Some different Nikon News

Old February 20th 12, 04:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

Default Some different Nikon News

On 2012-02-18 10:46 , me wrote:
On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 10:02:22 -0500, Alan Browne
wrote:

I've never carried more than 2 and even that's a PITA. Was really a
PITA on film as the "story line" would be broken across different rolls
of film. Even with digital the sequencing is not linear v. the events.

Quite easy to sort/rename etc files via date/timestamp. I don't see
how this is a real issue. And yes I do use multiple cameras.

Where did I say that couldn't be done?

What can't be done (conveniently) is frame numbering per the order of
the events. (In Bridge IAC).

Yes, that's a problem with all the automatic import systems. That's why
I never use any of them (that and I'm afraid of them; too many people
report losing files that way, I've never lost a file once it got onto
the card okay).
--
David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
Old February 24th 12, 12:19 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
nick c[_5_]

Alan Browne wrote:
Snip

I've never carried more than 2 and even that's a PITA.

It's been my habit, when shooting difficult areas such as in Ghost
Towns, abandoned buildings, or harbor scenes, etc... I generally carry
two Nikon cameras. To limit my equipment, a 17-35 f2.8 lens goes on the
D700 and a 24-120 f4 lens goes on the D300. A belly-pack is used to
carry favored 77mm filters and a flash with an accessory extension cable.

Yes, it has been a PITA at times, in fact more times than not because
they are heavy, but when culling my shots the inconvenience once felt
seems to fade way. If I were a lot younger, I probably would carry my bag.

Old February 24th 12, 01:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

wrote:

I've never carried more than 2 and even that's a PITA. Was really a
PITA on film as the "story line" would be broken across different rolls
of film. Even with digital the sequencing is not linear v. the events.

Quite easy to sort/rename etc files via date/timestamp. I don't see
how this is a real issue. And yes I do use multiple cameras.

Where did I say that couldn't be done?

What can't be done (conveniently) is frame numbering per the order of
the events. (In Bridge IAC).

Yes, that's a problem with all the automatic import systems. That's why
I never use any of them (that and I'm afraid of them; too many people
report losing files that way, I've never lost a file once it got onto
the card okay).

Never lost an image importing via Bridge to my PC or Mac. And it's easy
to check the count in any case.

I said I didn't know."
-Samuel Clemens.
Old February 24th 12, 01:17 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2012-02-18 13:59 , Robert Coe wrote:
On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 10:02:22 -0500, Alan Browne
wrote:
: I've never carried more than 2 [cameras] and even that's a PITA.
: Was really a PITA on film as the "story line" would be broken
: across different rolls of film. Even with digital the sequencing
: is not linear v. the events.

The current version of Canon's "EOS Utility" lets you synchronize a camera's
time with that of your computer. So before a shoot you can set all the cameras
you might use to the exact same time. Then when you sort all the pictures by
shooting time and then rename, the sequencing will be correct. Don't know
whether all the manufacturers' SW allows that, but they usually follow each
other pretty closely in such matters.

As I think about, I seem to recall merging two sets of photos in
date/time order into a single re-named set. Just don't recall if I did
that in Bridge or PS.

I said I didn't know."
-Samuel Clemens.
Old February 25th 12, 01:37 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 2/23/2012 7:19 PM, nick c wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
Snip

I've never carried more than 2 and even that's a PITA.

It's been my habit, when shooting difficult areas such as in Ghost
Towns, abandoned buildings, or harbor scenes, etc... I generally carry
two Nikon cameras. To limit my equipment, a 17-35 f2.8 lens goes on the
D700 and a 24-120 f4 lens goes on the D300. A belly-pack is used to
carry favored 77mm filters and a flash with an accessory extension cable.

Yes, it has been a PITA at times, in fact more times than not because
they are heavy, but when culling my shots the inconvenience once felt
seems to fade way. If I were a lot younger, I probably would carry my bag.

I know the feeling. I carry two Nikons using a Black Rapid R strap. It's
seems easier to carry two with that strap, than just one.

--
Peter
Old February 25th 12, 02:47 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
nick c[_5_]

PeterN wrote:
On 2/23/2012 7:19 PM, nick c wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
Snip

I've never carried more than 2 and even that's a PITA.

It's been my habit, when shooting difficult areas such as in Ghost
Towns, abandoned buildings, or harbor scenes, etc... I generally carry
two Nikon cameras. To limit my equipment, a 17-35 f2.8 lens goes on the
D700 and a 24-120 f4 lens goes on the D300. A belly-pack is used to
carry favored 77mm filters and a flash with an accessory extension cable.

