My latest musings about photography

Old January 21st 07, 09:25 PM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
kosh

Default My latest musings about photography

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
VicTek wrote:

Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:

Hi All,

I've posted a new column article, called "Why Do Some Fear Photoshop
and Others Think Digital Photography is Something Special?" to my
site at:
http://www.dimagemaker.com/specials/dimw.php

Cheers,

Wayne

My fear of Photoshop is what it may do to my wallet, so I'll stay
with PhotoPlus (and it's companion product PagePlus).
Dave Cohen

Yes, Photoshop does cause one's wallet to be overexposed g. There
are many photo-editing programs that are quite capable that cost a lot
less than PS. I imagine there are jobs that only PS can do well, but
as a hobbyist I've managed without it.

In many ways a hobbyist is *more* at risk there; we don't mostly have
the production rate, and hence the need for a really efficient workflow,
that professionals do. We can afford the luxury of hand-tuning each
exposure (just like we used to do in the darkroom).

Personally, I'm addicted to non-destructive editing, and hence
adjustment layers. Again, this is more an amateur problem in some ways
(and high-end professionals of some sorts). People doing wedding work,
say, will never look at a picture again after their first hit at it (if
they even consider hand-adjustment at all, with that kind of volume), so
doing destructive editing is fine. But I'm always going back to old
photos (I've re-edited scans of old negatives, so I've adjusted that
photo *at least* three times). Only Photoshop has adjustment layers,
that I know of. Sigh.

Ihear good things about gimp... and it's free!
application made for linux, it has many parralells to ps.

I have ps, so have not spent too much time with it, but a skim thru
themenus looked quite promising.

kosh
Old January 21st 07, 10:44 PM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Wayne J. Cosshall

Bill Funk wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 00:07:02 +1100, "Wayne J. Cosshall"
wrote:

Hi All,

I've posted a new column article, called "Why Do Some Fear Photoshop and
Others Think Digital Photography is Something Special?" to my site at:
http://www.dimagemaker.com/specials/dimw.php

Cheers,

Wayne

An interesting treatise. I don't agree with it all, but it does deal
with some interesting ideas.
BTW, "bares" should be "bears".

Thanks, I fixed the typo

Cheers,

Wayne

--
Wayne J. Cosshall
Old January 21st 07, 10:45 PM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Wayne J. Cosshall

Dave Cohen wrote:
Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:
Hi All,

I've posted a new column article, called "Why Do Some Fear Photoshop
and Others Think Digital Photography is Something Special?" to my site
at:
http://www.dimagemaker.com/specials/dimw.php

Cheers,

Wayne

My fear of Photoshop is what it may do to my wallet, so I'll stay with
PhotoPlus (and it's companion product PagePlus).
Dave Cohen

True. And of course when I speak of Photoshop I also mean all the other
similar programs.

Cheers,

Wayne

--
Wayne J. Cosshall
Old January 21st 07, 10:47 PM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Wayne J. Cosshall

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

In many ways a hobbyist is *more* at risk there; we don't mostly have
the production rate, and hence the need for a really efficient workflow,
that professionals do. We can afford the luxury of hand-tuning each
exposure (just like we used to do in the darkroom).

Personally, I'm addicted to non-destructive editing, and hence
adjustment layers. Again, this is more an amateur problem in some ways
(and high-end professionals of some sorts). People doing wedding work,
say, will never look at a picture again after their first hit at it (if
they even consider hand-adjustment at all, with that kind of volume), so
doing destructive editing is fine. But I'm always going back to old
photos (I've re-edited scans of old negatives, so I've adjusted that
photo *at least* three times). Only Photoshop has adjustment layers,
that I know of. Sigh.

I love adjustment layers too.
It is not only hobbyists who go back and revisit. Also the fine art
photographers (who may be professional) often revisit old images as
their 'vision' changes.

Cheers,

Wayne
--
Wayne J. Cosshall
Old January 21st 07, 10:58 PM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Paul Rubin

"Wayne J. Cosshall" writes:
I love adjustment layers too.
It is not only hobbyists who go back and revisit. Also the fine art
photographers (who may be professional) often revisit old images as
their 'vision' changes.

