Are Duracells OK?

Old February 17th 12, 05:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
mianileng

Default Are Duracells OK?

I just sent my son to get me some AA Duracell alkalines from the
neighbourhood camera shop but they told him that they don't stock
Duracells anymore because they are no longer "good" - a term
which in my language can refer either to performance or to
reliability, or both. They offered another brand.

I seldom have a need for alkaline batteries for any purpose, so I
don't really know what to make of this claim. If it makes any
difference, I live in India and the Duracells we get here are
made in China. Can anyone enlighten me?

Old February 17th 12, 06:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_16_]

"mianileng" wrote in message
I just sent my son to get me some AA Duracell alkalines from the
neighbourhood camera shop but they told him that they don't stock
Duracells anymore because they are no longer "good" - a term which in my
language can refer either to performance or to reliability, or both.
They offered another brand.

I seldom have a need for alkaline batteries for any purpose, so I don't
really know what to make of this claim. If it makes any difference, I
live in India and the Duracells we get here are made in China. Can
anyone enlighten me?

I've not heard of any problems. I wouldn't hesitate to buy Duracell
today. That's not to say that there aren't any issues, of course!

Cheers,
David

Old February 17th 12, 07:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
mianileng

David J Taylor wrote:
"mianileng" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks. I got Duracells from another shop anyway, but I wanted to
know what the general situation is.

Old February 17th 12, 09:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 11:18:50 +0530, "mianileng"
wrote:

I just sent my son to get me some AA Duracell alkalines from the
neighbourhood camera shop but they told him that they don't stock
Duracells anymore because they are no longer "good" - a term
which in my language can refer either to performance or to
reliability, or both. They offered another brand.

I seldom have a need for alkaline batteries for any purpose, so I
don't really know what to make of this claim. If it makes any
difference, I live in India and the Duracells we get here are
made in China. Can anyone enlighten me?

One interpretation is that the other brand offers a better mark up.

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Old February 17th 12, 11:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 11:18:50 +0530, "mianileng" wrote:

I just sent my son to get me some AA Duracell alkalines from the
neighbourhood camera shop but they told him that they don't stock
Duracells anymore because they are no longer "good" - a term
which in my language can refer either to performance or to
reliability, or both. They offered another brand.

I seldom have a need for alkaline batteries for any purpose, so I
don't really know what to make of this claim. If it makes any
difference, I live in India and the Duracells we get here are
made in China. Can anyone enlighten me?

Try and get the ones made in Pakistan. They are a real blast to use...
Old February 17th 12, 03:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 2/17/12 1:13 AM, in article , "mianileng"
wrote:

David J Taylor wrote:
"mianileng" wrote in message
[...]

Duracell is the ONLY battery that Maglite recommends and will replace your
unit if one fails and leaks in the chamber. Someone just got a better deal
from the wholesaler at your camera shop, that's all.

Old February 17th 12, 04:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

"David J Taylor" writes:

"mianileng" wrote in message
I just sent my son to get me some AA Duracell alkalines from the
neighbourhood camera shop but they told him that they don't stock
Duracells anymore because they are no longer "good" - a term which
in my language can refer either to performance or to reliability, or
both. They offered another brand.

I seldom have a need for alkaline batteries for any purpose, so I
don't really know what to make of this claim. If it makes any
difference, I live in India and the Duracells we get here are made
in China. Can anyone enlighten me?

I've not heard of any problems. I wouldn't hesitate to buy Duracell
today. That's not to say that there aren't any issues, of course!

I haven't heard of problems. There were Duracells all over the battery
display I was browsing yesterday.

I actually bought Rayovacs at half the price.

--
David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
Old February 17th 12, 05:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
James Silverton[_3_]

On 2/17/2012 11:08 AM, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
"David J writes:

wrote in message
I just sent my son to get me some AA Duracell alkalines from the
neighbourhood camera shop but they told him that they don't stock
Duracells anymore because they are no longer "good" - a term which
in my language can refer either to performance or to reliability, or
both. They offered another brand.

I seldom have a need for alkaline batteries for any purpose, so I
don't really know what to make of this claim. If it makes any
difference, I live in India and the Duracells we get here are made
in China. Can anyone enlighten me?

I've not heard of any problems. I wouldn't hesitate to buy Duracell
today. That's not to say that there aren't any issues, of course!

I haven't heard of problems. There were Duracells all over the battery
display I was browsing yesterday.

I actually bought Rayovacs at half the price.

Do Rayovacs last as well? I remember reading some years ago that, unlike
EverReady, some companies' D-cells were identical *inside* to C-cells.

--
Jim Silverton

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Old February 17th 12, 06:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

"David J writes:

wrote in message
[...]

These were AAA.

Years ago, the articles I read said all alkaline cells were essentially
identical. Whether this is true specifically now, I don't know. I've
used Radio Shack brand cells a lot, and they seemed fine too.