Convert to the FZ30

Old May 16th 06, 12:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

Default Convert to the FZ30

I was a Leica M3 user, a Nikon Fm user, a (for Pete's sake) Koni-Omega
user... now I have a Lumix FZ30....oh goodness me....

would some kind soul tell me where to buy the accessories, remote
switch etc... and does the switch use a standard micro-jack which i
could just cobble together myself.

David

Old May 16th 06, 12:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

So, now that you have the FZ30, how does it compare to your previous
cameras? I'm just curious.
Robert A. Cunningham

oups.com...

Old May 18th 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

The FZ30 is a delight: I find myself taking it everywhere...used it to
document taking a foreign body out of someone's^^^^^^^^^^^^ ...OOps did
I mention i was a doctor?, I took it to my son's baseball game and was
not in the slightest envious of the gentleman next to me with his Canon
eos digital thingy and honking great zoom.

I love my M3, the 50mm F/2 Summicron is sweet and I have taken the best
handheld pictures of my life with this camera.

The FM is a friend... I use a 35mm /2.8 PC Nikkor and a 105 /2.5 Nikkor

I got on a Hurrell kick with the koni... couldn't justify a hasselblad
with the koni at not very much money and i can get beautiful negs with
deep shadow detail.

I shall probably get a couple of cosina voigtlander wides for the M3...
It's in really nice condition so I'm afraid to use it every day. I will
have to evaluate the same picture taken with all cameras.

When I go on vacation with my family, it's going to be the panasonic.
The turning point for me was getting to meet Burt Bacharach only to
find i was out of film.

aaarrgh. next time I meet him.... The panasonic.

David

Old May 19th 06, 04:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

I too am a Leica (M2 in my case) guy who bought a FZ 10 about a year ago.

It has pros 'n cons.

Pros: High ratio zoom lens, sharp optics, relative light and small in
size and probably one of the best image stabilizers to be had.

Cons: Lousy for wildlife photography, proprietary battery and some lens
distortion at very wide/long focal lengths. Perhaps I should add
"noise" to the mix.

JT

Old May 19th 06, 11:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

On 19/05/2006 04:14 Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

Cons: Lousy for wildlife photography

Could you expand on this please...

--
Frank
Old May 19th 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

Too slow in response and less-than-accurate auto focus.

Don't get me wrong, I like the camera (FZ 10) but the Leica M
rangefinder is quick and deadly accurate. The rest depends on your
"trigger" finger.

Of course, the FZ 30 may have overcome some of these drawbacks but I'm
not about to go our and get the latest version in order to "keep up with
the Jones'." For wildlife photography, I'll just revert to the M2 with
the 90MM and grab an image from a scanner.

JT

Old May 19th 06, 07:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

On 19/05/2006 16:43 Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

Of course, the FZ 30 may have overcome some of these drawbacks

I'll know in around three weeks time as I'll be in Kenya with my FZ30.

--
Frank
Old May 19th 06, 07:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

On Fri, 19 May 2006 15:43:28 GMT
Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

Too slow in response and less-than-accurate auto focus.

Interesting. I would have put "too short a lens" first on the list.
I use an old Oly C700 with a long end equivalent to something like
380mm. For bird photography, I've wished for a lens two or three
times that long. Shutter lag and autofocus accuracy are also problems,
but the inability to get close enough is the killer for me.

Don't get me wrong, I like the camera (FZ 10) but the Leica M
rangefinder is quick and deadly accurate. The rest depends on your
"trigger" finger.

The FZ10 has a really sweet manual focus compared to the menu-and-
joystick contraption on my C700. What happens to the shutter lag
if you turn off the autofocus and use that neat ring on the lens?
I'm tempted to ask what happens if you switch to full-manual exposure,
but I guess trading the auto-exposure lag for fiddling with the joystick
might not work out well.

Of course, the FZ 30 may have overcome some of these drawbacks but I'm
not about to go our and get the latest version in order to "keep up
with the Jones'."

The FZ30 doesn't appear to have improved shutter lag timings over the
FZ20, but it does have convenient dedicated controls for aperture and
shutter speed that might make full manual operation feasible. Dpreview
doesn't appear to have a review of the FZ10, for some reason.

For wildlife photography, I'll just revert to the
M2 with the 90MM and grab an image from a scanner.

Yeah, whatever works. I've got a friend who's dumped his digital gear
and now uses only medium-format film and a high-end scanner. He's
happy as a pig in mud. :-)

Paul Allen