I'm not sure how much I would trust it support the weight of the
camera but it's probably OK.

I've often seen them used by others, but never thought it would be of
much use to my shooting. I'm usually burdened with a bag and tripod too.

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Old February 25th 12, 09:53 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2012-02-25 16:35 , Eric Stevens wrote:

See
http://www.soygik.com/wp-content/upl...04c6e4c668.jpg

Doncha despise snapshooters....

I said I didn't know."
-Samuel Clemens.
Old February 25th 12, 10:09 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2012-02-24 21:47 , nick c wrote:

[...]

The smaller Manfrotto rectangular plates (like that one) have that ring
to allow finger tightening/loosening of the plate. I don't think I'd
trust my camera to it - it's just snapped in there. (I have several of
these plates lying around).

My QR plate (Manfrotto 410 geared head plate) does not have a ring - you
need a coin or screwdriver to tight/loosen it.

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/62816810/1/P?h=8aceac

left image.

I said I didn't know."
-Samuel Clemens.
Old February 25th 12, 10:22 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2012-02-25 07:17:53 -0800, Alan Browne

On 2012-02-24 22:12 , Savageduck wrote:

Another option for the active outdoor photographer is the Cotton Carrier
system. I have not used it myself, but I know some who use it and find
it indispensable for their purposes.
http://www.cottoncarrier.com/

Looks a bit overdone to me - esp. the 'vest' version.

Agreed. It is not for me, it clashes with my sense of fashion, but
there are those who swear by it.

...and you still have the issue of the tripod socket in use by the
carrying system. I understand that a few the active rock climbing
photographers have adopted it, not much need for a tripod for some of
those folks up on El Cap.

See
http://www.soygik.com/wp-content/upl...04c6e4c668.jpg

Regards,

I've always been fairly adventurous, but there are two things I would
never consider doing: rock face climbing and cave diving. Heights
don't bother me, but being suspended would. I scuba dive, but I want
to see the way out.

I'd like to take the cave course, but I doubt I'd be one to pursue many
caves afterwards. I've read it's the most lethal sport out there.

Did you see: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/earth/e...ve-diving.html ?

Death wish.

I said I didn't know."
-Samuel Clemens.
Old February 26th 12, 08:02 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 2/25/2012 4:27 PM, nick c wrote:

SNIO

[...]

Looks like you enjoy photography. Y Our images are nice recordings of
places you've been. Image # 3 at the Marina reminds me of a setting in a
Clint Eastwood movie. Don't remember which one.

I doubt that digital images would fade the way you describe. Could yo
have gotten a brighter monitor?

Nikon non-news Me Digital SLR Cameras 14 July 10th 10 07:59 AM
NoComment News collects photos of actual news - call for pictures N 35mm Photo Equipment 0 July 6th 07 11:33 AM
NoComment News collects photos of actual news - no comment or media censorship N Digital Photography 0 July 5th 07 09:19 PM