Could someone explain what adjustment layers are? If you want to edit
non destructively, why not just make a copy of the original file
before starting to edit?
Old January 21st 07, 11:00 PM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Noons

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

photo *at least* three times). Only Photoshop has adjustment layers,
that I know of. Sigh.

gimp has adjustment layers as well...

Old January 21st 07, 11:05 PM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Wayne J. Cosshall

Paul Rubin wrote:
"Wayne J. Cosshall" writes:
I love adjustment layers too.
It is not only hobbyists who go back and revisit. Also the fine art
photographers (who may be professional) often revisit old images as
their 'vision' changes.

Could someone explain what adjustment layers are? If you want to edit
non destructively, why not just make a copy of the original file
before starting to edit?

Adjustment layers allow you to apply an effect, like levels or curves to
a layer in a non-permanent way that allows you to turn it on and off or
change the setting at will. They come automatically with a mask and I
use them extensively on my complex image blends:
http://www.artinyourface.com/elysium/index.html

Cheers,

Wayne

--
Wayne J. Cosshall
Old January 21st 07, 11:07 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
David Kilpatrick

Gary Eickmeier wrote:
Sounds like you are a fast learner. And experienced photographer.

Your roving ISO procedure is new. Anyone else do this? I think we all
end up checking our LCD after pictures are taken, to reassure ourselves
that the highlights haven't been blown out and the color is right. No
miracle procedures on light reading, even with digital. I think the
ideal would be live preview, such as the R1 Sony and the Oly 330.

The Pentax K10D offers two modes which do the roving ISO automatically -
Sv, which varies the ISO as part of the program, and TAv, which allows
you to vary either T or A and changes the sensitivity to stop the other
one changing.

Since it does this in 1/3rd steps by default, and the shutter and
aperture are also in 1/3rd steps, it's got a huge range of possible
settings.

David
Old January 22nd 07, 12:22 AM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
David Dyer-Bennet

Paul Rubin wrote:
"Wayne J. Cosshall" writes:
I love adjustment layers too.
It is not only hobbyists who go back and revisit. Also the fine art
photographers (who may be professional) often revisit old images as
their 'vision' changes.

Could someone explain what adjustment layers are? If you want to edit
non destructively, why not just make a copy of the original file
before starting to edit?

That's an assumed minimum; *always* archive the camera-original.

The point of this kind of "non-destructive" editing is that I can fiddle
with the main curves adjustment 5 times over three weeks, and fiddle
with a couple of subsidiary masked curves adjustments, and fiddle with
the masks on those subsidiary adjustments, in multiple photoshop
sessions, without working on the real pixels over and over again.
Changing the real pixels over and over again gradually ruins them --
adjust up, and down, and over, and up a little again, and you don't get
a picture that looks as good as the one you'd get if you made just the
final net adjustment in one step.

An adjustment layer is a layer of one of the supported tools (mine are
essentially always curves layers) which sits there in the image stack
and is applied to the pixels as they're presented to it. The original
pixels sit at the bottom unchanged. When you print, or flatten the
image and reduce the size and save a web copy, then all the adjustments
are actually carried out -- in one pass starting from the original pixels.

You can of course always start completely from scratch with the camera
original -- but that means redoing *everything*. With an adjustment
layer I can decide to just slightly darken the midtones, after thinking
about it a week -- *without* having to start over and re-do everything.

On a picture I'm trying to do real exhibition-quality printing from,
I'll nearly always have two or three curves layers, often more. Usually
all but one of them have layer masks. There'll generally be one or more
retouch and alteration layers as well.
Old January 22nd 07, 12:23 AM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
David Dyer-Bennet

Noons wrote:
David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

photo *at least* three times). Only Photoshop has adjustment layers,
that I know of. Sigh.

gimp has adjustment layers as well...

As of what version? I don't remember finding them, but I don't actually
*use* Gimp, I just try to check in now and then to avoid being totally
ignorant (like this, but oh well).