A Photography forum. PhotoBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PhotoBanter.com forum » Digital Photography » Digital ZLR Cameras
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Canon S3 or S5....?

Old July 23rd 07, 07:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.point+shoot,rec.photo.digital.zlr
David J Taylor[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default Canon S3 or S5....?

Peter J E Brunning wrote:
[]
I am very pleased with my FZ7. It's got a much better lens and zoom
than most point-and-shoot cameras and is smaller, lighter and cheaper
than an SLR. It was highly favoured in the zlr newsgroup when the
group was working well. I also have a personal preference for the
Lumix controls - I also have a nice small Canon but wonder if I
shouldn't have got another Lumix as they are perhaps even smaller.
That said, I am now wondering about an SLR...
Peter

Peter and others,

The rec.photo.digital.zlr group is still working well, and is the correct
place for this conversation. The charter of this newsgroup actually
excludes the ZLR cameras you are now discussing. Having said that, I
think that there is some justification for merging the groups having seen
how point+shoot cameras have advanced, and how manufacturers now prefer to
push DSLRs (greater profit on the accessories?) and have avoided producing
advanced ZLRs which might eat into those profits.

I have been using the earlier Panasonic FZ5 and been very pleased with the
results. I also carry a Nikon 8400 for wide-angle shots. Were I to get
another compact camera now, most likely it would be the Panasonic Lumix
TZ3

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonictz3/

I've recently seen a large number of images from this camera, and I like
the fit in the pocket size.

If you have need to use some of the large number of lenses available for a
DSLR, if you need low-light shooting at high ISO, of if you are
photographing randomly rapidly moving objects (no, not UFOs) such as
children or animals, a DSLR would be a good choice. I recently compared
the weight of the two small-sensor cameras in my bag (1.59kg) with a Nikon
D40 DSLR with kit lens and 55 - 200mm IS zoom (1.67kg).

Cheers,
David

Old July 25th 07, 04:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr
measekite
external usenet poster

Default Canon S3 or S5....?

After looking into the Canon S5 IS and reading everything I can about the Panasonic FZ8 I am planning on getting the Canon as soon as the price settles a little.  By that time the new Panasonic FZ18 will be shipping and it will list for $100.00 less ($399).  It will have a 28-560 zoom.  Wider and longer.  I think the sensor will also be larger.  I do plan on giving it a look see before I place my order.  I am wondering about the noise and the less quality.  The speed of the lens may be slower as well.

David J Taylor wrote:

Peter J E Brunning wrote: []

I am very pleased with my FZ7. It's got a much better lens and zoom than most point-and-shoot cameras and is smaller, lighter and cheaper than an SLR. It was highly favoured in the zlr newsgroup when the group was working well. I also have a personal preference for the Lumix controls - I also have a nice small Canon but wonder if I shouldn't have got another Lumix as they are perhaps even smaller. That said, I am now wondering about an SLR... Peter

Peter and others, The rec.photo.digital.zlr group is still working well, and is the correct place for this conversation. The charter of this newsgroup actually excludes the ZLR cameras you are now discussing. Having said that, I think that there is some justification for merging the groups having seen how point+shoot cameras have advanced, and how manufacturers now prefer to push DSLRs (greater profit on the accessories?) and have avoided producing advanced ZLRs which might eat into those profits. I have been using the earlier Panasonic FZ5 and been very pleased with the results. I also carry a Nikon 8400 for wide-angle shots. Were I to get another compact camera now, most likely it would be the Panasonic Lumix TZ3 http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonictz3/ I've recently seen a large number of images from this camera, and I like the fit in the pocket size. If you have need to use some of the large number of lenses available for a DSLR, if you need low-light shooting at high ISO, of if you are photographing randomly rapidly moving objects (no, not UFOs) such as children or animals, a DSLR would be a good choice. I recently compared the weight of the two small-sensor cameras in my bag (1.59kg) with a Nikon D40 DSLR with kit lens and 55 - 200mm IS zoom (1.67kg). Cheers, David