New Canon TX-1 Looks Weird

Old February 22nd 07, 05:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Wayne J. Cosshall

Default New Canon TX-1 Looks Weird

Hi All,

In the new releases is the Powershot TX-1, a weird still camera that
also shoot HD video:
http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=896

Cheers,

Wayne

--
Wayne J. Cosshall
Old February 22nd 07, 06:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Paul Rubin

"Wayne J. Cosshall" writes:
In the new releases is the Powershot TX-1, a weird still camera that
also shoot HD video:

It has a bunch of really stupid limitations, such as max 13 minute
movie clips (4GB) and max 1.5 hour audio (1GB), even though it takes
SDHC cards (8GB cards are already available with 16GB coming). Plus
it has a tiny sensor with too many pixels, and looks like it uses an
internal lithium battery that's both proprietary and runtime-limiting.

It's an indication of what's coming, though. Maybe they'll make an AA
version sometime.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0702/07022203canontx1.asp
Old February 22nd 07, 06:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Wayne J. Cosshall

Paul Rubin wrote:
"Wayne J. Cosshall" writes:
In the new releases is the Powershot TX-1, a weird still camera that
also shoot HD video:

It has a bunch of really stupid limitations, such as max 13 minute
movie clips (4GB) and max 1.5 hour audio (1GB), even though it takes
SDHC cards (8GB cards are already available with 16GB coming). Plus
it has a tiny sensor with too many pixels, and looks like it uses an
internal lithium battery that's both proprietary and runtime-limiting.

It's an indication of what's coming, though. Maybe they'll make an AA
version sometime.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0702/07022203canontx1.asp

Yes, there is definitely going to be a merger of at least some types of
still camera and video. Both will likely still exist separately for a
long time, but I can see a growing segment of crossover cameras. Why
have two when one will do it all, I am sure, will be the marketing motto.

Cheers,

Wayne

--
Wayne J. Cosshall
Old February 22nd 07, 06:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Paul Rubin

"Wayne J. Cosshall" writes:
Yes, there is definitely going to be a merger of at least some types
of still camera and video. Both will likely still exist separately for
a long time, but I can see a growing segment of crossover cameras. Why
have two when one will do it all, I am sure, will be the marketing
motto.

I used to be very opposed to that but I'm sort of ok with it now.
However, this TX-1 seems to me to do a lousy job, for the reasons I
mentioned. Basically I'd rather have a gadget that does one thing
well than two things badly. And yikes, it seems to have no external
mic input!

I wonder how the TX-1's audio quality is. I've shot some video clips
with my A530 and it's kind of fun, but the A530's audio is terrible.
Old February 22nd 07, 08:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Wayne J. Cosshall

Paul Rubin wrote:
"Wayne J. Cosshall" writes:
Yes, there is definitely going to be a merger of at least some types
of still camera and video. Both will likely still exist separately for
a long time, but I can see a growing segment of crossover cameras. Why
have two when one will do it all, I am sure, will be the marketing
motto.

I used to be very opposed to that but I'm sort of ok with it now.
However, this TX-1 seems to me to do a lousy job, for the reasons I
mentioned. Basically I'd rather have a gadget that does one thing
well than two things badly. And yikes, it seems to have no external
mic input!

I wonder how the TX-1's audio quality is. I've shot some video clips
with my A530 and it's kind of fun, but the A530's audio is terrible.

Agreed. In theory it should be possible to make a camera that is good at
both, but I think it is a long way till we get there, if ever in
practice. That said, because I tend to mostly take a still camera with
me (well usually two, my IR body and the normal one) I have had
occasions when some decent video capability would have been nice. On the
other hand if I could only get my wife to carry the video camera, I'd be
set

Cheers,

Wayne

--
Wayne J. Cosshall
Old February 22nd 07, 08:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Paul Rubin

"Wayne J. Cosshall" writes:
Agreed. In theory it should be possible to make a camera that is
good at both [stills and video], but I think it is a long way till
we get there, if ever in practice.

Maybe the requirements are different. I'm never going to shoot a
feature film with a pocket sized camera, and I'm not going to pixel
peep video frames. So I'm ok with VGA resolution for video in a
pocket camera. On the other hand I'm always after more and more low
light performance.

They are using a 1/2.5" sensor in that TX-1, so if they went for
making it a pure video camera, at 640x480 that would give around 9
micron pixels, beating all current DSLR's for pixel size. With a
640x480 APS-C sensor (not so expensive any more, due to mass market
consumer DSLR's) they could beat even professional video cameras.
They just don't dare to make the resolution that low.
Old February 22nd 07, 08:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr
David J Taylor

Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:
Hi All,

In the new releases is the Powershot TX-1, a weird still camera that
also shoot HD video:
http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=896

Cheers,

Wayne

Thanks for that pointer. At first I thought it was a bit early for April
1st! But I've had good video snippets from several cameras, and it's
surprising how well it complements still photos.

On another group, someone is talking about which high-end camera is needed
to photograph his children, and yet he appears to be ignoring the video
side altogether. Oh, well!

Cheers,
David

Old February 22nd 07, 09:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Mr.T

"Wayne J. Cosshall" wrote in message
On the other hand if I could only get my wife to carry the video camera,
I'd be set

Now that's a serious admission of failure on your part :-)

MrT.

Old February 22nd 07, 09:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Mr.T

"Paul Rubin" wrote in message
They are using a 1/2.5" sensor in that TX-1, so if they went for
making it a pure video camera, at 640x480 that would give around 9
micron pixels, beating all current DSLR's for pixel size. With a
640x480 APS-C sensor (not so expensive any more, due to mass market
consumer DSLR's) they could beat even professional video cameras.
They just don't dare to make the resolution that low.

Why would they want to. People here want at least 720*576 for video (or
usually 1080 these days)
Frankly I'd rather have a 3ccd hard drive hiDef video camera with the same
size sensors :-)

MrT.

Old February 22nd 07, 09:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Paul Rubin

"Mr.T" MrT@home writes:
Why would they want to. People here want at least 720*576 for video (or
usually 1080 these days)

OK, SVGA or even 1080 then. But when I watch VGA video blown up to my
1600x1200 screen it still looks fine.

Frankly I'd rather have a 3ccd hard drive hiDef video camera with the same
size sensors :-)

3ccd looks sort of obsolete to me. Larger single CCD's are getting
cheaper and cheaper to make, but as the CCD's get larger the prisms
and alignment systems for 3ccd systems get ridiculously expensive. So
you've got the semipro Sony VX2100 or its HDV successor with 3x 1/3"
CCD's at around $2000 and the next model up, with 1/2" CCD's is around
$5000. But three 1/3" CCD's is around the same sensor area as 1/1.8".
It avoids the light losses in the Bayer sensor but it still doesn't
collect anywhere near as many photons as a 4/3" sensor much less an
APS-C sensor. The $17,500, 12 MP, super duper Red digital cinema
camera will apparently use an APS-C sized sensor but I seriously don't
see the obstacle to doing that at the VX2100 price level and HDV
resolution.