My latest musings about photography

Old January 22nd 07, 12:52 AM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Richard Polhill

Default My latest musings about photography

Paul Rubin wrote:
"Wayne J. Cosshall" writes:

I love adjustment layers too.
It is not only hobbyists who go back and revisit. Also the fine art
photographers (who may be professional) often revisit old images as
their 'vision' changes.

Could someone explain what adjustment layers are? If you want to edit
non destructively, why not just make a copy of the original file
before starting to edit?

It allows you to make successive adjustments and then go back and change
underlying adjustments without having to redo later ones.

Eg. apply colour filters and then desaturate. You can change the hue and
density of the colour filter and see the effects on the monochrome image.
Old January 22nd 07, 02:08 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Just D

Hi Doug!

Could you tell how did you stitch the high resolution panoramic shots? You
wrote: "I tried Hugin on some panoramas I took", what's that? Some PS
plug-in?

Just D.

Old January 22nd 07, 02:18 AM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Gary Eickmeier

Richard Polhill wrote:
Paul Rubin wrote:

"Wayne J. Cosshall" writes:

I love adjustment layers too.
It is not only hobbyists who go back and revisit. Also the fine art
photographers (who may be professional) often revisit old images as
their 'vision' changes.

Could someone explain what adjustment layers are? If you want to edit
non destructively, why not just make a copy of the original file
before starting to edit?

It allows you to make successive adjustments and then go back and change
underlying adjustments without having to redo later ones.

Eg. apply colour filters and then desaturate. You can change the hue and
density of the colour filter and see the effects on the monochrome image.

Obviously, you don't destroy the original when you "Save as" and put the
edited file somewhere else. I typically open my file, manipulate it as
desired, then Save as a TIF so that I don't lose anything by compressing
it more, and so that the original remains untouched. You aren't actually
operating on your original file when you edit; you are just using the
copy of it that you imported into Photoshop. No destoying is going on,
unless you just hit "Save" and it replaces your camera original.

Gary Eickmeier
Old January 22nd 07, 06:51 AM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
David Dyer-Bennet

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

Richard Polhill wrote:
Paul Rubin wrote:

"Wayne J. Cosshall" writes:

[...]

However, if you want to change any of your choices, you have to go back
to the camera original and do everything over from the beginning; you
can't change just one curves adjustment applied via a mask to part of
the picture -- because you've actually changed the pixels in the image.
Old January 22nd 07, 10:06 AM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Noons

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

gimp has adjustment layers as well...

As of what version? I don't remember finding them, but I don't actually
*use* Gimp, I just try to check in now and then to avoid being totally
ignorant (like this, but oh well).

the one I have is 2.2

Old January 22nd 07, 11:19 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
bugbear

Just D wrote:
Hi Doug!

Could you tell how did you stitch the high resolution panoramic shots? You
wrote: "I tried Hugin on some panoramas I took", what's that? Some PS
plug-in?

Err. Try googling "hugin".

BugBear
Old January 22nd 07, 08:57 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Bill Funk

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 13:43:57 -0500, Gary Eickmeier
wrote:

Sounds like you are a fast learner. And experienced photographer.

Yes, indeed.

Your roving ISO procedure is new. Anyone else do this? I think we all
end up checking our LCD after pictures are taken, to reassure ourselves
that the highlights haven't been blown out and the color is right. No
miracle procedures on light reading, even with digital. I think the
ideal would be live preview, such as the R1 Sony and the Oly 330.

With my 30D, I usually set the ISO to 200, and let it go from there,
as much as possible.
For my use, ISO 200 is as noise-free as 100, and I gain a shutter
speed. Works for me.

Gary Eickmeier

--
Jesse Jackson said Thursday
it's all but certain he will
Old January 23rd 07, 02:56 AM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Gary Eickmeier

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
Gary Eickmeier wrote:

Obviously, you don't destroy the original when you "Save as" and put
the edited file somewhere else. I typically open my file, manipulate
it as desired, then Save as a TIF so that I don't lose anything by
compressing it more, and so that the original remains untouched. You
aren't actually operating on your original file when you edit; you are
just using the copy of it that you imported into Photoshop. No
destoying is going on, unless you just hit "Save" and it replaces your
camera original.

However, if you want to change any of your choices, you have to go back
to the camera original and do everything over from the beginning; you
can't change just one curves adjustment applied via a mask to part of
the picture -- because you've actually changed the pixels in the image.

Sure, but... my editing isn't usually all that extensive. I just do it,
and save my good image as a TIF, and I'm done with it. You ever go thru
300 wedding shots at once?

Gary Eickmeier
Old January 23rd 07, 03:38 AM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
David Dyer-Bennet

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
Gary Eickmeier wrote:

[...]

Yes, last month I think it was. (One of four weddings I've done in the
last 10 years, but yes.) I've said at considerable length in a number
of posts that the wort of workflow a photographer needs/wants depends
among other things on the kind of work they're doing, and cited wedding
photographers as people likely to need to work with high volumes and
need to not spend much time on individual pictures. So it doesn't
surprise me that you don't -- for wedding pictures.
Old January 23rd 07, 05:05 AM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Gary Eickmeier

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

Yes, last month I think it was. (One of four weddings I've done in the
last 10 years, but yes.) I've said at considerable length in a number
of posts that the wort of workflow a photographer needs/wants depends
among other things on the kind of work they're doing, and cited wedding
photographers as people likely to need to work with high volumes and
need to not spend much time on individual pictures. So it doesn't
surprise me that you don't -- for wedding pictures.

Amen, bro. Which brings up a great question: I've been wondering about
the practicality of just sending the lab my camera files (JPEGs) and
letting them sort out the corrections - just like we used to do with
film. That would really simplify our lives. Have you ever thought about it?

Gary Eickmeier