Some different Nikon News

Old February 18th 12, 05:18 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Pete A

Default Some different Nikon News

On 2012-02-18 17:00:22 +0000, K W Hart said:

"Robert Coe" wrote in message
On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 19:53:54 -0500, Alan Browne
wrote:
: On 2012-02-17 18:06 , David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
:
: But absolutely having to have two cameras (or three if you believe you
: need two working ones to take to a gig) is itself a cost, and a rather
: large one.
:
: I don't know of any pro photog who brings less than 2 cameras to a gig,
: event, shoot, wedding, etc. His fees depend on taking photos at the
: time needed, not making excuses about failed eqt. Another commercial
: photographer nearby always has 3 cameras (sports, medical, etc.).
: Another brings 2 identical rigs (everything from cameras to lenses to
: lighting) to every wedding.
:
: The capital is depreciated at 20% per year making it a sliver of annual
: revenue. A couple news photogs I know always have 3 cameras, each with
: the 1 of the holy trinity lenes mounted. Saves time switching. Those
: cameras are owned by the paper, however. (Who still lay it off at
: 20%/year).

I usually carry two to an event or, say, a building construction tour,
where
it would be hard to stop and change lenses. But I draw the line there. I
can't
really imagine how I'd juggle three.

I actually think that this may have come up in one of the newsgroups some
years back and that one of the participants lectured me on how it's
possible
to carry more than two. But I'm afraid I remain unconvinced. Maybe if I
were
thirty years younger, ... :^)

Bob

Since my camera is a working tool, I find it a requirement to have and carry
spares. I shoot the Canon FX (1964-69) 35mm SLR. I have 475 camera bodies
and over 600 various lenses for them. I think I'm covered for spares!

I guess you won't be switching to Nikon in the near future.

Old February 18th 12, 06:59 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 10:02:22 -0500, Alan Browne
wrote:
: I've never carried more than 2 [cameras] and even that's a PITA.
: Was really a PITA on film as the "story line" would be broken
: across different rolls of film. Even with digital the sequencing
: is not linear v. the events.

The current version of Canon's "EOS Utility" lets you synchronize a camera's
time with that of your computer. So before a shoot you can set all the cameras
you might use to the exact same time. Then when you sort all the pictures by
shooting time and then rename, the sequencing will be correct. Don't know
whether all the manufacturers' SW allows that, but they usually follow each
other pretty closely in such matters.

Bob
Old February 18th 12, 07:13 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 16:18:54 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:
: On 2012-02-17 16:08:10 -0800, Eric Stevens said:
:
: On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 15:45:04 -0800, Savageduck
: wrote:
:
: On 2012-02-17 14:52:39 -0800, Eric Stevens said:
:
: On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 16:48:58 -0800, Savageduck
: wrote:
:
: I was noodling about on line and came across this regarding Nikon repairs.
: http://ifixit.org/1349/how-nikon-is-...camera-repair/
:
: I noted the story is promoted by Ifixit.com. Presumably they are no
: longer on the list of Nikon approved repairers. Perhaps at least some
: of their comments are due to sour grapes.
:
: Regards,
:
: Eric Stevens
:
: I think "promoted" might not be a good choice of words. It is their
: story. Camera repair is one part of their business, and when a
: manufacturer, or more likely in this case a distributer in Nikon USA
: denies them part of that business when they are more than capable of
: handling the task I guess they might not be happy about it. They have
: just made their situation known to all who might care.
:
: Ifixit is a great, knowledgeable, & geeky repair service specializing
: in repair of all types of electronics including digital cameras, Macs
: and Apple products in particular. They gained a reputation for being
: first in line to demonstrate tear down and reveals of Apple product
: innards.
:
: Along with making repairs they also provide DIY kits along with
: replacement parts and video guides. Here is one such DIY guide for an
: iPhone 4 repair.
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBpFP...feature=relmfu
:
: These guys are very good at what they do, and best of all they are
: local for me. I have only bought a logic board from them for my
: father's PowerBook G4 and I have been quite satisfied. In my opinion
: these are the guys who should be working at the Apple "Genius Bars".
:
: And I would expect them to be upset if Apple took away their access to
: Apple parts. I wonder what they would say about Apple?
:
: That would be far more damaging to their business than the loss of
: local Nikon repairs, and I imagine they would be just as vocal in
: protest since they have a fairly large platform. However, IMBW, but I
: suspect they have a somewhat different relationship with Apple and the
: folks in Cupertino.