Yes, it has been a PITA at times, in fact more times than not because
they are heavy, but when culling my shots the inconvenience once felt
seems to fade way. If I were a lot younger, I probably would carry my
bag.

I know the feeling. I carry two Nikons using a Black Rapid R strap. It's
seems easier to carry two with that strap, than just one.

I didn't know (by brand name) what a Black Rapid R strap looked like so
I look it up and found the following. Look at the last picture of the
girl with two cameras. Does that rig look like the rig you use? My
cameras have battery packs and quick release plates attached to the
bottom of the battery packs. I've never run out of power and I often use
one of two lightweight tripods. I've found readily affixed quick release
plates to be a speedy tripod setup advantage.

It looks like the illustration shows the cameras are being carried
upside down. I guess I have to see one of those rigs to see if I would
be comfortable using such a strap and still keep my camera setups.

Thanks for telling me what you use.

http://www.ppmag.com/web-exclusives/...d-r-strap.html

What I have been using are two cameras slung around the neck and
shoulder (like bandoleers) with each camera draped at my sides. I tie a
separate chord around the midriff keeping each camera in place at each
side until they are being used. It may not look good but it seems to
work fairly well. If I were to complain about anything it would surely
be weight.

Again, thanks for the insight.

Old February 25th 12, 03:12 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-02-24 18:47:29 -0800, nick c said:

PeterN wrote:
On 2/23/2012 7:19 PM, nick c wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
Snip

[...]

Yup!
I also recommend the Black Rapid Strap. Use one and you will wonder
where the pain from hanging a DSLR around your neck went. I use the
RS-4 carrying one D300s. The only hassle is having to undo the fastener
from the tripod socket for tripod use. I usually just carry a QR plate
in my pocket and switch if I need to use a tripod.

The camera hangs upside down, but can be brought into play very quickly
from that position.
http://www.blackrapid.com/product/camera-strap/rs-7/

Another option for the active outdoor photographer is the Cotton
Carrier system. I have not used it myself, but I know some who use it
and find it indispensable for their purposes.
http://www.cottoncarrier.com/

Savageduck

Old February 25th 12, 03:15 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2012-02-24 21:47 , nick c wrote:

I didn't know (by brand name) what a Black Rapid R strap looked like so
I look it up and found the following. Look at the last picture of the
girl with two cameras. Does that rig look like the rig you use? My
cameras have battery packs and quick release plates attached to the
bottom of the battery packs. I've never run out of power and I often use
one of two lightweight tripods. I've found readily affixed quick release
plates to be a speedy tripod setup advantage.

It looks like the illustration shows the cameras are being carried
upside down. I guess I have to see one of those rigs to see if I would
be comfortable using such a strap and still keep my camera setups.

Definitely a system to try before buy. And I mean try for a full day if
possible.

The main thing I dislike about the rapid system (as shown) is that it
would slow down plopping a camera onto a tripod using a quick plate.
You'd have to unscrew the "knob-loop" from the bottom of the QR plate
(and not all QR plates have tapped 1/4 or 3/8" holes - mine do).

I've often seen them used by others, but never thought it would be of
much use to my shooting. I'm usually burdened with a bag and tripod too.

I said I didn't know."
-Samuel Clemens.
Old February 25th 12, 03:17 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2012-02-24 22:12 , Savageduck wrote:

Another option for the active outdoor photographer is the Cotton Carrier
system. I have not used it myself, but I know some who use it and find
it indispensable for their purposes.
http://www.cottoncarrier.com/

Looks a bit overdone to me - esp. the 'vest' version.

I said I didn't know."
-Samuel Clemens.
Old February 25th 12, 04:08 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-02-25 07:17:53 -0800, Alan Browne

On 2012-02-24 22:12 , Savageduck wrote:

Another option for the active outdoor photographer is the Cotton Carrier
system. I have not used it myself, but I know some who use it and find
it indispensable for their purposes.
http://www.cottoncarrier.com/

Looks a bit overdone to me - esp. the 'vest' version.

Agreed. It is not for me, it clashes with my sense of fashion, but
there are those who swear by it.

....and you still have the issue of the tripod socket in use by the
carrying system. I understand that a few the active rock climbing
photographers have adopted it, not much need for a tripod for some of
those folks up on El Cap.

Savageduck

Nikon non-news Me Digital SLR Cameras 14 July 10th 10 07:59 AM
NoComment News collects photos of actual news - call for pictures N 35mm Photo Equipment 0 July 6th 07 11:33 AM
NoComment News collects photos of actual news - no comment or media censorship N Digital Photography 0 July 5th 07 09:19 PM