My latest musings about photography

Old January 28th 07, 02:07 AM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Gary Eickmeier

Default My latest musings about photography

Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

There's been some argument now and then about maybe adding version
numbering to Sun's ZFS filesystem, and it got interesting with the old
TOPS-20 hacks saying how simple and useful it was an other people
saying how it would pollute your directories and make everything
totally confusing :-).

(I was a customer from 1977-1979, supported TOPS-20 and VMS in the
field until 1981, and was in Marlboro in the layered products group
until 1985).

HI David,

TOPS-20 was pretty great and was a nice OS to do sys admin and systems
programming on back then. If I remember rightly you could set a
preference in a config file as to how many back versions you wanted to
keep. Saved my bacon on a number of occasions.

What is this about versions? When I save as different types of files, it
still has the photo's original number from the camera. Even if I renamed
it, it would still be "Doggy.jpg" and "Doggy.TIF." What's the problem?

Gary Eickmeier
Old January 28th 07, 02:19 AM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Wayne J. Cosshall

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

[...]

What we are talking about is this old operating system would save a
file, say xyz.psd as xyz.psd.001, when it is saved next time as
xyz.psd.002 and so on. What I do manually is, when I am working on an
image, say steadily working on it till I am finally happy I manually do
Save as and then change the name to xyz v2.psd, etc. This way I have a
number of files back to previous developments of my image. This works
for me because I may take an image in multiple directions and then later
decide which I prefer.

Cheers,

Wayne

--
Wayne J. Cosshall
Old January 28th 07, 07:22 AM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
kosh

Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:
Gary Eickmeier wrote:

Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

[...]

..... and in the wonderful world of digital.... we can't go back to the
negatives should we have an ooppsee

Old January 28th 07, 07:35 AM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Gary Eickmeier

kosh wrote:

.... and in the wonderful world of digital.... we can't go back to the
negatives should we have an ooppsee

?

The "negative" is the original file. Why can't you go back to it?

Gary Eickmeier
Old January 28th 07, 08:40 AM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
dj_nme

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

kosh wrote:

.... and in the wonderful world of digital.... we can't go back to the
negatives should we have an ooppsee

?

The "negative" is the original file. Why can't you go back to it?

Gary Eickmeier

In Wayne's post, he described a system in which the original is never
over-written.
So the file still exists to return to.

I'm not realy sure what Kosh is getting at either.

Unless by "oopsee" he means a system or disc crash that wipes out all
the files on the disc, and you haven't made a CDROM or DVD backup
beforehand.
Old January 28th 07, 09:20 PM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
David Dyer-Bennet

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

[...]

Incremental saves along the way as you edit. Yielding Doggie.tif.1,
doggie.tif.2, doggie.tif.3, and so forth. There's a command to to purge
additional versions all at once, or by file, so it's easy to clean up
when things settle down.
Old February 8th 07, 02:08 AM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Paul Furman

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

Obviously, you don't destroy the original when you "Save as" and
put the edited file somewhere else. I typically open my file,
manipulate it as desired, then Save as a TIF so that I don't lose
anything by compressing it more, and so that the original remains
untouched. You aren't actually operating on your original file when
you edit; you are just using the copy of it that you imported into
Photoshop. No destoying is going on, unless you just hit "Save" and
it replaces your camera original.

Gary Eickmeier

The disadvantage of save as is that you end up with multiple
versions of the same file, causing versioning and backup issues.

Cheers,

Wayne

How is it any more versions than your method? And my saved files
don't have multiple layers to save.

Gary Eickmeier

Hi Gary,

It isn't necessarily, but it can be. Before using adjustment layers I
would save the original, a slightly tweaked version and then multiple
versions as I played with the image or parts there of. Since neither
Windows or Mac OS have auto file version numbering (something the Dec
System 20 I was a systems programmer on over 25 years ago even had) I
tack a version number on the end of the file name. With adjustment
layers I find that number reduced, since I may include multiple
adjustment layers that I leave turned on or off in the one file version.

Photoshop CS loads something in my system tray called Adobe Version Cue
which presumably handles this. I think it's more important in workgroups.