Maybe they do, but in our relentlessly capitalistic society, opportunistic
greed almost invariably trumps existing relationships eventually. My guess is
that if Apple suddenly thought they could make a few bucks by doing so, they'd
drop Ifixit like a hot rock.

Bob
Old February 18th 12, 07:27 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 17:51:01 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:
: You [(Peter Newman)] are fortunate to have Nikon 10 minutes from your
: home. You might have noted the disassembled camera was a D70. These
: folks will repair older models, they do not touch lenses. It seems that
: Nikon USA is going to deny small repair businesses such as Ifixit the
: parts to repair older and discontinued cameras you have noted they will
: not repair.
:
: As far as botched repairs by unqualified folks, I agree, they have no
: reason to complain if Nikon fixing things results in a higher charge.
: That is a risk they took. However with regard to diagnostics with
: electronic devices such as digital cameras and computers they are more
: than competent.
:
: ...and for me they are only 40 minutes from where I live.

Who? The unqualified folks? :^)

Bob
Old February 18th 12, 08:07 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:
[...]

Yup! The competent unqualified folks - Ifixit.

Savageduck

Old February 18th 12, 10:34 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

:
: wrote:
:
[...]

That's why there are such things a contracts.

Regards,

Eric Stevens

Old February 18th 12, 11:02 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

: wrote:
: : On 2012-02-17 16:08:10 -0800, Eric Stevens said:
: :
: : On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 15:45:04 -0800, Savageduck
: : wrote:
: :
: : On 2012-02-17 14:52:39 -0800, Eric Stevens said:
: :
: : On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 16:48:58 -0800, Savageduck
: : wrote:
: :
[...]

And you can bet the rent money that when it comes to determining what the
contract means and when it can be broken, Apple will have more (and probably
better) lawyers on the case than Ifixit.

Bob

Sorry about the aborted post. I've had that happen several times in the past
couple of months. I'd like to blame it on my newsreader, but it's probably my
own inattention. :^|
Old February 19th 12, 01:56 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

: wrote:
: : On 2012-02-17 16:08:10 -0800, Eric Stevens said:
: :
: : On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 15:45:04 -0800, Savageduck
: : wrote:
: :
: : On 2012-02-17 14:52:39 -0800, Eric Stevens said:
: :
: : On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 16:48:58 -0800, Savageduck
: : wrote:
: :
[...]

This is especially important when the contract is being drawn up.

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Old February 19th 12, 02:47 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 2/18/2012 6:02 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 11:34:42 +1300, Eric
wrote:

snip
:
: That's why there are such things a contracts.

And you can bet the rent money that when it comes to determining what the
contract means and when it can be broken, Apple will have more (and probably
better) lawyers on the case than Ifixit.

Better lawyers doesn't mean a thing.

Who has the better judges. ;-)

--
Sorry about the aborted post. I've had that happen several times in

the past
couple of months. I'd like to blame it on my newsreader, but it's

probably my
own inattention. :^|

I can personally testify that it happens with age.
Peter

Nikon non-news Me Digital SLR Cameras 14 July 10th 10 07:59 AM
NoComment News collects photos of actual news - call for pictures N 35mm Photo Equipment 0 July 6th 07 11:33 AM
NoComment News collects photos of actual news - no comment or media censorship N Digital Photography 0 July 5th 07 09:19 PM