New card error

Old December 27th 08, 11:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
shazzbat

Default New card error

I bought a new XD card for my Canon C450 zoom, and when I put it in and
turn on, the screen says card setup, and the options are power off, or
format. If I select power off then OK, unsurprisingly the camera turns
itself off. If I select Format, I then get yes or no options. If I select
no, it returns to the first screen. If I select yes, I get "card error".

Is the new card borked, or do I need to do something else? (the instruction
book is long since gone)

TIA
Steve

Old December 27th 08, 04:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
---------------

"shazzbat" wrote in message
I bought a new XD card for my Canon C450 zoom, and when I put it in and
turn on, the screen says card setup, and the options are power off, or
format. If I select power off then OK, unsurprisingly the camera turns
itself off. If I select Format, I then get yes or no options. If I select
no, it returns to the first screen. If I select yes, I get "card error".

Is the new card borked, or do I need to do something else? (the
instruction book is long since gone)

TIA
Steve

Canon cameras don't USE xD cards.... perhaps that is your problem.

Old December 27th 08, 11:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
shazzbat

"---------------" wrote in message

"shazzbat" wrote in message
I bought a new XD card for my Canon C450 zoom, and when I put it in and
turn on, the screen says card setup, and the options are power off, or
format. If I select power off then OK, unsurprisingly the camera turns
itself off. If I select Format, I then get yes or no options. If I select
no, it returns to the first screen. If I select yes, I get "card error".

Is the new card borked, or do I need to do something else? (the
instruction book is long since gone)

TIA
Steve

Canon cameras don't USE xD cards.... perhaps that is your problem.

No, that isn't the problem. Later ones use SD cards, perhaps this is what
you mean. I took the old card out and checked before ordering.

Thanks anyway
Steve

Old December 28th 08, 03:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Navas[_2_]

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 11:53:01 -0000, "shazzbat"
wrote in
:

I bought a new XD card for my Canon C450 zoom, and when I put it in and
turn on, the screen says card setup, and the options are power off, or
format. If I select power off then OK, unsurprisingly the camera turns
itself off. If I select Format, I then get yes or no options. If I select
no, it returns to the first screen. If I select yes, I get "card error".

Is the new card borked, or do I need to do something else? (the instruction
book is long since gone)

If you have a card reader/writer, use it to erase and test the card,
then try again.

The best flash drive diagnostic I know of is H2TestW:
http://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/2008/09/02/h2testw-14-gold-standard-in-detecting-usb-counterfeit-drives/

--
Very best wishes for the holiday season and for the coming new year,
John
Old December 28th 08, 09:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_7_]

John Navas wrote:
[]
The best flash drive diagnostic I know of is H2TestW:
http://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/2008/09/02/h2testw-14-gold-standard-in-detecting-usb-counterfeit-drives/

Thanks for that pointer, John. It looks to be a useful tool, although I
wish it would remember the last-used language and drive settings.

David

Old December 28th 08, 11:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
shazzbat

wrote in message

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"---------------" wrote in message

"shazzbat" wrote in message
I bought a new XD card for my Canon C450 zoom, and when I put it in and
turn on, the screen says card setup, and the options are power off, or
format. If I select power off then OK, unsurprisingly the camera turns
itself off. If I select Format, I then get yes or no options. If I select
no, it returns to the first screen. If I select yes, I get "card error".

Is the new card borked, or do I need to do something else? (the
instruction book is long since gone)

TIA
Steve

Canon cameras don't USE xD cards.... perhaps that is your problem.

No, that isn't the problem. Later ones use SD cards, perhaps this is what
you mean. I took the old card out and checked before ordering.

Did you order exactly the same size, type, and make? xD-picture card
has evolved to have M, M+, and H standards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XD-Pict...d_Type_H_cards
..............Due to changes in the cards' storage architecture, newer
Type M and H cards may suffer compatibility issues with some older
cameras (especially video recording). Compatibility lists are
available for Olympus: Olympus America’s and Fujifilm’s. The newer
cards are also incompatible with some card readers.

Ah, now that makes sense. So I check the camera and find the old card is
just XD, the new one is M. So that explains it.

And yes, it is an Olympus and not a Canon. My daughter's camera is a canon,
mine is a C450. In the Xmas frenzy it got hybridised in my befuddled brain.

And yes, the old card and the camera work just fine, I wanted a bigger
capacity card for when we go away and take lots of pics.

Thanks everybody.
Steve

Old December 28th 08, 04:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Navas[_2_]

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 11:17:20 -0000, "shazzbat"
wrote in
:

Did you order exactly the same size, type, and make? xD-picture card
has evolved to have M, M+, and H standards.

Sadly for consumers, Olympus didn't learn its lesson with the (not so)
SmartMedia debacle, and has now repeated it.